+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From Atlanta to Calgary my first 6 months job experience

nomad_musafir

Jan 13, 2009
nix1,

good to see you too. i completed my landing in April, and received our PR cards a few weeks later. like you, i am still in the states. unlike you, however, i don't have my green card yet - so Canada is very much a possibility for me.

if i am not mistaken despo did his landing also. he showed up for a few days at that time.
chhabert is one who is most active i guess, apart from being most helpful.

good luck!

nix1 said:
Congratulations cchabert!

I am so happy to read your success story. You inspired me and made me feel like moving to Canada. I have been away from this forum for so long and decided to check back today and was very happy to read your success story. I was also happy to see Nomad is still around. How are you buddy? Did you complete the landing process? How about Despo? Is he still around?

I miss those days when we all used to spent so much time on this forum and try to help each other. Please keep in touch and I wish you all a very successful life in Canada or wherever you decide to settle. As much as I love Canada, it looks like I will end up settling in the US.

-Nix1

C

cchabert

nix1 said:
Congratulations cchabert!

I am so happy to read your success story. You inspired me and made me feel like moving to Canada. I have been away from this forum for so long and decided to check back today and was very happy to read your success story. I was also happy to see Nomad is still around. How are you buddy? Did you complete the landing process? How about Despo? Is he still around?

I miss those days when we all used to spent so much time on this forum and try to help each other. Please keep in touch and I wish you all a very successful life in Canada or wherever you decide to settle. As much as I love Canada, it looks like I will end up settling in the US.

-Nix1
Hey Nix1!!! Good to see you!! If you miss it, here'is the 3 months experience:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/mi-first-3-months-on-my-job-experience-in-calgary-t41042.15.html

Also we have been well, this summer has been good, the max tempeture so far is 29c in compare with 37c and 80% humidity from Atlanta this feels sooooo goooddd.
We like the city so much and the mountains are so great!!
In another hand we also have the personal experience of using the emergency services and medical facilities here and to make things short, we have a great service and follow up with our situation and the best part is no co-payments or emergency room fee or those nosense things from US hosppitals.
Also we receive $260.00CAD each month for my daughters, the amount is base on your income tax so the next year it could be increase or decrease, very good money every 20th of the montn.
All the activities that you paid for your kids are tax deductable also, and here in my job I have what I never thing about it in the US:
- 3 weeks per year of vacation
- The week from Chistmas to New Years is off
- On stampede week half day off the whole week to go to the festivities
- $500 a year to buy prescriptions
- $500 a year in any membership of any sport club or school to continue your education
- 130 days a year of sick leave
- Family dental plan
- 6% of my salary to retirement and the company match it

Maybe I forgot one but this are the esentials, so as you can see we miss A LOT! the US ;-)

Keep in touch!!

ps. The grass is also green here!

Stupid_Cupid

Jan 14, 2010
Hi,
I enjoyed reading your story, seems like you have lot of fun there. I am also in atlanta and my application is in process right now. I'd to know more about salary range just an idea how it's compared to US or atlanta, coumminty, expenses etc. I am waiting for my medical which i am hoping should get in mail pretty soon, but do you who is the Dr., how long usually it takes to get an appointment, fees.
Thanks

C

cchabert

Stupid_Cupid said:
Hi,
I enjoyed reading your story, seems like you have lot of fun there. I am also in atlanta and my application is in process right now. I'd to know more about salary range just an idea how it's compared to US or atlanta, coumminty, expenses etc. I am waiting for my medical which i am hoping should get in mail pretty soon, but do you who is the Dr., how long usually it takes to get an appointment, fees.
Thanks
The only Atlanta Dr. is Dr Wolf and I don't remember exactly how much he charge, you may need to call him:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medicalinfo.aspx?CountryID=2040&ProvID=18996&ProvinceName=Georgia&CountryName=United%20States%20of%20America

When I called they gave me the appointment for 20 days later, but you can't make the appointment until you got your medical forms from CIC.

Good Luck!

