+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Former IEC holder, looking for advice

JamesBarnes

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
Hi everyone!

I apologise if there's already a similar thread, I'm looking for some advice. I'll try my best to cut a long story short!

I'm a 32 year old who's just come to the end of a two year IEC visa and I'm returning to the UK next week. I applied for a work permit extension but was denied due to not having a LMIA and the fact (I didn't know this at the time of application) the IEC cannot be extended beyond the two years.

I immensely enjoyed my time in Canada, I settled in Ottawa, had a job I enjoyed and even found a partner. We've been dating for about three months now so obviously leaving was pretty hard. What I'm looking for is basically advice on what would be my best steps in getting back to Canada. Some facts of note that might help out are: -

- The work I did in Canada was tech support but, according to the HR department falls under NOC code C, not B (so not good enough for Express Entry)
- I am considering returning to school to become a radiologist or sonographer, there are available courses at Algonquin College in Ottawa, a secondary plan I have is to save in the UK for a year or so then return on a student visa
- I do have some NOC Code B experience as a retail supervisor, the last time I did that was in 2011.
- My partner and I have discussed the possibility of him sponsoring me, he's currently not working due to a health issue but not on any form of welfare. We're not married.
- I have a good relationship with my boss from my Canadian job who has said they would happily rehire me as soon as I'm back in the country. Have not yet looked into whether or not they would provide a LMIA or if this would even matter

Basically, I'm just wondering what options I have available to me and which would be the best way forward in getting me back to Ottawa as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

JamesBarnes

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
So what do you mean tech support ? Have you checked your job duties yourself as opposed to relying on HR who in many companies are not keen to encourage immigration sponsorship.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/find-national-occupation-code.html
Thanks for your fast reply! I personally believed the job I did fell within NOC B 2282 'user support technicans'. I worked from home, taking calls and chats and remotely accessing client's computers to resolve issues such as virus removal, printer installations, software installation, troubleshooting etc.

• client support representative – systems
  • hardware technical support analyst
  • help desk technician
  • software technical support analyst
  • technical support supervisor
  • technical support analyst – systems
  • computer help desk representative – systems
  • computer help desk supervisor
  • hardware installation technician
  • software installation technician
  • systems support representative
  • user support technician
  • call centre agent – technical support
That's the list for 2282. However, I brought this up with my immediate supervisor. He agreed that my job role falls within the category and spoke to HR on my behalf. HR refused to budge and said they would provide a letter of reference for a PR application but it would state the job was NOC Code C as stating it was B would be misleading and could risk their position with the CIC. They also advised my supervisor not to provide me a letter saying my job was B. Understandably he didn't want to risk his job.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can correct me but ultimately it would be IRCC who would validate whether your job duties correspond to an B or a C not some HR department who should really only confirm you worked at a company in such and such a role performing x duties. It is the latter that is important whether your duties map to a specific role/ code.

To me just sounds as though the HR department are following a policy that they just do not want to be seen in effect sponsoring someone so the easy way out is to say your job is a C but did they even quote a NOC code to you ? As for an LMIA whilst your immediate boss might say one thing sounds to me that HR may well have a different view as expressed through their NOC statement.

Above is a personal view by the way

Last edited: