+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSTP question "this is the date they became qualified to practice on their own in Canada"

mattrawlins86

Star Member
Oct 9, 2019
Hi I'm hoping someone may be able to help with a clear answer on this.
I am an Australian qualified electrician with my Canadian qualification also. I'm applying under the FSTP.
I'm trying to answer a question to finish creating my profile. I know I can legally work in British Columbia Canada with my Australian licence for an Electrical company however I cant figure out whether I am "qualified to practice on my own in Canada"? (Under my Australian qualification)
One answer will mean I put the date I became qualified in Canada (2 weeks ago) or when I became qualifed in Australia (6 years ago) so I'm not sure if this will negatively affect my points.
I have spoken to the industry training authority in B.C and Technical Safety B.C and neither could give me a clear answer.
Below is the question copied and pasted from my profile.
Thank you in advance for any help!

Date applicant first became qualified to practice in this occupation

If the "primary occupation" is:
  • a qualified trade (four-digit code begins with 632, 633, 72, 73, 82, 92), this is the date they became qualified to practice on their own in Canada. (For example, when they moved from apprentice to being a licensed tradesperson.)
  • any other job, this is the date they first obtained the minimum education or training stated in the NOC description. (Note: if the NOC only states high school, this is the date they graduated.)