+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fraud marriage

ghodubaba

Nov 20, 2019
Hello I need suggestion for a friend...she got married in india and after marriage she found that husband already married before...

However my friend does not know that her husband is already married....so technically she was frauded.....also she did not register marriage with this guy in india...

Now my friend (she) wants to come to Canada on visitor visa...does she need to say that she is married or can she come as single?

She does not want to deal with this ....what do u guys say?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello I need suggestion for a friend...she got married in india and after marriage she found that husband already married before...

However my friend does not know that her husband is already married....so technically she was frauded.....also she did not register marriage with this guy in india...

Now my friend (she) wants to come to Canada on visitor visa...does she need to say that she is married or can she come as single?

Is she still still considered married by her family? If this is a religious marriage has there been a religious annulment or divorce? Is she still living like a married person with her spouse? Are you aware there are currently travel restrictions so a friend could not visit you in Canada.

ghodubaba

Nov 20, 2019
Her family does not consider this marriage at all....its not a religious marriage....she is living separately for last 1.5 years now...

I am aware of the restrictions but just wanted to be prepared..like how should she proceed on application...single or married?

janesama

Aug 14, 2020
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-04-2022
Med's Done....
13-08-2020
LANDED..........
16-11-2020
Her family does not consider this marriage at all....its not a religious marriage....she is living separately for last 1.5 years now...

I am aware of the restrictions but just wanted to be prepared..like how should she proceed on application...single or married?
Is there any documentation she can present to prove that she is married?

co2020

May 31, 2020

So basically you are asking us to tell you if your friend is married or not. Does she not know what type of marriage she got into. Does she have a certificate to prove this marriage? Does your country have a marriage registry she can check? Typically when you are married you should also sign the registry and have some sort of documents to prove the same.

Basically your friend should know her situation better and if she is confused she can always follow your countries steps to file for a divorce. If she can provide the documents requested for the divorce proceedings then she is married, if not, then she isn't or her marriage isn't recognized.

Let her also consider these:
In her application if she says single is she sure her name isn't on any registry.
If she says Married- How does she intend to prove this.
What if the supposed husband at any point, applies for Canadian immigration and lists her name as his wife and provides documents to prove this.
Let her file for divorce and have a proof of that.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
If she has no civil marriage she's not married legally, and if she doesn't meet the threshold for civil union, she doesn't have to put that either.

She would be single.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Kinda confused
None of us are immigration lawyers or consultants - we are normal people like you and this is a unique situation. We are guessing at the answer.

If you want an answer that you can be 100% confident in then I would recommend you hire an immigration lawyer to assist you.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You need to talk to a lawyer.

That being said, bigamy is a crime in India, and the second marriage is considered null and void. She is single and does not need to prove that.

But you still need to talk to a lawyer - there's a lot of things that can affect what I said above, and Indian family law is not something people here specialize in!

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are in a relationship with this person it is even more important to get some clarification on this from a lawyer.