+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Four months since I applied and no news...

S76

Mar 8, 2020
Hi,

It's been around four months since I sent my application for family sponsorship from outside Canada to CIC and I haven't heard anything yet... not even acknowledgement of receipt! I was told on this forum before that it takes time, but really is four months normal? Any advice?

adusafoa01

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
Don't worry dear, mine is 10months and no news not even an acknowledgement of receipt. I have sent in a second application. We are still waiting.

risingstar111

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
Hi,

It's been around four months since I sent my application for family sponsorship from outside Canada to CIC and I haven't heard anything yet... not even acknowledgement of receipt! I was told on this forum before that it takes time, but really is four months normal? Any advice?

It's been around four months since most of us heard anything from IRCC. Including those who applied way before COVID 19

S76

Mar 8, 2020
Seriously that can't be normal though! Why would it take so long for an AOR? I understand processing the application can take a while because many people are applying, but a receipt confirmation should not take so long. What if we're waiting all this time and it turns out somehow our application is not even in the queue or got misplaced/lost...etc.

@adusafoa01 ten months is really strange considering that the estimated time CIC provides for processing the whole application is 12 months. When did you send a second application? Did you have to pay the fees again?

Is there some hotline we can call to inquire? I'd rather not wait so long only to discover that I need to reapply again because someone misplaced my application.

Reactions: risingstar111

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Paper applications require people to have a space where they can work while social distancing. Would aasume that the processing office was closed due to lockdown. Applications may need to sit for a while before being handled or maybe gloves are now required. Covid will likely force CIC to transfer to online applications because now someone has to go check all the files for missing information and I believe that someone then scans the information. It is a very labour intensive process which likely had to make some major adjustments to make the workplace safe on top of a closure for a period of time.

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
It is going to be a long wait as long as COVID-19 is still a threat, especially because CIC doesn’t work alone in processing applications

S76

Mar 8, 2020
Paper applications require people to have a space where they can work while social distancing. Would aasume that the processing office was closed due to lockdown. Applications may need to sit for a while before being handled or maybe gloves are now required. Covid will likely force CIC to transfer to online applications because now someone has to go check all the files for missing information and I believe that someone then scans the information. It is a very labour intensive process which likely had to make some major adjustments to make the workplace safe on top of a closure for a period of time.
That begs the question why the process was paper based in the first place! Shouldn't take Covid to force them to go digital - after all we're in 2020! Anyway doesn't look like there's much we can do except wait and hopefully they'll get around to our applications soon!

Smd91_

Apr 6, 2019
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
15-03-2023
COVID is old news, people should get past it now. We want to re unite with our spouses. If not COVID our mental health will be kill us

Reactions: m.ford

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Seriously that can't be normal though! Why would it take so long for an AOR? I understand processing the application can take a while because many people are applying, but a receipt confirmation should not take so long. What if we're waiting all this time and it turns out somehow our application is not even in the queue or got misplaced/lost...etc.

Is there some hotline we can call to inquire? I'd rather not wait so long only to discover that I need to reapply again because someone misplaced my application.
Keep in mind that AOR isn't only confirmation that your paperwork has been received onsite, but also that it's been opened, checked, and deemed complete enough to move forward with and begin processing (eg. no missing signatures, no missing forms, all backup present, etc.). You may still be asked for revised or additional paperwork after AOR, but you will have gotten an application number and UCI (Unique Client Identification #) with AOR.

As for someone to call to inquire about status, without an application number, they probably won't be able to tell you anything, as your app. hasn't been logged into the system. I would suggest following along with the message board thread that matches your month, year, and application status (will be named something like AUGUST 2020 OUTLAND APPLICATIONS). From there you can track other apps that have been submitted around the same time. Are those applications moving at approximately the same, faster, or slower pace? If you find your application is moving much slower than everyone else's, then it may be time for concern and an attempt to reach out to IRCC to confirm your app isn't lost or misplaced.

S76

Mar 8, 2020
Keep in mind that AOR isn't only confirmation that your paperwork has been received onsite, but also that it's been opened, checked, and deemed complete enough to move forward with and begin processing (eg. no missing signatures, no missing forms, all backup present, etc.). You may still be asked for revised or additional paperwork after AOR, but you will have gotten an application number and UCI (Unique Client Identification #) with AOR.

As for someone to call to inquire about status, without an application number, they probably won't be able to tell you anything, as your app. hasn't been logged into the system. I would suggest following along with the message board thread that matches your month, year, and application status (will be named something like AUGUST 2020 OUTLAND APPLICATIONS). From there you can track other apps that have been submitted around the same time. Are those applications moving at approximately the same, faster, or slower pace? If you find your application is moving much slower than everyone else's, then it may be time for concern and an attempt to reach out to IRCC to confirm your app isn't lost or misplaced.
If AOR is all that, then yes it would take time. But why not a basic acknowledgment of receipt (regardless of completeness or lack of) as a first step? That would inform the applicant that their application was sent by the courier successfully, received at the correct address and in queue for processing. We wouldn't have to worry about non delivery or misplaced apps and not have to guess for months on what's going on (like the applicant above who had to submit a second application after ten months). In any case, thanks a lot for your advice. I think I'll do just that - follow the threads here and look out for people who've applied around the same time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That begs the question why the process was paper based in the first place! Shouldn't take Covid to force them to go digital - after all we're in 2020! Anyway doesn't look like there's much we can do except wait and hopefully they'll get around to our applications soon!
It has to do with money. Investing in new systems is expensive. Many people also don’t have access or feel co for table submitting an online application especially where you have to scan documents.