+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Found out some news and now worried about the course of the sponsorship process

x5-452

Star Member
May 13, 2010
Well i get some news today that my wife who is american is pregnant. It wasn't planned by both of us but we are also happy.
However, I have been in the process of gathering all my required documents and paperwork to sponsor my wife into canada. I am born canadian and am currently on a temporary work visa in the US. I plan on working back in canada with the same company (cdn branch).

Now from what i hear it takes roughly 9 months for this process to happen and for her to come to canada.
Problem is if we have the child in the USA then I would then be required to submit an application for citizenship certificate for our new baby, which my goodness will take a year (from timelines on cdn citizenship website). I can't wait that long for my family to come to Canada. My plan is to have my wife come here as a visitor have the baby here and then hopefully she gets her PR approved afterwards. Actually my hope is to get PR before the birth but that would be unlikely.

Do any of you have any suggestions, advice...i'm freaking here. I don't know what to do. I just want to do things right and not p!ss off any immigration officials.

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
the baby can be in Canada while the citizenship certificate is in process. as for the PR process for your wife, has she had her medical exam yet? If not, there may be an issue since she won't be able to get a chest xray without a doctor's permission. Either way, get her application in as soon as possible, it is actually likely that (barring the medical) she will have landed in less than 9 months (though you don't say just exactly "how" pregnant she is) Half of all applications in Buffalo are done at the 6 month mark. plus about 30 days for Canada to approve you as a sponsor.

can_usa_97

May 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07/13/2010
AOR Received.
09/07/2010 in process 9/2
File Transfer...
08/12/2010
Med's Request
Rcv'd dtd 10/18
Med's Done....
06/22/2010
Interview........
Waived dtd 10/18
Passport Req..
11/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2010
LANDED..........
06/18/2011
My kids Certificate of Citizenship was processed in 2 weeks turn around when I indicated that we were intending to move in October or November 2010 (I got them last month). We are in the US now, and returning to Ontario.

Just a thought, that you might be able to expedite it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No reason to freak out. If the baby is born in the US, you can still bring the baby to the US on its US passport without having the citizenship certificate. If need be, you can apply for the citizenship certificate at the Canadian embassy and after applying, get a temporary Canadian passport for the baby right away. If you ask them to expedite the citizenship certificate for the baby because you are moving to Canada right away, you could also get it very fast. Somebody on here was saying within a month. If you choose to have the baby born in Canada, before your wife gets health care, you will have to pay so unless you are rich, you might want to take that into account. It is however an option for her to go with you to Canada as a visitor before she gets her PR and stay in Canada with you, have the baby in Canada (and pay).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What province will you be living in?

Some provinces (e.g. Ontario) don't provide health care coverage until three months after you land as a permanent resident. Until then, all health care costs come out of your own pocket. I believe the cost of delivering a baby can exceed $10K and can't be covered separately by insurance since the pregnancy will be classified as a pre-existing condition.

Good luck!

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
x5-452 said:
Well i get some news today that my wife who is american is pregnant. It wasn't planned by both of us but we are also happy.
However, I have been in the process of gathering all my required documents and paperwork to sponsor my wife into canada. I am born canadian and am currently on a temporary work visa in the US. I plan on working back in canada with the same company (cdn branch).

Now from what i hear it takes roughly 9 months for this process to happen and for her to come to canada.
Problem is if we have the child in the USA then I would then be required to submit an application for citizenship certificate for our new baby, which my goodness will take a year (from timelines on cdn citizenship website). I can't wait that long for my family to come to Canada. My plan is to have my wife come here as a visitor have the baby here and then hopefully she gets her PR approved afterwards. Actually my hope is to get PR before the birth but that would be unlikely.

Do any of you have any suggestions, advice...i'm freaking here. I don't know what to do. I just want to do things right and not p!ss off any immigration officials.
Im waiting for my daughters certificate and had no problem bringing her across the border on her American passport.

I

iarblue

Did she already have her medical?If so you will likely be here before the child is born through Buffalo.

x5-452

Star Member
May 13, 2010
No no medical yet but have one scheduled on Sept 22. Once I get that I will file right away.
Right now i really need to get some research going and a plan of action and I appreciate & thank everyone's advice and suggestions.

I

iarblue

Yeah you need to do the medical; asap as some doctors wont do it depending on how far along she is and if she cant get the whole medical done,then the process goes on hold until the child is born and she can finish her medical.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The earlier she is in the pregnancy, the more dangerous an X-ray will be. Some doctors will allow an X-ray in the last trimester; no reputable one is going to want to do one before that. The safest is to delay the X-ray until after the birth. Some people have said on here that CIC accepted their application even though the medical did not include the chest X-ray when the doctor stated the applicant was pregnant. Others said the application was delayed until after the birth when the X-ray could be done. Don't jeopardize your child's health by insisting the doctor do the X-ray when it is dangerous. Better to wait a bit - your wife can stay in Canada while the application is in process.

Black-Berry

Jul 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville And Nanaimo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25/01/10
Doc's Request.
27/07/10
File Transfer...
20/10/10
Interview........
November 29th, 2010
LANDED..........
March 29th, 2011
Ok this is my experience. My husbands canadian.. So my kids became automatically canadian through the first generation rule they posted on their website. they were not born in canada. they were born in Bermuda. We moved here in canada last year in November. We applied for their Canadian citizenship certificates in december through the "proof of canadian status" forms. They got their canadian certificates immediately! :D. Am talking about Early february!..It took only 2 motnhs. If your child is born to you its father and you are a canadian citizen after 1947 your child will automatically be a canadian citizen and he/she can come live here,.
I wouldnt worry if i were you...

x5-452

Star Member
May 13, 2010
canadianwoman said:
The earlier she is in the pregnancy, the more dangerous an X-ray will be. Some doctors will allow an X-ray in the last trimester; no reputable one is going to want to do one before that. The safest is to delay the X-ray until after the birth. Some people have said on here that CIC accepted their application even though the medical did not include the chest X-ray when the doctor stated the applicant was pregnant. Others said the application was delayed until after the birth when the X-ray could be done. Don't jeopardize your child's health by insisting the doctor do the X-ray when it is dangerous. Better to wait a bit - your wife can stay in Canada while the application is in process.
I thought that ALL documentation must be submitted at once sponsorship and PR applications? So how do i submit an application without the medicals? Also you say my wife can stay in canada, but how long?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
x5-452 said:
I thought that ALL documentation must be submitted at once sponsorship and PR applications? So how do i submit an application without the medicals? Also you say my wife can stay in canada, but how long?
When the applicant is pregnant there is a problem with getting the medicals. Early in the pregnancy it is too dangerous for the child's health to get the x-ray, so the DMP's won't allow it. There was a thread about this a while back, and one woman said CIC accepted her medicals minus the x-ray with the doctor's note. Others have had to wait until birth to complete the medical; you can also get an x-ray late in pregnancy using lead shields to protect the fetus.
Your wife can enter Canada as a visitor, usually for 6 months, and this time can be extended.

x5-452

Star Member
May 13, 2010
great TY.
My worry is what will the border officials ask and what would she need to say in order to stay in canada for 6 months as a visitor?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
She can say she is coming to visit her husband. She should not say she is moving here. They usually let Americans in with no problems, but can sometimes ask questions and want proof she will leave Canada after her visit, so she should come prepared with proof she will be leaving - a return ticket, a job to go back to and a letter from her employer stating she is expected back after her vacation, money in the bank, health insurance for her trip. They may never ask to see any of this, but it is best to be prepared. If they don't limit her stay by stamping her passport, she can stay 6 months (even if she told them a shorter time at the border.)