+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From student to...

nialoira

Apr 20, 2014
Hi!

If someone has experience on something similar I would absolutly appreciate your advice.

Which immigration program is faster in my case, family sponsorship, entry express the BC PNP?

In brief, I am a full-time student with valid study permit and I just got a permanent, full-time job offer, in the same organization I have been working part time over a year ago, so I want to switch my status.

I have several years of work experience and 1 year into a master's degree. I have done some assesments and I have over 460 points for entry express due to, as mentioned, studies and work experince plus French and English valid certifications. But even if I have done medical exams and gathered much of the paperwork I still wonder if it is best/easier family sponsorship in my case. Like that my employer will only need to wait until I get an OWP because I could apply via common law since I have an eligible Canadian partner (3 years) What do you recommend? I need to start working full-time as soon as possible. My employer is fully aware of my situation and supports me in this transition.

I found this under "work off campus" in the official cic website

"Scheduled breaks

Students must hold full-time status during the academic session prior to, as well as subsequent to, their scheduled break. Each scheduled break should not be more than four months consecutively and students are not eligible to work full-time if the institution allows for back-to-back scheduled breaks. Essentially, taking into account reading breaks and the winter holiday, students may only work off campus on a full-time basis for no longer than five months during each calendar year (e.g., working full-time for four months consecutively during a scheduled break plus full-time during reading breaks that generally do not exceed one week at a time)"

As I said, I am a full time student and will be next semester, which is my last as well. Am I in the safe side if I take the job part-time until the next schedule break and apply for family sponsorship right now so I get the OWP in time for July-Aug?

Thanks for your time reading this post.