+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From Being a Refugee to Becoming a Dual Citizen – University Student Facing Troubles with Travelling (upcoming internship please help)

carmz0608

Jan 16, 2023
Good evening,
I am a third-year university student in Toronto.

When I was twelve, my parents brought me to Canada from Hungary. We are a part of a minority group and faced discrimination, therefore my parents and I entered the country as refugees. In 2022 November, I officially became a Canadian citizen and in December, I got my Canadian passport. This means that as of today, I am both a Hungarian and Canadian citizen, holding valid passports for both countries.

Since I am now an adult, I decided to celebrate my victory of finally becoming a citizen; I went to Cuba for a week. I returned from my vacation three days ago, and upon my arrival to Canada, I was stopped at security and was asked to talk to several immigration officers. One officer sent me to another until I finally reached someone who actually gave me some information. She began by saying that she can see I entered Canada as a refugee and that I was supposed to claim something regarding this when I bought the plane tickets. She couldn't tell me what it was exactly, and I still cannot figure out what she meant.
She also mentioned that since I am a dual citizen, starting from November 2023, travelling to the EU might be difficult for me. She said since I am an EU citizen, I do not need to participate in the new visa program the EU is implementing and I might not even be able to even with a Canadian passport (due to me also holding Hungarian citizenship). For this reason, I will most likely have to travel to the EU with my Hungarian passport and return to Canada with my Canadian one.

This all sounds lovely, however, to my knowledge, I shouldn't be using my Hungarian passport, let alone renewing it in the future since I was a refugee. However, due to this new visa program, I might not have a choice. She also mentioned that since I came to Canada as a child and technically did not "consent" to being a refugee, there might be different laws that apply to me.

I am the first one in my family to become a Canadian citizen and I do not have the funds to speak to a lawyer one-on-one. I have upcoming internships in London and Brussels, and I would like to avoid facing issues, especially after what happened a couple of days ago.

I have called the IRCC multiple times but the automated phone system didn't even allow me to speak to an agent. I have called the Hungarian embassy and they pretty much said "ask Canada". I also tried getting free consultations from immigration consultants and they said completely different things, including that I could return to my country of origin since I was a kid when I came to Canada.

I am so beyond confused now. I am going to London on February 17, and to Brussels in April. I do not want to mess anything up, but I have no idea what laws and regulations apply to me, especially after the visa program will be implemented in Europe.

Why would they stop me at the airport? Should I expect this type of "welcome" every single time I leave the country? What should I know about my situation and what kind of things should I be avoiding?

Any help and knowledge regarding this topic will be much appreciated!

guitarman

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
I do not have the funds to speak to a lawyer one-on-one.
This is such a specific and complicated case.

Lawyers are expensive, but a a good lawyer should be able to get this figured out and cleared up.

While we initially were scared about the price of our lawyer, but the $150 for a half an hour talk was the best money we ever spent.

WAY WAY better than the some of the advice we got from this forum, ESPECIALLY when dealing with the intricacies of our particular situation.

This is the same kind of thing.

Talk to a lawyer!

Reactions: carmz0608

guitarman

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
Last edited:
Reactions: carmz0608

carmz0608

Jan 16, 2023
Thank you so much for your encouragement. Seems like I need to work extra hours to afford a lawyer asap.

This couldn't have happened at a better time – I worked for two years up to 30 hours a week while being a full-time university student just so I could afford these internships.

Seems like the next step would be to find a good lawyer who is an expert in cases like mine. Again if anyone has any recommendations I will welcome them with open arms.

I do not want to experience what happened to me at the airport a couple of days ago ever again. I felt like all the years I have put into learning both French and English and just becoming as "Canadian" as possible were for nothing. They still do not see me like I belong.

carmz0608

Jan 16, 2023
Thank you so much for including these threads, I really appreciate it!

guitarman

Star Member
Aug 17, 2018
Thank you so much for including these threads, I really appreciate it!
They have some really good information. In general the consensus seems to be that once you're a Canadian citizen you can go anywhere you want.

But because you had refugee status in the past there's something in the system that flags you when you cross the border, so that's why the border guards pulled you aside. Some people say that that can be removed with a request.

What I think is a little confusing about your specific case is that Hungary is in the Schengen zone, as is Belgium.

So technically if you're still a Hungarian citizen, you wouldn't need a Canadian passport to Belgium. You can just go as a Hungarian Citizen.

But then you would need a Hungarian passport.. and that's where it gets sticky (I think), and so where a lawyer would be helpful.

There are some people in the threads who say that travel back to a home country (and I imagine applying for a passport to) that you were a refugee of after citizenship can cause red flags on the Canadian side.

Some people on the threads say it's no problem, others say it can cause a problem. Who knows? Probably a competent lawyer who specializes in refugee law.

