Med's Done....
24-10-2011
Passport Req..
12-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2013
LANDED..........
06-07-2013
I completed my masters here in Canada and had 1 year Post Grad Work Permit. After the expiration of my post grad work permit, I applied for a work-permit and CIC issued me a closed work permit with current employer. I have been working here for almost 18 months and would be 2 years by the end of October.

The problem right now that the condition of my employer isn't too strong. There are speculation that there would be lay offs or totally out of business. I don't want to be one of them who wait to get laid off. I want to apply for some other job but because of my CWP i can't. Is there a way i can go from CWP to OWP ?

P.S:
I got selected by Ontario Nomination Plan and filed my immigration to Federal Government on April 2011. As per the official time lines, my immigration was suppose to eb finalized in 15 Months i.e. by the end of July 2012. But unfortunately, Harper's government has closed down the Buffalo office and hence my file might have been moved to Ottawa, which would take extra processing time. Any advise would be appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Based on the information you've provided, you don't qualify for an open work permit. If you wish to start working for a new employer, that new employer will need to obtain an approved LMO and then you'll have to obtain a new closed work permit.

hyph3n

Star Member
Jul 14, 2009
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2011
Nomination.....
24-12-2010
Med's Request
19-10-2011
Med's Done....
24-10-2011
Passport Req..
12-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2013
LANDED..........
06-07-2013
Here are few things that i investigated into ...

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#inside
Eligibility to apply from inside Canada

You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

you have a valid study or work permit, or your spouse or parents have a study or work permit
you have a work permit for one job but want to apply for a work permit for a different job
you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more or
you are in Canada because you have already applied for permanent residence from inside Canada. You will have to pass certain stages in the main application process before you can be eligible for a work permit.
and then
source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit.asp

Working temporarily in Canada: Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion

People in the following categories need a work permit but do not need a labour market opinion from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC).

Workers covered under international agreements
Professionals, traders, investors and business people coming to Canada to work under certain international agreements.
Workers, their spouses/common-law partners or their dependants who are eligible for a work permit through an active pilot project
Through agreements between the Government of Canada and provincial/territorial governments, some workers, as well as their spouses, common-law partners and dependants, may be eligible for a work permit through an active pilot project. These temporary initiatives are designed to attract particular workers that the province or territory needs. Find out if you are eligible to come to Canada through a pilot project.
Workers nominated by a province for permanent residence
Generally, a person who has been nominated by a province for permanent residence and has a job offer from an employer based in that province.
What are your comments now ?