+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

free public education for kids of student visa holders

muskhan

Sep 30, 2021
Hi,
If I go to canada on a student visa do my kids get free public education in school like the kids of PR holders or do I have to pay their school fees?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hi,
If I go to canada on a student visa do my kids get free public education in school like the kids of PR holders or do I have to pay their school fees?
Your kids get free public education in primary and secondary schools if you have a valid study or work permit.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
oh how do I apply for their study permits...this info is new to me...please elaborate
Again depends on their ages. Do you have admission, when you apply you apply for their visitor visa or study visa (just like you are doing). This is not new but more and more VOs are asking for study permits for the children too.

muskhan

Sep 30, 2021
Again depends on their ages. Do you have admission, when you apply you apply for their visitor visa or study visa (just like you are doing). This is not new but more and more VOs are asking for study permits for the children too.
their ages are 12,9 and 7

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Visas/permits for families of international students aren’t guaranteed. Depends on type of degree, extra funds to support family, etc.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
their ages are 12,9 and 7
You need study permit for all of them. IRCC now rejects long-term visitor applications for student dependents older than 5 years. Save yourself the trouble of a rejection/cancellation and apply for a study permit for them all. You don't need to secure admission for them, just indicate on their application that you intend to register them with the relevant public school board once you land.