The new European visa thing will be required for Canadian citizens (a minor nuisance to apply for but only $7 euros for three years).

https://www.etias.ca/etias-mandatory-2023/

But what I think the border officers were trying to tell you is that (maybe) you can't apply for ETIAS with a Canadian passport, because from the European Union perspective, you're already Hungarian.

So again, I think that a competent lawyer is the person to ask.

Make sure to get good recommendations for someone who is competent.

carmz0608

Jan 16, 2023
They have some really good information. In general the consensus seems to be that once you're a Canadian citizen you can go anywhere you want.

But because you had refugee status in the past there's something in the system that flags you when you cross the border, so that's why the border guards pulled you aside. Some people say that that can be removed with a request.

What I think is a little confusing about your specific case is that Hungary is in the Schengen zone, as is Belgium.

So technically if you're still a Hungarian citizen, you wouldn't need a Canadian passport to Belgium. You can just go as a Hungarian Citizen.

But then you would need a Hungarian passport.. and that's where it gets sticky (I think), and so where a lawyer would be helpful.

There are some people in the threads who say that travel back to a home country (and I imagine applying for a passport to) that you were a refugee of after citizenship can cause red flags on the Canadian side.

Some people on the threads say it's no problem, others say it can cause a problem. Who knows? Probably a competent lawyer who specializes in refugee law.

The new European visa thing will be required for Canadian citizens (a minor nuisance to apply for but only $7 euros for three years).

https://www.etias.ca/etias-mandatory-2023/

But what I think the border officers were trying to tell you is that (maybe) you can't apply for ETIAS with a Canadian passport, because from the European Union perspective, you're already Hungarian.

So again, I think that a competent lawyer is the person to ask.

Make sure to get good recommendations for someone who is competent.

I am running late to a university lecture so I only scammed through what you wrote, but I wanted to mention tha in 2020 before the pandemic hit, my family and I renewed our Hungarian passports without any issues whatsoever. At that time, I was still 17 and a PR. I will expand on this once I have a break between lectures, just wanted to throw this out there. Thank you for your help, I really, really appreciate it.

from_india_to_canada

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
give up your hungarian passport, problem solved! you are a refugee and are supposed to cut down any ties with the country that fucking oppressed you! fuck hungary!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Any help and knowledge regarding this topic will be much appreciated!
I'll write a bit more later but IMO this is a big nothingburger, certainly as far as Canada goes. Now you are a citizen, you're fine. (I take it from your description that you never travelled to Hungary between arriving in Canada when you were a child and now.)

The passport officer was, frankly, talking out of his/her a**.

As far as Europe goes: it's not the passport officers business but probably a nothingburger as well. I do not know, however, about Hungary specifically.

carmz0608

Jan 16, 2023
give up your hungarian passport, problem solved! you are a refugee and are supposed to cut down any ties with the country that fucking oppressed you! fuck hungary!
I should’ve mentioned, I have no intention whatsoever in giving up my Hungarian passport. My grandparents and extended family members still live there, and while yes, certain people oppressed my family and I, I still have an immense amount of love and respect for my country’s history. It’s where my ancestors died and fought, where I took my first steps. I do not blame my country for the actions some took against my Roma community.

While many would argue giving up my Hungarian passport might make travelling easier, not just my pride, but also my intuition is telling me to keep it.
I am willing to go as far as I can. Not to mention, based on my experience in Canada, unfortunately I am still seen as “just” a refugee. I wasn’t accepted at home nor in Canada. I don’t feel strongly enough about this country to give up the identity I was born with. But this is just me and my experience. While I am extremely thankful for the amount of opportunities this country had and has to offer, I still can’t help but feel oppressed. Now it’s just a different type of oppression. I hope this makes sense.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
When I was twelve, my parents brought me to Canada from Hungary. We are a part of a minority group and faced discrimination, therefore my parents and I entered the country as refugees. In 2022 November, I officially became a Canadian citizen and in December, I got my Canadian passport. This means that as of today, I am both a Hungarian and Canadian citizen, holding valid passports for both countries.
Congratulations.

I returned from my vacation three days ago, and upon my arrival to Canada, I was stopped at security and was asked to talk to several immigration officers. One officer sent me to another until I finally reached someone who actually gave me some information. She began by saying that she can see I entered Canada as a refugee and that I was supposed to claim something regarding this when I bought the plane tickets. She couldn't tell me what it was exactly, and I still cannot figure out what she meant.
She couldn't tell you because it's bullshit. There's no such requirement.

She also mentioned that since I am a dual citizen, starting from November 2023, travelling to the EU might be difficult for me. She said since I am an EU citizen, I do not need to participate in the new visa program the EU is implementing and I might not even be able to even with a Canadian passport (due to me also holding Hungarian citizenship). For this reason, I will most likely have to travel to the EU with my Hungarian passport and return to Canada with my Canadian one.
This part is basically true, as I understand it, the EU is implementing a 'visa waiver program' (like Canada has). It means Canadian citizens - at least those without EU passports - would need to do an electronic travel authorization before travelling there. Now, Canada's system works this way: Canadian citizens cannot get an ETA using another passport, so effectively they must use their Canadian passport to board a plane to Canada. (Side note a bit different for dual US/Cdn citizens).

