+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

French language requirement to get CSQ

thecentury303

Feb 24, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I just got an offer for a tenure-track assistant professor position from a university in Quebec.

However, I have received a conflicted information regarding the french language requirement in order to get the PR, particularly to obtain CSQ.

On one hand, I have heard from a friend who live in Montreal and some websites that french is not required at all since the selection will be based on points-based assessment and my profile will certainly exceed the cut-off.

On the other hand, I was explicitly told during my interview that learning intermediate french is a must to obtain a PR in Quebec. In addition, some school websites state that intermediate french "is likely required" to obtain a PR.

I do understand that I should learn french during my time in Quebec. However, I am so confused about the PR requirement here. Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

liveinmtl

Feb 16, 2016
Both are correct!
The one requires French is PEQ, which only requires French B2 + 1 year work experience for your case.
Another is points based program called Regular Program, for which French is not mandatory but only for extra points.
Generally speaking, PEQ is simplified and very fast. Regular Program is more complex due to lots of documents required and is much much slower than PEQ. BUT.....French is the problem.
FYI, for my own case, holding a permanent job in Quebec, not knowing any French, not having time learning French, I have no choice but the complex and slow Regular Program. If you think you can handle French in 1 year, good luck for PEQ!

flywind1209

Nov 19, 2013
I'm just curious about "liveinmtl's status. Having a permanent job in Quebec doesn't mean a guarantee to get the PR? Could you kindly share more experience regarding how to apply a permanent job to the government?
Thank you in advance, it will be useful for my current status. Since I want to keep staying in Montreal. I have to apply for a new work permit until getting CSQ. Positive LMIA is too hard to get even my employer is willing to help me.

Best regards,
Ching

liveinmtl

Feb 16, 2016
flywind1209 said:
I'm just curious about "liveinmtl's status. Having a permanent job in Quebec doesn't mean a guarantee to get the PR? Could you kindly share more experience regarding how to apply a permanent job to the government?
Thank you in advance, it will be useful for my current status. Since I want to keep staying in Montreal. I have to apply for a new work permit until getting CSQ. Positive LMIA is too hard to get even my employer is willing to help me.

Best regards,
Ching
""Having a permanent job in Quebec doesn't mean a guarantee to get the PR?""
---- Having a permanent job will not lead you to PR AUTOMATICALLY!! you have to apply for it.
I do have positive LMIA and CAQ to hold the job. But in QC, permanent job offer just gives you extra 8 or 10 points under regular program. That's all. (not like EE by Federal, LMIA gives 600 points that is high enough for ITA!)
For LMIA, only your employer can apply for you, not yourself. It is not easy, so go find a job in a big big company. When the company couldn't find a citizen or PR qualified for the position, they will apply LMIA for you. Small companies usually will not do this for employee.