+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Former Failed Refugee Applying for E.E (Need Advice)

Juanita987

Aug 12, 2018
I’m interested in immigrating to Canada through the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program and would really appreciate some advice regarding my case. I’m really stressed out here as I have completed my WES evaluation and IELTS and have enough CRS score for an ITA, but due to my past history I’m very confused.

Around December of 2003 when I was 13 years old my family moved from the U.S to Canada and applied for asylum which was later rejected. We returned to the U.S and from here we returned to our home country.

The issue here is that my personal information such as my name is not the same as it was then and I’m afraid during the eAPR process I might get rejected, as I don’t have any documents relating to that period so I would be unable to prove this time period, and am afraid that this might complicate my case.

I know from the below page the documents that would be required but would like them to hear from people with similar backgrounds who applied and what if any additional documents they were asked to present during the eAPR process other than those mentioned below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

The other option I have is to not mention in my E.E that I previously applied as I never really applied to I.R.C.C directly. But I believe in 2003 when we applied for asylum my fingerprints were taken, but I’m not 100% sure, and before you get your P.R a biometric test is done which includes fingerprints. Also I don’t know if Canada was capturing and storing fingerprints as of 2003 and how long those would be stored for if captured and those of 13 year old kids.

This matter has really stressed me and I am on the brink of depression as one of my life goals was immigrate and return to back to Canada. Thank you everyone for any advice or help I really appreciate it in advance.

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
There is a question as to whether you had used a different name in the past to which you should answer in the affirmative. The answer should be yes to having applied to IRCC before but if you're not sure, explain about that in the letter of explanation. Fingerprints are stored. Buena suerte

Juanita987

Aug 12, 2018
There is a question as to whether you had used a different name in the past to which you should answer in the affirmative. The answer should be yes to having applied to IRCC before but if you're not sure, explain about that in the letter of explanation. Fingerprints are stored. Buena suerte
Thanks for the reply, would you be able to provide more information regarding the finger print storage as of now kids age of 14 minimum provide biometrics.

Thank yoy

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
I can't really give you more info on that. If you had given your fingerprints before then I'm sure they'd be stored in the system.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
I don't see why you're stressed over this, it's a non-issue no matter how anyone sees it. You only need to check yes for having applied for asylum in the past and mention whatever you remember in a LOE. Include only details that you are certain about. This way you are safeguarding yourself against any allegation of misrepresentation in the future and putting the burden of discovery of any info related to this incident on IRCC.

Your application will be processed normally and you may not be even asked about it as it is irrelevant.

In case you were wondering, Canada does retain immigration records for varying amount of times but in your case in asylum it is usually retained for longer periods of times that often go into decades of storage. So your family's previous asylum app is definitely still there.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
The issue here is that my personal information such as my name is not the same as it was then and I’m afraid during the eAPR process I might get rejected, as I don’t have any documents relating to that period so I would be unable to prove this time period, and am afraid that this might complicate my case.
That's fine. Just mention your previous name. There is nothing wrong about having used different names. You don't have to prove anything from that period whether your name, your visit, your asylum ..etc. No documents should be asked as this was in Canada so it sounds like IRCC would be asking you to provide documents that they already have. Don't worry you just have to mention it in your app and nothing more.

The other option I have is to not mention in my E.E that I previously applied as I never really applied to I.R.C.C directly. But I believe in 2003 when we applied for asylum my fingerprints were taken, but I’m not 100% sure, and before you get your P.R a biometric test is done which includes fingerprints. Also I don’t know if Canada was capturing and storing fingerprints as of 2003 and how long those would be stored for if captured and those of 13 year old kids.
Do that and you will actually create trouble for yourself that wasn't there to begin with. If you knowingly conceal matters related to your application you will be excluded for 5 years, and all that for not wanting to say you've been to Canada as a kid? It is NOT a crime to apply for asylum and there is nothing wrong about listing this info in your application. If you're thinking convenience then you a risking so much that you don't know for this little convenience.

Reactions: tobs and Juanita987

mike2236

Nov 28, 2017
I’m interested in immigrating to Canada through the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program and would really appreciate some advice regarding my case. I’m really stressed out here as I have completed my WES evaluation and IELTS and have enough CRS score for an ITA, but due to my past history I’m very confused.

Around December of 2003 when I was 13 years old my family moved from the U.S to Canada and applied for asylum which was later rejected. We returned to the U.S and from here we returned to our home country.

I know from the below page the documents that would be required but would like them to hear from people with similar backgrounds who applied and what if any additional documents they were asked to present during the eAPR process other than those mentioned below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

This matter has really stressed me and I am on the brink of depression as one of my life goals was immigrate and return to back to Canada. Thank you everyone for any advice or help I really appreciate it in advance.
Was an ID in that different name provided? If so then that might be a different story altogether.

