+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Found interensting job offer, what next ?

DariuszPoland

Oct 16, 2010
Poland
Visa Office......
Poland Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Everyone !

I'm Dariusz and I'm from Poland (and currently in), and I'm new here, sorry if my questions are obvious for You Guys :)

Please tell me, I've been to many job search pages, and I've found many interesting offers, what next, I'll of course will send my resume and cover letter. But should I mention that I'm not i Canada ? Somehow ask my possible future employer do he have any experience in foreign workers, LMO and other that kind of issues ? Or should I simply do not mention about any of things listed above, becouse, i've been thinking and, if I would be an employer, labour market opinion and hiring foreigner worker instead of a Permanent Residend would scare me off a bit. I of course do not know the situation on labour market, but I don't know what to do in order to don't scare my future employer.

Thanks for interest in my thread and any responses

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No one has replied to you - so I thought I'd throw my two cents in...

I have done a fair amount of hiring within financial services in Canada. If someone had applied for one of my openings and wasn't up front about the fact that they were not currently entitled to work in Canada - I would be furious (and their resume would have ended up in my garbage can).

If I were in your shoes, I would openly mention this in your cover letter. I would mention that you are currently located in country X but are willing to relocate immediately to Canada for the right job opportunity. I would further add that while you are currently not entitled to work in Canada, if you are selected as the candidate for this role, you could quality for a work permit with the assistance of the hiring company. You could even provide a link to the LMO page in your cover letter in case the hiring company is not familiar with the process.

You're right in guessing that some employers may be scared off by the prospect of an LMO. However they will find out sooner or later. So you might as well tell them up front so they know all of the facts. Again, from my standpoint, if this information isn't provided up front - that's misrepresentation.

Anyway - that's just my opinion. Others may feel differently. Hope it helps!

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree, it's important to be transparent when you are applying for a job. As a prospective employer, if you try to avoid (or hide) even a small issue I'm going to assume there are other issues that you've omitted from your application. So be upfront and open.

The general rule is never draw an overwhelming amount of attention to any lack of experience or qualifications you have, but always be honest on your resume. If someone was hired and on their resume they had very good experience, but they exaggerated and claimed they have completed a college diploma when they may have only completed 1/2 of the program, you could be fired, if the company wanted to press the issue, as you misrepresented yourself and lied about details on your resume.

To get current information about Canadian job search strategies visit www.careego.com

DariuszPoland

Oct 16, 2010
Poland
Visa Office......
Poland Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi ! Thank You for replying !

I haven't send anything yet, I'm still thinking how to put with right words. I don't want to hide anything, I just wanted to know what do You think about explaining the process of hiring a foreigner to future eployers, becosuse that's what I was thinking about - exactly explaining the whole WP, and LMO process in my cover letter, showing that it's not very difficult, just wasn't sure is this appropriate

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wouldn't go into all that detail in your cover letter. If they are a company that has previously hired from outside Canada they will be already be familiar with the process, and if they haven't their internal HR department would investigate the options.

The last thing you want to do is come across as being too pushy, although I know you're really just trying to be helpful -- it all depends on how the receiver interprets the meaning/message.

thezieglers

Star Member
Sep 14, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would not explain anything about LMO and all that. Just be frontal on the fact that you are not in Canada but willing to immediately relocate and that's it. If you have what's needed, you should have your chance

DariuszPoland

Oct 16, 2010
Poland
Visa Office......
Poland Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Writing about LMO and all complications can help, he can for example resignate becouse it's too much troupble for him and save my time. Or place an advert on job bank to meet the conditions as soon asa possible. Not to mention that it's shows me as orientated and informed person, what is good I think.