Cheers

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
Hi - CChabert

Wonderful supporting letter- Thanks

I am planning to land in Calgary in September, October 2010, professionally I am a Petroleum Engineer, do you have any idea how job market is in calgary for Petroleum Engineers, I am scary as I do not have much savings, I have two kids and my wife is just out comming MBBS student from Pakistan. Currently I have a good job and that is why after staying two n a half months in Canada couple of years back I returned to secure my job, but now time is running out for me to take a final decision and move to Canada so as not to end up losing the immigiration status.

Please advise what could be the best advise for me as I am afraid that if I could n't got the job in few months time then how I am going to feed my kids and wife, I have total saving of around CAD 14000/-

jumong

Star Member
Oct 18, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
march 24 2010
Med's Request
May 20 2010/ june 6 recv
Med's Done....
June 18 2010/june 28 forwarded
Passport Req..
October 6 2010/ October 11 forwarded
VISA ISSUED...
dec 17 2010...valid till june 16 2011
Hasher said:
Hi - CChabert

Wonderful supporting letter- Thanks

I am planning to land in Calgary in September, October 2010, professionally I am a Petroleum Engineer, do you have any idea how job market is in calgary for Petroleum Engineers, I am scary as I do not have much savings, I have two kids and my wife is just out comming MBBS student from Pakistan. Currently I have a good job and that is why after staying two n a half months in Canada couple of years back I returned to secure my job, but now time is running out for me to take a final decision and move to Canada so as not to end up losing the immigiration status.

Please advise what could be the best advise for me as I am afraid that if I could n't got the job in few months time then how I am going to feed my kids and wife, I have total saving of around CAD 14000/-
in my point of view f your not so picky about a certain job..i know you will survive there as well as your family..good luck to you @ your family..God bless US all!! :)

C

cchabert

jumong said:
in my point of view f your not so picky about a certain job..i know you will survive there as well as your family..good luck to you @ your family..God bless US all!! :)
I agree, mainly you have 2 options:

1.- Stay in your actual job in X country that you are right now and lose your PR and forget about Canada

2.- Come with your family and start from scratch, it will be hard to find a job in your field right now but sure you can find survival jobs and more right now that the holidays are coming if you and your wife don't mind.

Got the picture?

Peace!

gingertea

May 10, 2010
Hi cchabert,
Thanks for sharing your first 6 month of job hunting experience in Canada.

I applied under the same job category as you did LOC:1111. My work experience is more closely related to finance, however, I finished CPA exam in the US. In your opinion, is it hard to find an Auditing / Tax related job? I want to either complete my CPA hours or start over to get my CA, as long as I can get an Accounting license.

Also, before you landed, do you need to clear for vaccine immunization? If yes, what kind of vaccine did the Alberta require?

Thanks for your insight in advance.
Gingertea

C

cchabert

gingertea said:
Hi cchabert,
Thanks for sharing your first 6 month of job hunting experience in Canada.

I applied under the same job category as you did LOC:1111. My work experience is more closely related to finance, however, I finished CPA exam in the US. In your opinion, is it hard to find an Auditing / Tax related job? I want to either complete my CPA hours or start over to get my CA, as long as I can get an Accounting license.

Also, before you landed, do you need to clear for vaccine immunization? If yes, what kind of vaccine did the Alberta require?

Thanks for your insight in advance.
Gingertea
Good day! You can check with the associations and find out the requirements for your license everyone is different, but for sure you may need to take Canadian Law and Taxes, this are the links:

www.cga-canada.org

www.cica.ca

www.cma-ontario.org

Also they will require your IQAS

http://employment.alberta.ca/immigration/4512.html

But If you want to save $100 just wait until you get here and apply in the government office, it's free.

Also you don't need any vaccine when coming from USA just cross the border and have fun!

Cheers!

findude32

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008
Sorry folks to ask this question in this thread. But I can't find any familiar ppl who got on board with me in the journey of AB PNP. I found a few known USER IDs in this thread so I m asking this question from them.
First of all great info by Cchabert as you were always very informative and descriptive from the beginning. Here is my question...
I m from one of those applicant whose AB PNP case was stuck in long back ground check and day after day other ppl got their passport request and they have been landing to Canada. I moved on with my life and stop thinking to immigrant to Canada until some time.

