+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Frustrated IT Project Manager from Singapore

vinz1985

Aug 24, 2020
Let me give you a brief introduction about me-
  • Working in Singapore for the last 10 years
  • 35 Years old, living with my wife and son
  • Studied Diploma in Singapore (Full time 3 years) and part time degree (B.E 2 yrs. course, distance learning from Coventry uni)
  • Currently a permanent resident in Singapore and working as an IT Project Manager.
For outsiders, it may seem a perfect life. But I am not happy living here. I want to migrate to Canada. I hear people who are not even degree holders migrate to excellent places... I dont even get any calls from any employers. Everytime I get rejection letters.. I heard people saying "You are IT project manager.. wow... you can go anywhere!" but no calls at all.. im already 35.. i want to migrate soon.. feeling depressed..

Currently I am trying to create a profile into Canada express entry pool and hope to have some luck through PNP as my points are not much (just around 400-420). I have registered for IELTS in Sep and given my certs to WES. I have also created my profile in Arrima for Quebec migration.

My question is-
  1. Canada doesnt value any IT Project Managers ?
  2. Did I choose the wrong profession which is not a good profession for migration to Europe/Aus/NZ/Canada?
  3. I am ready for any kind of job (I did waiter jobs while studying 13 years back) BUT in Canada, they need me to be working in that particular NOC for last few years. I am ready to do anything to migrate there (pls dont tell me to take student visa).
  4. Please tell me if I have left any stones unturned- like creating profiles somewhere.... or sending emails or contacting anyone etc.. anything? please tell me.
Thanks for reading my rant. thanks for your patience. hoping a swift reply.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Well it is generally impossible to secure any job from outside of Canada whilst there are plenty of candidates already in the country so you probably need to focus on increasing your score. You would need around 470 to qualify for EE so maybe look at PNP program or and I am not sure about qualification requirements but maybe the AIPP.

Based on other posts here IT roles within country are still positive just not good for recruiting from outside unless unique skills, so doubtful PMs Unfortunately.

Keep positive though and work on your score

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Let me give you a brief introduction about me-
  • Working in Singapore for the last 10 years
  • 35 Years old, living with my wife and son
  • Studied Diploma in Singapore (Full time 3 years) and part time degree (B.E 2 yrs. course, distance learning from Coventry uni)
  • Currently a permanent resident in Singapore and working as an IT Project Manager.
For outsiders, it may seem a perfect life. But I am not happy living here. I want to migrate to Canada. I hear people who are not even degree holders migrate to excellent places... I dont even get any calls from any employers. Everytime I get rejection letters.. I heard people saying "You are IT project manager.. wow... you can go anywhere!" but no calls at all.. im already 35.. i want to migrate soon.. feeling depressed..

Currently I am trying to create a profile into Canada express entry pool and hope to have some luck through PNP as my points are not much (just around 400-420). I have registered for IELTS in Sep and given my certs to WES. I have also created my profile in Arrima for Quebec migration.

My question is-
  1. Canada doesnt value any IT Project Managers ?
  2. Did I choose the wrong profession which is not a good profession for migration to Europe/Aus/NZ/Canada?
  3. I am ready for any kind of job (I did waiter jobs while studying 13 years back) BUT in Canada, they need me to be working in that particular NOC for last few years. I am ready to do anything to migrate there (pls dont tell me to take student visa).
  4. Please tell me if I have left any stones unturned- like creating profiles somewhere.... or sending emails or contacting anyone etc.. anything? please tell me.
Thanks for reading my rant. thanks for your patience. hoping a swift reply.
Your age and lack of an advanced degree are working against you. Your points are quite low and you should see what you can do to increase them (e.g. max out your language scores). There is nothing wrong with your profession.

You should expect it will not be possible to securea job offer in Canada (nothing to do with your profession, this is just a general fact) and you should focus on securing PR without a job offer.

I would recommend that you stay away from Arrima and the Quebec program. Too many bad experiences with applicants waiting year or not being selected or having applications canceled.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should also exam why you are moving to Canada. Plenty of problems in Canada too. What are you expecting out of a move to Canada? What is your life like in Singapore vs what will it be like in Canada. Is your wife going to work? 2 incomes are often needed in larger centres.

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
Your NOC could fall under 0213 which is in demand in Ontario and they invite people from outside for their tech draws but you need a score of around 470 to have a chance of receiving an invite, 463 was the minimum score in the last OINP tech draw. Next tech draw will probably happen in January next year.

vinz1985

Aug 24, 2020
You should also exam why you are moving to Canada. Plenty of problems in Canada too. What are you expecting out of a move to Canada? What is your life like in Singapore vs what will it be like in Canada. Is your wife going to work? 2 incomes are often needed in larger centres.
Thanks for your reply. I am moving to Canada for the following-
1. To live in a country where we have winter and other seasons as well. Most importantly, I need winter.
2. To buy a car. Yes. It may seem insane, but in Singapore, we have to spend around 100,000 to buy a corolla and that too only valid for 10 years. After 10 years we need to scrap it or pay similar amount to renew the lease of the car. So buying a car in Singapore is not so motivating.
3. To be able to buy a landed house. In Singapore, minimum cost of a landed house is 5 million and upwards CAD.
4. Better work life balance
5. Nature- more mountain terrains, snow etc.

