+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

French citizen with PR status working for US subsidiary company remotely

OlivierP

Jul 7, 2018
Hello all,
I have already posted this thread in "Canadian Labour Legislation" topic. But it may concern more taxation. Sorry for the double thread.

I am french and have PR Status in Canada. Currently i am living and working in France for a french company. This company has a subsidiary in USA. I am moving to Canada for living and my company wants me to work for its US subsidiary remotely (from Canada).
I wonder how it will work, so I have some questions?

1) Does the US subsidiary need to declare something to Canadian authorities and income office to hire me remotely?

2) On my side, will I pay taxes to USA or only incomes to Canada? what are the tax filing obligations? do i have to file taxes in Canada or US or Both?

3) In Canada, will I be considered employed or unemployed? How can I have health insurance and social guarantees?

Thanks in advance

Olivier

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,
I have already posted this thread in "Canadian Labour Legislation" topic. But it may concern more taxation. Sorry for the double thread.

I am french and have PR Status in Canada. Currently i am living and working in France for a french company. This company has a subsidiary in USA. I am moving to Canada for living and my company wants me to work for its US subsidiary remotely (from Canada).
I wonder how it will work, so I have some questions?

1) Does the US subsidiary need to declare something to Canadian authorities and income office to hire me remotely?

2) On my side, will I pay taxes to USA or only incomes to Canada? what are the tax filing obligations? do i have to file taxes in Canada or US or Both?

3) In Canada, will I be considered employed or unemployed? How can I have health insurance and social guarantees?

Thanks in advance

Olivier
Hi

1. No. It will be your responsibility to report to CRA.

2. If you are paid in the US, you will pay taxes there. You then file your Canadian taxes claiming the foreign taxes paid and pay any difference. I suggest you consult an accountant experienced in Canada-US tax filing if you are unsure when filing for the first time.

3. You will be considered employed. You qualify like anyone else.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
One caveat: doubt you will receive extended health benefits which you would likely have received if the employer was in Canada.

OlivierP

Jul 7, 2018
Thanks for your answers. I am looking at an other option: incorporate myself. It may be simplier.