2232/2132
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
In EE pool: CRS 427
IELTS Request
Overall Band: 9.0
Hello,

My wife (dual French/US citizen) would like to move to Quebec, I'm a US citizen only. We have 2 children, one is fluent in French 9yo, other is learning and understands French, doesn't write it, she's 6. We live in the USA. Children are born in USA, but are working towards French citizenship for the kids. I could also get the French citizenship if it helps, but prefer not to if not needed. Might take too much time.

My wife is of course fluent in both languages, and I get by pretty well in French, but can't read well or write, just speak French.

Anyway, we don't need to work in Quebec to live there... we have enough passive income to just live there without working, but are willing to work if needed to get immigration status. We both have Master's degrees (Engineering for me, French for my wife) both in our 40's.

What is the best path for immigration? I've read quite a bit on the internet, but can't find good info that relates to our situation.

My great grandfather was born in New Brunswick. Not sure if that helps or not, probably not.

Thanks in advance.

--
SharpC

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you want to immigrate to Quebec then you should be applying through the Quebec Skilled Worker Program. You can find the program details here;

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/EN/IMMIGRATE-SETTLE/permanent-workers/official-immigration-application/requirements-programs/index.html

You'll have to go through the program details to see if you qualify to apply. I'd recommend you complete the online assessment:

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/EN/IMMIGRATE-SETTLE/permanent-workers/epi.html

Having French citizenship will not help. Neither will having a great grandfather who was born in Canada.

SharpC

Oct 21, 2014
San Francisco
Category........
NOC Code......
2232/2132
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Thanks for the response. We didn't quite qualify for the Quebec program, very close, but do easily qualify for the FSW and have started the application process. Attorney states that we will likely get our approving docs before the end of 2015. The funniest part of this process is that I have to take an all day immigrant English test to prove I can speak, read, understand English as a natural born US citizen with 19 years of US education. I can only wonder what created this requirement...

Our plan is to land in Toronto and live there for awhile.

I am curious if we then move to Montreal as PR what forms we would need to fill out for the CSQ? I can't seem to find the info on what Canadian residents need to do when they move to the Quebec province (all the info I find is for non-PR and non-Canadian citizens). I'd like to review the forms etc to be prepared with documentation needed. I'm thinking since my wife is fluent in French she would figure it all out and be the primary applicant, but I like to be prepared ahead of time.

--
SharpC

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Which occupation code (NOC) are you applying under? There are caps for each occupation (max number of applications accepted). We find attorneys aren't always aware how this works and how the numbers are tracked. You'll want to ensure it's not too late to apply for this year.

Language tests are mandatory for everyone because it was creating too much overhead and time to assess whether applicants had sufficient language skills based on their education. And believe it or not, there were people immigrating from English speaking countries with completely English educational backgrounds who ended up having very poor / substandard language skills. The tests evaluate everyone using the same measure.

Note that you'll also need to get your education officially assessed. Start now. It takes time.

You don't need the CSQ to move to Montreal after you've become PRs.

SharpC

Oct 21, 2014
San Francisco
Category........
NOC Code......
2232/2132
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Yes, aware of the caps. At about 300 for my code so far. Looks like plenty of spots left, but yes targeting to get my application in before the end of this year. Essentially as fast as I possibly can. I wish I knew of this program earlier this year.

The longest portion of the process will be the language testing, next test is middle of Dec, then 13 day wait for scores. (It will be a competition between me and my wife as to who can get the highest score ;-) I should have everything else ready to submit well before then. Transcripts appear to take about a month to get assessed by a 3rd party. Transcripts are on there way. Pretty much everything else is readily available and submitted to the attorney portal.

OK so don't need the CSQ after PR, that is why I am unable to find info. Thanks. I'm assuming there is still some paperwork to fill out if we move from Ontario to Quebec province. Something needed to get my kids into the schools etc. I'm sure we will figure it all out.

--
SharpC

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Did the lawyer tell you that the numbers on the CIC site do not represent the number of applications received - but instead represent the number of applications CIC has opened and initially reviewed? This is a pretty critical piece of information. Thanks to the very active members of this web site, we know CIC is currently working on applications received at the end of July (around July 22nd I believe). What this means is that the numbers you see on the web site only reflect the applications received as of the end of July - and do not include the applications received in August, September, October, and the start of November.

No one knows for sure how many applications CIC has received under each occupation (CIC doesn't even know since they haven't opened and counted these applications). So the best anyone can do is guess based on the numbers we have now on the CIC site and the fact we know they are opening applications right now received around the 22nd of July.

SharpC

Oct 21, 2014
San Francisco
Category........
NOC Code......
2232/2132
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Yes, nothing is guaranteed. But will get my application in as fast as possible, then see what happens.

--
SharpC

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
FYI - If you have any further questions as you complete the application package, move over to the Skilled Worker section of the problem and ask your questions there (and read through the historical message). This is where you'll find all of the FSW discussions.

SharpC

Oct 21, 2014
San Francisco
Category........
NOC Code......
2232/2132
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
IELTS Request
Thanks for the great info. Great forum here. I'm switching my lead NOC to 2232 instead of 2132. They are very similar job duties yet there are only 20 applicants so far under 2232, vs over 500 in 2132.

So I'm showing 2232 work experience from 2004 to 2009, then 2132 from 2010 to present.

But apply under the previous 2232 work experience, since it is within past 10 years.

--
SharpC