vinz1985

Aug 24, 2020
Your NOC could fall under 0213 which is in demand in Ontario and they invite people from outside for their tech draws but you need a score of around 470 to have a chance of receiving an invite, 463 was the minimum score in the last OINP tech draw. Next tech draw will probably happen in January next year.
Wow. Min 460-470 for a PNP? I think i can skip my upcoming IELTS exam.. can spare some stress and save some time. If this going to be the minimum score required for even PNP, what is the use of creating an express entry folks. Im kinda lost.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wow. Min 460-470 for a PNP? I think i can skip my upcoming IELTS exam.. can spare some stress and save some time. If this going to be the minimum score required for even PNP, what is the use of creating an express entry folks. Im kinda lost.
Have you already taken IELTS once already and are taking it a second time? If not, you need to take IELTS.

seadrag0n

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2018
Yup, even before the FSW's were excluded from draws due to lock down, minimum score for tech invites was 460 and it was 467/471 for priority occupations from OINP. Other provinces wont event send outsiders an invite unless you have a strong connection to their province like study or work experience. If you cant even crack 460 with maximum IELTS and all, I would suggest you to not think about immigrating to Canada as it has become very competitive and the latest minimum score to receive ITA is 476 which is too high.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
IT Project Manager is a communication centric role. Domestic applicants with Canadian experience will be viewed as less risk than international applicants especially when there are thousands of project managers already in Canada looking for work. If you are looking for a job offer from abroad then you will need to possess skillsets that are hard to find in Canada i.e. Data Scientist, Programming, Software Developer, SAP Implementation and everything along this nature.

vinz1985

Aug 24, 2020
IT Project Manager is a communication centric role. Domestic applicants with Canadian experience will be viewed as less risk than international applicants especially when there are thousands of project managers already in Canada looking for work. If you are looking for a job offer from abroad then you will need to possess skillsets that are hard to find in Canada i.e. Data Scientist, Programming, Software Developer, SAP Implementation and everything along this nature.
It pains to read this. 5 years of my experience gone down the drain? I don't have the resources and time to switch to another career and gain experience again, staying in Singapore. Oh God..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Buying a car is really not a great reason to move. You may be spending a few hours in the car or even still be depedent on pretty poor and expensive public transport, versus other countries, to get to work. In many of the bigger cities to afford a home and save you really need a second income. If yoy are from Asia and plan on returning home to see family you also have to factor in the cost of travel. It is very inexpensive to travel around Asia. You are looking at multiple thousands of dollars for flights. Canadian employers don't offer a ton of vacation time. 2 weeks is typical for more entry level positions and 3+ weeks for more senior levels. Many don't have great work life balance in Canada. Many are spending hours commuting everyday. I still love Canada but nost families don't have a lot of downtime. You also have to factor in doing all your cooking, shopping, cleaning, yard work/picking up leaves in the fall, shovelling (except some areas of BC), etc. With home ownerships comes a lot of expense and time commitments.

joconstantine

Mar 30, 2020
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
AOR Received.
01-08-2020
It pains to read this. 5 years of my experience gone down the drain? I don't have the resources and time to switch to another career and gain experience again, staying in Singapore. Oh God..
I've been in Singapore for 12 years and been working for 8 years. I am making the move to Canada, too. For me, the reasons are simply that I cannot get the Singaporean PR and that I want to reunite with my loved one.
I am working in IT too, and, also a project manage (a junior one since I was promoted not long ago). I can understand how stressful this profession is in Singapore.

vinz1985

Aug 24, 2020
I've been in Singapore for 12 years and been working for 8 years. I am making the move to Canada, too. For me, the reasons are simply that I cannot get the Singaporean PR and that I want to reunite with my loved one.
I am working in IT too, and, also a project manage (a junior one since I was promoted not long ago). I can understand how stressful this profession is in Singapore.
Lucky you

vinz1985

Aug 24, 2020
Buying a car is really not a great reason to move. You may be spending a few hours in the car or even still be depedent on pretty poor and expensive public transport, versus other countries, to get to work. In many of the bigger cities to afford a home and save you really need a second income. If yoy are from Asia and plan on returning home to see family you also have to factor in the cost of travel. It is very inexpensive to travel around Asia. You are looking at multiple thousands of dollars for flights. Canadian employers don't offer a ton of vacation time. 2 weeks is typical for more entry level positions and 3+ weeks for more senior levels. Many don't have great work life balance in Canada. Many are spending hours commuting everyday. I still love Canada but nost families don't have a lot of downtime. You also have to factor in doing all your cooking, shopping, cleaning, yard work/picking up leaves in the fall, shovelling (except some areas of BC), etc. With home ownerships comes a lot of expense and time commitments.
Not a problem if I have a car in front of my house. Probably you don't know the value of having a car. Try to live in Singapore with family, without a car.. in the sweltering heat u need to walk walk walk.. with the shopping bags and stroller etc. endless rides in buses and metros.. This is something i hate.