Out of the blue I just got the passport request to submit before October 3rd 2010. I was under impression that since my medical has expired long time ago that's mean I have to redo my medical and then I will have time to land in canada until the medical expires. But since they didn't ask medical but to submit the passport that mean I would get visa within a month or so and my landing visa would be of just a month or so to land.....
For some personal reason, I can't land in to Canada until next September or so. I hate to loose this opportunity since it was my only hard earning well deserve victory that I can own, but on the other hand I don't see any hope since i can't leave US until next year. People who have any information how can I delay my landing until next year or should I ask CIC to hold my immigration until next year? Please enlighten me!!!!!

nomad_musafir

Jan 13, 2009
findude32 said:
Out of the blue I just got the passport request to submit before October 3rd 2010. I was under impression that since my medical has expired long time ago that's mean I have to redo my medical and then I will have time to land in canada until the medical expires. But since they didn't ask medical but to submit the passport that mean I would get visa within a month or so and my landing visa would be of just a month or so to land.....
For some personal reason, I can't land in to Canada until next September or so. I hate to loose this opportunity since it was my only hard earning well deserve victory that I can own, but on the other hand I don't see any hope since i can't leave US until next year. People who have any information how can I delay my landing until next year or should I ask CIC to hold my immigration until next year? Please enlighten me!!!!!
findude,
first of all, CONGRATULATIONS! your efforts and wait have finally come to fruition!
well, i don't know if there is any way to delay the application at this stage. i believe it is 'take it or loose it'. also, i am also not sure how much time they'll give you on the visa stamp. usually, it is 1 year from the date of medicals. yours is a special case, since you did your medicals in may 2009. you'll only know that when you send your passport for stamping. however, i don't expect the 1 time visa expiration date to be beyond Sept 2011, just my opinion. i don't know your constraints, but it seems to me like you'll have to plan on making a trip to canada within the next 1 year (and that is a stretch).
if i were you, i would send the passport and get the stamp. only then would you know how much time you have on hand. this way, you at least have the possibility of doing the landing if you choose to. of course, you always have the option of letting it expire if you absolutely cannot make it to canada in that time frame.

C

cchabert

Ok guys this is an upgrade on my IQAS, I received last week and they also sent it to CGA (Certified General Accountant Association) and those guys gave me list of courses I need to take before start my certification, I want to share this with you guys:
First Student Fee : $745 per year and this includes:
1.- Get access to over 170 jobs on CGA’s exclusive job board for students and members only.
2.- Put Student in the CGA Program of Professional Studies on your resume and get the credibility that will lead to the job offers you desire.
3.- Be invited to exclusive networking events!
4.- Keep transfer credits and don’t be affected by program changes
5.- CGA Member & Student Perks.
Then the courses:
1.- Law 1
2.- Communications 1
3.- Business Case 1 – Accounting
4.- Auditing 1
5.- Business Case 2 – Auditing
6.- Taxation 1
Each course cost in average $680 CAD plus books
After pass all this courses, then I can start to do the designation and this is:
1.- Prof. Applications 1 $1,195
2.- Management Info Systems 2 $1,180
3.- Finance 2 $1,180
How long is going to take this? I don’t know yet, so far I’ll wait until January when my benefit from the University starts so I can see how many courses I can studied for free and then I’ll decide.

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
Hello findude31
Good that you received the PP request.
Could you explain (if that can be done) why you will not be able to leave US even for a few days to land and come back ?
After such a long wait, it is better you finish this off. However you can wait till your PP is stamped and you see the actual Visa expiry date..

findude32 said:
Sorry folks to ask this question in this thread. But I can't find any familiar ppl who got on board with me in the journey of AB PNP. I found a few known USER IDs in this thread so I m asking this question from them.
First of all great info by Cchabert as you were always very informative and descriptive from the beginning. Here is my question...
I m from one of those applicant whose AB PNP case was stuck in long back ground check and day after day other ppl got their passport request and they have been landing to Canada. I moved on with my life and stop thinking to immigrant to Canada until some time.

