+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Frequency of Notice of Entry by Landlord

define

Star Member
Feb 18, 2016
I am based in Saskatchewan and renting an acreage house. The landlord is giving 24 hrs notice every other day for over a month now to enter the house to turn on dehumidifier in basement when there's no water damage. I asked him to stop coming informing that I can turn it on myself but he is still coming every other day to check if I'm turning it on or not. I have contacted Residential Office and the Police but shockingly they allow his entry. It's probably because it's a small town and they know the landlord personally. I have never come across such a repeated breach of quiet enjoyment and tenant's right of privacy anywhere else. I have already informed him my move out date to be the end of the month but he's still coming even if he does not have a new tenant to show the house and there's no repair or maintenance needed. What's your opinion on this? What can I do if nothing is working out?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Write him a letter saying you consider the frequent entry unreasonable under the terms of the relevant legislation / lease - and that if the dehumidifier must run constantly, the solution is to have it physically drain and be of a type that runs automatically.

Politely you can add that if that is insufficient assurance, there are technical solutions such as remote monitoring and you'd be happy to send him names of companies that will install and provide that service.

Note, this may not work, but reference to this may be enough to frighten him off.