+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Form IMM5532 Question

Btremblay

Mar 14, 2019
Hello,

I am confused on what to put for Part C Question 3 of this form: Are you living together now?

My Wife is here in Canada living with me and my mom. It is my mom's house and we do not pay any rent. Would that be classified as living together or would she still be classified as visiting me since we do not pay rent?

Thanks! :)

myers1811

Star Member
Jan 26, 2020
Hello,

I am confused on what to put for Part C Question 3 of this form: Are you living together now?

My Wife is here in Canada living with me and my mom. It is my mom's house and we do not pay any rent. Would that be classified as living together or would she still be classified as visiting me since we do not pay rent?

How are you guys showing that you've lived together for more than 1 year?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Hello,

Yes, you are living together.

Btremblay

Mar 14, 2019
Yes, you are living together.
Just to follow up since I want to make sure everything gets done correctly. On form imm5533 (The document checklist). Question 7 a) asks if you and your spouse are currently living together. I am guessing I answer yes, but I am unable to provide at least 2 of the required set of documents to prove it. The only thing I would have is a cellphone bill under my name that pays for hers and mine cell phones. Any advice on this?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Just to follow up since I want to make sure everything gets done correctly. On form imm5533 (The document checklist). Question 7 a) asks if you and your spouse are currently living together. I am guessing I answer yes, but I am unable to provide at least 2 of the required set of documents to prove it. The only thing I would have is a cellphone bill under my name that pays for hers and mine cell phones. Any advice on this?
Find more proof, or write a letter of explanation.

If you are applying inland, you must be living together so you need to prove it.

Btremblay

Mar 14, 2019
Find more proof, or write a letter of explanation.

If you are applying inland, you must be living together so you need to prove it.
Would it be appropriate/allowed to have my mom (who is the owner of the house) create a rental agreement with both of our names attached to it?

Musti82

Star Member
Oct 9, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is any requirement of proving we lived together for one year since we are married.

Awesome! Thank you for the quick response. :)
correct, you still have to show that you live in the same houselhold, show proof that you declare each other as spouse.
-i had to show my work insurance i declared my wife as spouse,
-also had to show banking transactions that we have a joint account and share expenses,

Reactions: Btremblay

Btremblay

Mar 14, 2019
correct, you still have to show that you live in the same houselhold, show proof that you declare each other as spouse.
-i had to show my work insurance i declared my wife as spouse,
-also had to show banking transactions that we have a joint account and share expenses,
Okay perfect. I will add her onto my work insurance and I'll make sure to have a joint account with her as well. This settled the nerves a little bit. Thanks :)

Musti82

Star Member
Oct 9, 2017
Okay perfect. I will add her onto my work insurance and I'll make sure to have a joint account with her as well. This settled the nerves a little bit. Thanks :)
no worries, my problem was i bought my house prior to my wife and i couldnt really add her to any bills, so other than joint bank account we didnt have much in 2 names. the work insurance statement was a good one, i also lived with my wife 1.5 before getting married so i knew the procedure i opened the account almost 2 years prior

one advice, please read everything on your checklist , whatever they say send it, send it, unless you dont have what they are asking for, for every document you can not provide, make sure you write an explanation why, because people read it and say "oh i didnt have that doc so i didnt send it" and next thing you know they get their whole package returned. if you dont have the doc its okay, just write as why you dont have.

Btremblay

Mar 14, 2019
no worries, my problem was i bought my house prior to my wife and i couldnt really add her to any bills, so other than joint bank account we didnt have much in 2 names. the work insurance statement was a good one, i also lived with my wife 1.5 before getting married so i knew the procedure i opened the account almost 2 years prior

one advice, please read everything on your checklist , whatever they say send it, send it, unless you dont have what they are asking for, for every document you can not provide, make sure you write an explanation why, because people read it and say "oh i didnt have that doc so i didnt send it" and next thing you know they get their whole package returned. if you dont have the doc its okay, just write as why you dont have.
That is awesome advice and I will be sure to keep that in mind while going through the whole process. I appreciate the help!