+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After obtaining citizenship, can a previous refugee return to their home country? Or renew their home country passport?

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
A prior refugee has now obtained Canadian citizenship.

1- If they no longer have a problem back home, can they return to their home country?

2- If they can, do they have to travel using the Canadian passport?

3- Can they renew their country of origin's passport and fly using that?

4- Can flying back home be a cause for citizenship revocation?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

1- If they no longer have a problem back home, can they return to their home country?

1. YES
2. You need your Canadian Passport to travel back to Canada if you are dual citizen. To your home country, you can use any
3. YES
4. NO.

Reactions: waz_2019 and DimT44

derin1010

Oct 18, 2017
Toronto

Its called Cessation and Reavailment if you obtained your permanent resident as a conventional refugee and you travel back to your home country as a Permanent resident or obtain your country passport.

To answer your question Citizenship cannot be lost because of cessation. However, it can be revoked if the government thinks you obtained your citizenship by lying or withholding important information

Last edited:
Reactions: DimT44

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Would strongly recommend that you stick to using your Canadian passport.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Would strongly recommend that you stick to using your Canadian passport.
I agree with @canuck78 . Stick to using your Canadian Passport. As much as you feel there is no threat against you, if it happens that you are detained, and have both passports with you, you are dual citizen and you will be considered as citizen by your country. Dual citizen do not have automatic right to consular service from Canadian Embassy. You may want to read this story of dual American-Belarus detained in Russia and sent to Belarus

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/06/europe/belarus-abduction-youras-ziankovich-intl-cmd/index.html

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
Just trying to revive old thread by giving a recent information (06/27/2022):

I received my citizenship back in January this year. I went to Puerto Rico and I got pulled aside to CBSA right after the customs. The officer was confused why a Canadian Passport holder in the immigration office. He just looked at me, my passport, his computer and let me go within 2 minutes without saying anything.

Then today I just got back from Europe, got pulled aside again to CBSA after the customs. I asked to the officer because she's also as confused as I am. She told me because I was a refugee inland and all (ex) refugees claimants monitored by the CBSA. And also she added Canadian citizens that were refuge claimants can't got back at all to their home country because it will raise the red flag.

I didn't asked further questions because I was tired after a long flight, plus CBSA has all the rights to prolonged (not refused) citizens to enter Canadian soil. I just thank her and off on my way.

Still I'm confused to her last statement because that's not from what I understand. I looked at resources in this forums and other internet sources. Can anyone confirm?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

I received my citizenship back in January this year. I went to Puerto Rico and I got pulled aside to CBSA right after the customs. The officer was confused why a Canadian Passport holder in the immigration office. He just looked at me, my passport, his computer and let me go within 2 minutes without saying anything.

Then today I just got back from Europe, got pulled aside again to CBSA after the customs. I asked to the officer because she's also as confused as I am. She told me because I was a refugee inland and all (ex) refugees claimants monitored by the CBSA. And also she added Canadian citizens that were refuge claimants can't got back at all to their home country because it will raise the red flag.

I didn't asked further questions because I was tired after a long flight, plus CBSA has all the rights to prolonged (not refused) citizens to enter Canadian soil. I just thank her and off on my way.

Still I'm confused to her last statement because that's not from what I understand. I looked at resources in this forums and other internet sources. Can anyone confirm?
It could some miscommunication or that officer needs to refresh his training about Constitutional Rights for Canadian Citizens. To add, you loose Refugee Protection once you become a Citizen of any country, including Canada. Therefore cessation procedures does not apply.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

As citizens they can return but it can raise red flags.

betteka

Dec 11, 2015
It could some miscommunication or that officer needs to refresh his training about Constitutional Rights for Canadian Citizens. To add, you loose Refugee Protection once you become a Citizen of any country, including Canada. Therefore cessation procedures does not apply.
What's a cessation?

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
The “cessation” provisions of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act apply in situations when a person who was conferred Canadian refugee status no longer needs that protection or where that protection is no longer justified.

JOHN1444

Oct 25, 2022

I have been reading comments on here before i went back to home my country because i was a former refugee. I did not go to back to my home country until i got citizenship. I went home to visit my family and came back to Canada after 2 months. The immigration officer said i have to call IRRC and asked them to remove my former refugee status on file so i don’t have to go through immigration when i come back to Canada. Also immigration officer said it doesn’t matter for them anymore because i'm a Canadian citizen. No one can deny you to enter to your country as a Canadian citizen. Life experience.

Reactions: waz_2019 and Cank3

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have been reading comments on here before i went back to home my country because i was a former refugee. I did not go to back to my home country until i got citizenship. I went home to visit my family and came back to Canada after 2 months. The immigration officer said i have to call IRRC and asked them to remove my former refugee status on file so i don’t have to go through immigration when i come back to Canada. Also immigration officer said it doesn’t matter for them anymore because i'm a Canadian citizen. No one can deny you to enter to your country as a Canadian citizen. Life experience.
Don’t know if they can remove your previous refugee status. That is part of your immigration history.

fifi25

Aug 16, 2018

Hi friend,

Did you call IRCC, what did they say and were you able to remove the tag?

All the best to you!