+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forwading PR Card outside of Canada

spherical

Aug 23, 2015
Hi,

I did a short landing back in July for permanent residency, and provided a friend's address in Calgary for my PR card as I wouldn't be able to stay in Canada until it arrived.

I assumed that she would be able to forward my card to the UK, but the envelope has come with a huge 'Do not forward' sign on it, and she's very cautious to do anything that is disallowed.

I know that plenty of people have forwarded cards in the past, but does it actually say anywhere that this is or isn't allowed?

Or should I just look to either enter by land when I finally move over around May next year, or apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document?

Thanks for your help,
Sophia

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
spherical said:
Hi,

I did a short landing back in July for permanent residency, and provided a friend's address in Calgary for my PR card as I wouldn't be able to stay in Canada until it arrived.

I assumed that she would be able to forward my card to the UK, but the envelope has come with a huge 'Do not forward' sign on it, and she's very cautious to do anything that is disallowed.

I know that plenty of people have forwarded cards in the past, but does it actually say anywhere that this is or isn't allowed?

Or should I just look to either enter by land when I finally move over around May next year, or apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document?

Thanks for your help,
Sophia
It's not prohibited to send a PR card through the post or via courier. Many have done so, including myself. The "Do not forward" on the original letter is for Canada Post, not you.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
spherical said:
Hi,

Thanks for your help,
Sophia
I am not sure if it is allowed to mail the pr card outside of Canada however, "Do not forward" sign is for not forward it in within Canada and is intended for that specific address only.
Please call 1-888-242-2100 to check if the PR card can be mailed outside Canada.

spherical

Aug 23, 2015
Thanks for the help guys - I'd have no issue with her forwarding it (and assumed the same as you about it being for the postal service), but she's just not that familiar with the process and wants some concrete evidence that it's fine. It's her parent's business address so she's worried about anything being tied back to it understandably.

As I'm not in Canada right now, I'll suggest that she call the call centre to reassure her, but make sure she doesn't mention my details just in case :)

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
thecoolguysam said:
I am not sure if it is allowed to mail the pr card outside of Canada however, "Do not forward" sign is for not forward it in within Canada and is intended for that specific address only.
Please call 1-888-242-2100 to check if the PR card can be mailed outside Canada.
Its fine. I asked my ups guys to forward it to me (out of Canada). Its just a travel document like any other original confidential doc (like passport).
If passports can be sent in and out of Canada (during ppr stage, same CIC accepts passports by post and sends out by post) then why not PR card. Among these, Passports are more sensitive document than PR card.

I dont think cic can provide legal opinion on this and that too from our great cic call center agents.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's perfectly ok to mail it. Might want to make it registered mail though or send by courier to avoid it getting lost.

It's hard to find anything saying it's ok but if it were not allowed, you should be able to find something stating that it's not allowed but you wont. However, it's ok for immigration to mail is so that is not the problem. The no forwarding is there because immigration wants to avoid it getting lost.

If she still doesn't feel comfortable doing it, you can either enter by land from the US or apply for a PR travel document.