If the EU system works the same way, you couldn't use your Canadian passport to get a european ETA and you'd have to use your Hungarian passport to board a plane and enter EU. No big deal.

This all sounds lovely, however, to my knowledge, I shouldn't be using my Hungarian passport, let alone renewing it in the future since I was a refugee. However, due to this new visa program, I might not have a choice. She also mentioned that since I came to Canada as a child and technically did not "consent" to being a refugee, there might be different laws that apply to me.
Now that you are a citizen, there should be no problem using your hungarian passport as far as Canada goes. (Note: this does NOT apply to refugees/refugees who became PRs - until they become Cdn citziens, they should not do so, and it could put their refugee status and/or citizenship app in question). I do not know anything about whether you'd have legal or other issues in Hungary - but you shouldn't have any trouble elsewhere in the EU. (Unless you have outstanding criminal warrants or something, which - since you were a minor when you left - is not very likely). So easy solution: don't travel to Hungary, at least until you've looked into whether any issues are possible.

Of course, if you have an issue and/or don't want to renew your Hungarian passport, you could look into renouncing your citizenship there. Personally I wouldn't because having an EU passport can be useful (including right to live and work anywehere in the EU). And repeat, I don't think it should be necessary.

I am the first one in my family to become a Canadian citizen and I do not have the funds to speak to a lawyer one-on-one. I have upcoming internships in London and Brussels, and I would like to avoid facing issues, especially after what happened a couple of days ago.
In my view you have no need for a lawyer, at least as far as Canada goes, and not for EU travel generally (and don't go to Hungary).

*Note, travel to Hungary may be fine, I just don't know. I strongly suspect they dont' care and they no longer have things like compulsory military service, etc. You probably could return there without issue. But repeat: don't know.

I am so beyond confused now. I am going to London on February 17, and to Brussels in April. I do not want to mess anything up, but I have no idea what laws and regulations apply to me, especially after the visa program will be implemented in Europe.
They don't have that visa waiver program in place now. Don't expect any issue. Personally I'd enter EU using your Hungarian passport, but I don't even have a good reason to say that.

Why would they stop me at the airport? Should I expect this type of "welcome" every single time I leave the country? What should I know about my situation and what kind of things should I be avoiding?
I see it's pretty common that former refugees/now citizens get stopped the first time they return to Canada. You could wait and see.

A member of my family had a different issue (flag from a previous PR status, renounced, became PR again) and was getting shunted to secondary inspection every time. After this happened a few times (and it was clear that the secondary inspection officers also thought it was stupid, but either couldn't or wouldn't remove the flag) we wrote to our MP, who got in touch with IRCC/CBSA and the flag was removed. I can't say that will work every time, and maybe we were lucky. But it is something you can try.

Reactions: garbimba

carmz0608

Jan 16, 2023
I'll write a bit more later but IMO this is a big nothingburger, certainly as far as Canada goes. Now you are a citizen, you're fine. (I take it from your description that you never travelled to Hungary between arriving in Canada when you were a child and now.)

The passport officer was, frankly, talking out of his/her a**.

As far as Europe goes: it's not the passport officers business but probably a nothingburger as well. I do not know, however, about Hungary specifically.
Not only to Hungary, but I have never left Canada ever since my arrival. This trip I took to Cuba was the first in almost a decade.
Since I will be travelling all by myself for these internships (and most likely, if I have the opportunity after November 2023 I would like to continue doing internships abroad), I want to know as much as possible about my case. The things I should pay attention to, what to worry about, etc. I don’t want to feel vulnerable and scared in case something happens or if I get an officer who does the same thing many did to me a couple of days ago. I want them to know that I know my stuff.

carmz0608

Jan 16, 2023
University lecture about to begin. I will respond to everyone afterwards. Thank you all so much for your input and I’m looking forward to learning more.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I want to know as much as possible about my case. The things I should pay attention to, what to worry about, etc. I don’t want to feel vulnerable and scared in case something happens or if I get an officer who does the same thing many did to me a couple of days ago. I want them to know that I know my stuff.
You are a citizen, you have complied with Canadian laws, you have nothing to worry about. In terms of getting informed, I don't have a good suggestion of best places to read about this except for here. (I'm sure there are better resources though)

The inspection: it seems pretty common for people who've recently received citizenshp to get secondary inspection the first time they cross.

BTW, hhere's some info on the EU electronic travel authorization scheme: https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/20803961/eu-visa-rules-2023-holiday-europe/