Juanita987

Aug 12, 2018
Was an ID in that different name provided? If so then that might be a different story altogether.
I'm sorry but can you please clarify what you mean as well as how it may be a concern? If you mean if Canada issued any document in my previous name then yes, and I don't have those documents anymore from that time.

But, it seems most posters seem to agree that I should not have to provide any documents from that time period so if you could explain further if this is the concern I would appreciate it.

Juanita987

Aug 12, 2018
That's fine. Just mention your previous name. There is nothing wrong about having used different names. You don't have to prove anything from that period whether your name, your visit, your asylum ..etc. No documents should be asked as this was in Canada so it sounds like IRCC would be asking you to provide documents that they already have. Don't worry you just have to mention it in your app and nothing more.

Do that and you will actually create trouble for yourself that wasn't there to begin with. If you knowingly conceal matters related to your application you will be excluded for 5 years, and all that for not wanting to say you've been to Canada as a kid? It is NOT a crime to apply for asylum and there is nothing wrong about listing this info in your application. If you're thinking convenience then you a risking so much that you don't know for this little convenience.

Thank you so much for the post it has really relieved the stress I was facing and guided me on the right path and I would not like to hide anything. You seem to speak with a lot of confidence regarding your answer may I inquire if you have seen a case similar to this and are able to say so because of that?

Also would you happen to know anything regarding the name change document requirements as mentioned at the below page if this would be required as well? Also what documents are normally required for the name change process and if a simple affidavit should do.

Thank you so much again.

mike2236

Nov 28, 2017
I'm sorry but can you please clarify what you mean as well as how it may be a concern? If you mean if Canada issued any document in my previous name then yes, and I don't have those documents anymore from that time.

But, it seems most posters seem to agree that I should not have to provide any documents from that time period so if you could explain further if this is the concern I would appreciate it.
No, I mean if a different name and document were provided upon entry into Canada. Regardless, I don't think that may be an issue due to your age.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
Thank you so much for the post it has really relieved the stress I was facing and guided me on the right path and I would not like to hide anything. You seem to speak with a lot of confidence regarding your answer may I inquire if you have seen a case similar to this and are able to say so because of that?

Also would you happen to know anything regarding the name change document requirements as mentioned at the below page if this would be required as well? Also what documents are normally required for the name change process and if a simple affidavit should do.

Thank you so much again.
You will need to prove your previous name with an official document if your previous studies, diplomas, work experience ..etc are under a different name. This is obviously to prevent fraud and using someone else's credential and experience. However in your case, since your name is consistent on all your docs it is okay if you cannot provide documentation for your previous name you only have to provide a letter of explanation. Same applies for date of birth.

Reactions: Juanita987

Juanita987

Aug 12, 2018
You will need to prove your previous name with an official document if your previous studies, diplomas, work experience ..etc are under a different name. This is obviously to prevent fraud and using someone else's credential and experience. However in your case, since your name is consistent on all your docs it is okay if you cannot provide documentation for your previous name you only have to provide a letter of explanation. Same applies for date of birth.

Thank you again for the amazing help, I will apply for immigration sometime this week and get on track to achieve one of my life goals. Yes, all of my documents and studies are in my current name and all my documents has the current correct date of birth.

I would like your advice regarding the format of the LOE which I will make during the eAPR process. How much information should I share here. For example, I will mention that my family applied for asylum in 2003 and we returned back in 2006 and my name at the time. But should I also mention that the date or birth was wrong and the actual should be one year ahead?

And should I mention information about my family as they also changed their names from the time they applied. I don't think this should be necessary as I'm immigrating alone and they are not my dependants and I have been independent for sometime now.

Thank you again you are a life/dream saver I promise one day when I'm successful you're on the list of people I would like to find and repay fully.

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
The LOE should be as short and brief as possible. You only need to say what and where, not why. Don't include any statements that are not %100 truthful or any facts that you are not %100 sure about. Do not use evasive language and never downplay any facts or state your opinion about things. The explanation should not read like a story but rather like a report, i.e. instead of writing "When I was 13 years old my family took me to Canada ..etc" it's better to write "In 2003 I was included in an application for refugee protection in Canada. I was 13 years old at the time."

If the officer has concerns they will come back to you with their questions, do not try to guess what they might want to know and then unnecessarily volunteer this information in advance before they ask.

Also, It is perfectly okay to say that you don't remember things when asked or that you haven't documented what happened with regards to any events that happened in your childhood.

Reactions: Juanita987