+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Form IMM 5604 (Non accompanying parent)

cclavec

Feb 23, 2019
Greetings and thanks for taking the time for reading.

My wife's application is currently being processed at the Colombian embassy and they requested to resubmit for IMM 5604 (declaration for non accompanying parent for minors) as it was done incorrectly.

They said that the form was not stamped and from what I recall the notary did not stamp the form directly as it was "not a colombian document" and instead placed a stamp on the translation which was on a separate but attached page.

My question is was this form done incorrectly because the stamp was not placed on the actual form itself?

Thanks in advance

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Greetings and thanks for taking the time for reading.

My wife's application is currently being processed at the Colombian embassy and they requested to resubmit for IMM 5604 (declaration for non accompanying parent for minors) as it was done incorrectly.

They said that the form was not stamped and from what I recall the notary did not stamp the form directly as it was "not a colombian document" and instead placed a stamp on the translation which was on a separate but attached page.

My question is was this form done incorrectly because the stamp was not placed on the actual form itself?

Thanks in advance
This issue comes up in some civil law countries, notaries will not witness a foreign language document signing. Obviously you could contct the embassy and see if they have a standard way - like a version of the form that is in both languages.

Two approaches that I know have worked (but different country and language):
-I had the form translated (with certifcation) into target language, had that witnessed/executed with notary, and then translated back into english. A bit clunky but notaries and translators work together so it wasn't so hard.
-Just after I submitted our app, somehow out of consular bureaucracy at embassy sent me a version of the form in english and local language (columns) - it was clearly a "homemade" one with no letterhead or strict use of the format of the original form. Was too late for me to use but clearly they'd run into this before. If you can't find one, I expect a version made yourself with translator would be fine if the translator can provide certificate for that format - after all the one I got had clearly just been made on a regular computer.

Spanish language forums on Cdn immigration may have more country specific info, I think this notary-witnessing issue comes up in most spanish speaking countries (Spain being an exception, perhaps, as EU has some standard way to deal with this, I recall hearing)

Good luck.

Temidayo_

Dec 3, 2019
This issue comes up in some civil law countries, notaries will not witness a foreign language document signing. Obviously you could contct the embassy and see if they have a standard way - like a version of the form that is in both languages.

Two approaches that I know have worked (but different country and language):
-I had the form translated (with certifcation) into target language, had that witnessed/executed with notary, and then translated back into english. A bit clunky but notaries and translators work together so it wasn't so hard.
-Just after I submitted our app, somehow out of consular bureaucracy at embassy sent me a version of the form in english and local language (columns) - it was clearly a "homemade" one with no letterhead or strict use of the format of the original form. Was too late for me to use but clearly they'd run into this before. If you can't find one, I expect a version made yourself with translator would be fine if the translator can provide certificate for that format - after all the one I got had clearly just been made on a regular computer.

Spanish language forums on Cdn immigration may have more country specific info, I think this notary-witnessing issue comes up in most spanish speaking countries (Spain being an exception, perhaps, as EU has some standard way to deal with this, I recall hearing)

Good luck.
Hi, your response helped me a lot and I’m in similar situation. My non accompanying parent is in Germany do you think the document will need to be translated before being notarized? (I’ve already sent your response to him and he’ll contact the embassy for further instructions)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, your response helped me a lot and I’m in similar situation. My non accompanying parent is in Germany do you think the document will need to be translated before being notarized? (I’ve already sent your response to him and he’ll contact the embassy for further instructions)
Basically you'll have to check first with a notary whether they can witness signing of an English language document. If they can just use the form.

If not, as I put above, yes, translated first.

If a dual language document is made i presume lawyer could witness signing that way.

Temidayo_

Dec 3, 2019
Basically you'll have to check first with a notary whether they can witness signing of an English language document. If they can just use the form.

If not, as I put above, yes, translated first.

If a dual language document is made i presume lawyer could witness signing that way.
Great. Many thanks will confirm and proceed as required

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for a very informative response. I will try to contact the embassy and see if they have a solution!

cheers!
It really is pretty hard to get anyone at the embassy, so depends how rushed you are.

We did translate text of form to english-russian and back and was accepted without any problem. Did cost a bit of extra money but notaries and translators aren't that expensive in Russia.

MELISA16

Sep 8, 2020
Good Day! Does anyone knows if the IMM5604 need to validate after completely filled-out.
After i completed the form, and validate it, nothing happens. Please help.