+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

from study permit to LMIA approved work permit

h2omd

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi all

i am currently on a study permit . I have applied for LMIA job in my field and have been granted a positive LMIA .

My study permit expires late November. Also , my LMIA approved job has no relation to my studies.i.e this is not a post graduation work offer.

any ideas on how long it would take me to get a decision on my work permit ?
also , in the case i get refused a work permit , my study permit will be expired by that time . what do i do then ? do i have to leave canada and apply from outside canada or can i reply for a study or work permit even if i have an expired status ?

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. work permit process takes 104days on CIC (check it out)

2. you would be implied status until you would get any result for work permit (either approved or rejected) after your study permit expired.

if your work permit is denied, you have to apply for restoring of status as a student in 90days after your study permit expired.
if that is denied too, don't think you have another way to study or work in Canada.

Restoring your status
In some cases, you may apply to restore your status as a student within 90 days of losing it. You may only apply if you have continued to meet the requirements under which you were allowed to enter and stay in Canada and you have met all the conditions imposed on your permit.

After you apply to restore your status, you may stay in Canada until a decision is made on your application but you are not allowed to study until your status has been restored.

There is no guarantee that your application to restore your status will be accepted. On your application, you must provide full details of all the facts and circumstances that caused you to lose your status.

In addition to a fee for renewing your study permit, there is also a fee for restoring your status. The fee is required for each family member who has lost status. To find out about application fees, go to Pay my application fees.

An officer will evaluate your request for restoration of status and will process an application for a study permit. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will advise you of any further action to be taken.

3. so I would renew study permit anyway (if you meet the requirement ) to save a time and hassle.

hope other members would give you more thought.

good luck.