Jacaranda

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wow cchabert, feels soooo good to read this post on the whole... cant wait to move to canada even more....

cchabert said:
Hey Nix1!!! Good to see you!! If you miss it, here'is the 3 months experience:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/mi-first-3-months-on-my-job-experience-in-calgary-t41042.15.html

Also we have been well, this summer has been good, the max tempeture so far is 29c in compare with 37c and 80% humidity from Atlanta this feels sooooo goooddd.
We like the city so much and the mountains are so great!!
In another hand we also have the personal experience of using the emergency services and medical facilities here and to make things short, we have a great service and follow up with our situation and the best part is no co-payments or emergency room fee or those nosense things from US hosppitals.
Also we receive $260.00CAD each month for my daughters, the amount is base on your income tax so the next year it could be increase or decrease, very good money every 20th of the montn.
All the activities that you paid for your kids are tax deductable also, and here in my job I have what I never thing about it in the US:
- 3 weeks per year of vacation
- The week from Chistmas to New Years is off
- On stampede week half day off the whole week to go to the festivities
- $500 a year to buy prescriptions
- $500 a year in any membership of any sport club or school to continue your education
- 130 days a year of sick leave
- Family dental plan
- 6% of my salary to retirement and the company match it

Maybe I forgot one but this are the esentials, so as you can see we miss A LOT! the US ;-)

Keep in touch!!

ps. The grass is also green here!

BZ Mom

Mar 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/10/2008
Nomination.....
06/01/2009
AOR Received.
19/08/2009
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Done....
28/12/2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
01/03/2010
VISA ISSUED...
20/04/2010
LANDED..........
27/11/2010
cchabert said:
OK guys this is my 6 months results of sending resumes to find a professional job here in Canada:

January 0
February 2
March 7
April 6
May 7
June 18
July 8
Total 48

I used a excel form so I have the info handy if someone calls, the form have this columns:

Company Name
Address
Position
Date Emailed
Date Faxed
1st Call
2nd Call
Notes

You can add more columns if you needed it. Of those 48 resumes only 5 reply by email saying “thank you but the position was taken”. I had 2 phone calls, one call to make an appointment for an interview, I went but they never call me back for a second interview with the manager.
The other one was from my actual employer, The University of Calgary, the position was accounts receivable administrator (I'm accountant) and the phone interview was pretty much to explain the position and a couple of questions about experience on that field then they ask me if I can go to another interview in person the next week.
When I went I was interviewed by 2 persons with a 3 pages on both sides of questions, it took around one hour and after that they told me that they'll keep seeing more candidates, I saw the folder of resumes and they're about 100 inside.
This was on Thursday and by Monday they call me back, at the beginning I though it was to arrange another interview with the manager but for my surprise they call me to make me an offer, the rest is history.
In my personal opinion the key factors to get this job was:
a) A good cover letter
b) My experience (9 years) in billing and A/R
c) My experience on SAP (The UofC used people soft)
One of the questions that also I think was important was:
Which are your goals in the next 2 or 3 years?
I told them that with this opportunity I can gain Canadian experience and also study to get my designation of CGA (Certified General Accountant) and they agree that employers like certifications or designations here in Canada.
As I mentioned on my 3 months experience, came with the idea on getting a certificate or designation on anything you love and you'll be fine, my goal is for 2 or 3 years, in the mean time I'm keeping enjoying this great country, it never cross to my mind that it was a set back to go back to school and study again.

By the way as a new immigrant you have the right to 1200 hrs of English classes so I'm actually going twice a week to the Bow Valley College for writing lessons, I'm the oldest in my class and I don't care.
Here you can find my cover letter, feel free to take what you need to make your own, of course I erase the sensitive info, have fun.

