+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Found out that my mother has a SIN from her first husband...

Medic

Oct 31, 2016
US/Michigan citizen here. So I am just gathering up everything to submit for the Express Entry process and was talking to my mom. She informed me that she has a Social Insurance Number. I knew her first husband (my brother and sisters father, he was killed in an accident before a few years before I was born) was a Canadian citizen (PEI).

She said they were going to move there but then he got laid off from Chrysler Canada.

She said doesn't think she ever got her citizenship, but cannot say 100% since they never moved there. Asked about a PR card and she said she didn't think they even offered that at the time but could not confirm.

She obtained the SIN (she still has both hers and her first husbands card in hand) in the real late 60's or early 70's she believes but cannot recall the exact year.

The numbers start with 451 if that matters (not the current temp 9)

I know she stated that my brother and sister can't get dual citizenship because "the statute of limitations expired" when they looked into it a few years ago. Something about their current age. I know the getting citizenship requirements have changed a bit since you have to be landed in Canada for a certain period of time.

I contacted the attorney I have been dealing with but he's out of the office till next week.

I will talk to her more later tonight and see if I can dig in about the citizenship deal. Depending what she tells me, I may file for a request a search of citizenship records to verify.

Does this change any opportunities or possible routes for me? How about for her? She just turned 65. I don't know what the requirements were to obtain one then other than they started issuing them in 1964.

Thanks guys, and hope you don't stay too busy here with the influx of questions

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your half-siblings (children of a Canadian-born father) are Canadian citizens as of April 17, 2009 (but retroactive to their births). Their ages don't matter and they don't have to be landed or have ever lived in Canada. Have them look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDeDQpIQFD0

You would be a Canadian citizen only if your mother was a Canadian citizen when you were born. If she was somehow a permanent resident or just worked (or planned to work) in Canada (the main purpose of a SIN), you would not be a citizen.

From the information you have given, I don't see how your mother could have been a Canadian citizen, since she says she never lived in Canada...unless her parents were Canadian. A person does not acquire Canadian citizenship by marriage.

If you really want to have a search of citizenship records made, you may as well apply for proof of citizenship (or one of your half-siblings could do so) and request a search for your mother's records at the same time. The reason is that the fee for a search is $75 and the fee for a citizenship certificate is $75, but if you request both together, there is no fee for the search.