+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Form imm5710e for PGWP: what co-op students should choose for question 3?

hamid123456

Dec 17, 2016
Hi,

I have recently finished my studies in Canada and I'm trying to apply for Post Graduation Work Permit.

I have a bit of doubt what to choose for the following question:

Since I was a coop student, I already received a work permit during my studies.

Does it still make sense to choose this option: 'Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer' ?

Goodygoody

Star Member
May 15, 2019
Hi,

I have recently finished my studies in Canada and I'm trying to apply for Post Graduation Work Permit.

I have a bit of doubt what to choose for the following question:

Since I was a coop student, I already received a work permit during my studies.

Does it still make sense to choose this option: 'Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer' ?
Yes you should select apply for a work permit with new employer. Like employer name and location you can put unknown etc.

Reactions: hamid123456
May 14, 2020
Yes you should select apply for a work permit with new employer. Like employer name and location you can put unknown etc.
Hi,
I have the same question. In my case my post-grad employer is the same as my internship employer. Basically, I got an offer from my internship employer to join after my graduation. Which option should I fill then. Would Option 2 still be applicable for my case?
Thanks,

May 14, 2020
May 14, 2020
No, PGWP is an OWP and should be option two. You have asked this question too much today already.
@kloppity I am sorry if it sounds repetitive. But I hope you can understand these are stressful times.
Also, even the co-op work permit is an OWP. I know PGWP and co-op permits are different but they are both OWP and in my case with the same employer. So do you think it would still be option 2?
Apologies if it seems repetitive, but I am kind of in a frenzy here and any help means a lot!
Thanks!

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
@kloppity I am sorry if it sounds repetitive. But I hope you can understand these are stressful times.
Also, even the co-op work permit is an OWP. I know PGWP and co-op permits are different but they are both OWP and in my case with the same employer. So do you think it would still be option 2?
Apologies if it seems repetitive, but I am kind of in a frenzy here and any help means a lot!
Thanks!
First things first, calm down. Being paranoid is setting yourself up to make a mistake that you will eventually regret.

So, this is your first PGWP application, you are applying as someone going into the workforce for the first time hence the FIRST TIME part of option two - Your Co-op permit is not considered a working status since you were still a student just gaining a bit of experience.

Ideally when you applied for a WP the school should be your employer, because they dictate how long and sometimes what type of job you can take for coop. In a PGWP application, you are free to work for anyone and are not binded by any employer hence the NEW EMPLOYER part of the second option implies that the university does not decide where or how long you work for anymore.

For a bit of clarity, the first option applies to those who's work permit are being sponsored by an employer, say a company brings you to Canada (fills out a LMIA etc), and wants you to work for them on a rolling contract, in that case whenever you apply for a WP, you will have to fill the first option since your being in Canada is tied to them. Someone like that has always been a worker and was never a student, hence the word "NEW" is missing and replaced with "Same Employer".

So, in your case, OPTION B is the RIGHT thing to choose.

I really don't understand why you had to make me type that out but, yeah, ...

Last edited:
Reactions: rashpalsidhu77
May 14, 2020
@kloppity
Thank you so much. Really!
I can sense your frustration but this was exactly what I needed. This really cleared everything and I am sorry if I couldn't get it from your earlier responses. Thanks a lot for taking the time out for typing out a detailed answer. Really appreciate it!
Take care and stay safe!

Reactions: kloppity

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
@kloppity
Thank you so much. Really!
I can sense your frustration but this was exactly what I needed. This really cleared everything and I am sorry if I couldn't get it from your earlier responses. Thanks a lot for taking the time out for typing out a detailed answer. Really appreciate it!
Take care and stay safe!
You are welcome, buddy. I tone was said in jest more than anything. Don't worry too much and just apply. The processing time appears to be a bit faster now. All the best and stay safe too

mdaako

May 27, 2017
Hello,

Sorry I couldn't find an answer to my case and I wonder If i can find some help here. I think it's super simple but I am still unsure.
I am currently under PGWP and currently working for a company. I don't know If I should select the first or second option:

1. Apply for a work permit with the same employer
2. Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer' ?