“As a goal driven professional with 9 + years of progressive office management and administrative experience, I would like to apply for the Accounts Receivable Administrator position in the University of Calgary labour force .The following are some of my key strengths and transferable skills that I can bring to your organization.

Solid academic background in Accounting
Experience managing front offices and supervising professionals
Experience in A/R, A/P and budget control
Demonstrated ability to multitask with excellent organizational, administrative & communication skills
Team player with flexibility and very positive attitude

My experiences as an Office Manager include implementing administrative controls for small businesses, A/R, banking, customer support, creation of budgets and financial statements. I was responsible for enable accounting systems and internal control. I have also used QuickBooks for general ledger, invoicing, sales, and tax reports. I am accustomed to a fast-paced environment where meeting deadlines and multi-tasking are top priorities.
I am confident that my extensive experiences in office management and my strong administrative skills, I would be of great value to your organization. I thank you in advance for your consideration. If you would like to contact me, please call:”
In another matters and for information purposes only because everyone have a different opinion on who to do things.
The rent that I'm paying right now is $1300 a month, this includes gas and water, I know there is places cheap but we have our reasons to live where we are living right now. :)
On electricity I paid $55 a month.
I don't have cellphone yet but the bigger companies are Rogers, Telus, Bell and Fido, all of this ones offer iPhone 4 for those geeks, check the website but all of them offer 3 years commitment instead of 2 in the USA, don't panic, there is also another companies with different options like Kodo, Wind and Virgin ( And NO, Virgin phone from the USA won't work with Virgin network here in Canada also Verizon and this is on purposes of open an account here and forget the USA network, you can bring your Verizon phone and use it here but you'll paid a fortune in roaming to your account in the USA..capish?)

With Telus I got a free laptop, very descent one, with the bundle package this was the better option I found the other one was Shawn but I hear very bad things about them and also they don;t have great packages. So I paid:
Home Phone: $23
Internet: $32
Digital TV: $43 (This includes a charge of $28 for protection plan that you can't avoid for the next 2 years)
Of course all this is optional that you can avoid at the beginning so you can save some money.
On car insurance I paid $145 a month and the reason for this is because one month before coming to Canada my wife crash the car so in our insurance report shows that and after shopping around this is the best deal I got, mainly we were treat like a college kid, now we need to build our trust with them.
On food there is :
Supersotre: The cheapest one here, you can found products from all around and this includes clothing.
Safeway: Same products as in the USA, sometimes with your “Safeway saving card” you can found better deals than Superstore
Co-op: Better quality, like Albertsons in the West or Publix on the East, of course with quality comes the price.
Sobey: Not bad but not great, local chain who's growing fast.
Walmart Supercentre: Coming to compete with Superstore, if you have one around your area you will be ok.
T&T Super Market: Everything you need for your Asian needs, you name it they got it, they have a Hughes section of live fish and other creatures for all your delicate taste. The veggies are cheap too.
Just one more thing about your milk, here you need to forget that in the USA the gallon cost $2, here it cost $4 and up and also they charge you .25 for recycling fee, so be ready to collect all your milk containers and bring them to the “Bottle Depot” and get your money back.
http://www.bcmb.ab.ca/calgary-bottle-depot.html

One more thing, now that the summer is in full swing the activities in the city is enormous, I'm impress with the number of festivals every weekend, what I learn is that the people of the small towns around the city came to visit and the people from here go out to the mountains to camping, camping here with fishing is a big thing in the summer like hockey on the winter.
http://www.visitcalgary.com/
Ok guys this is it, my first 6 months in Canada, and so far I'm having a blast, so sit and relax waiting for your visa and one of these days you'll have your opportunity to write your Canadian experience to share with others. Cheers!
Hi cchabert! This is awesome. Very detailed and informative. You deserve the job! Congratulations........

If I remember right, you were also under the H-1B category? Am I correct? When you moved from Atlanta to Calgary, did you get an exit permit from the IRS? I will be moving to Calgary on the 23rd of October (from Virginia).

Thanks in advance!