+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Found work, three weeks after landing... but...

rindy

Aug 16, 2011
Hi, I did find work quick. BUT, I'm a professional IT Technician/Supporter.I got over 10 years of work experience in the IT and also a computer scientist diplom.
It's a contract job. I'm a returning Canadian.
So, why the hell do I have a lower salary (approx. 2400$/month) then my father had 20 years ago as joiner? ( Please remember that 20 years ago the living costs were waaay smaller )
Where's the joke behind this? I'm really not picky and don't suspect to get a fantastic salary right after landing in Canada..
But 2400$? C'mon.

I live in Vancouver and also work here. I did know that Vancouver has the lowest payments and highest apartment leases, but this low?

Excuse me if I'm claiming about it, but it shocked me like hell.

And the other thing is... why are contract position worse payed then permanent positions? I know it from EU and also from Australia, it's supposed to be different, but not in Canada?

Would be great if you could write down some feedback about all these.

Thanks

Cheers!

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Why do you think this is? Have you done a job search to compare the salary of similar positions (I.T) in B.C?

rindy

Aug 16, 2011
Based on h t t p : / / w w w . canadavisa.com/canada-salary-wizard.html the avarage salary for a Helpdesk Support ( choosed Helpdesk to compare because it's mostly the most bad payed job in the IT )
is 45000$.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Big generalization:
There are a lot of people in that market (and the job market in general), many employees will work for minimum wage, so the rates are forced down.
Despite what many people suggest Canada is still dealing with recession, we are better off than most countries, but it is not great.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Give it a few more years, it will take time to move up the ladder and hopefully then you can earn more $$. You are lucky you got the job in your field within 3 weeks

Saeid2011

Aug 21, 2011
Iran
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rindy said:
Hi, I did find work quick. BUT, I'm a professional IT Technician/Supporter.I got over 10 years of work experience in the IT and also a computer scientist diplom.
It's a contract job. I'm a returning Canadian.
So, why the hell do I have a lower salary (approx. 2400$/month) then my father had 20 years ago as joiner? ( Please remember that 20 years ago the living costs were waaay smaller )
Where's the joke behind this? I'm really not picky and don't suspect to get a fantastic salary right after landing in Canada..
But 2400$? C'mon.

I live in Vancouver and also work here. I did know that Vancouver has the lowest payments and highest apartment leases, but this low?

Excuse me if I'm claiming about it, but it shocked me like hell.

And the other thing is... why are contract position worse payed then permanent positions? I know it from EU and also from Australia, it's supposed to be different, but not in Canada?

Would be great if you could write down some feedback about all these.

Thanks

Cheers!
The Vancouver is very expensive city for living,as my lawer told me last week:""for first when arrieved in Canada about 25 years ago I lived with family in north province which name is ....after 5 years when I saved money an become a wealth I go to Vancouver and i staied for 20 years