+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Form IMM 5533 page 1 first question

yuezhai

May 7, 2018
Hi all,

I'm working on IMM 5533 (03-2018) and I'm confused if i should pick yes or no in my situation.

Here it states, just above "Part A - Forms Required".
"Information About Previous Examination (to be completed by the sponsor):
The person I am sponsoring was declared as my spouse or partner and was already examined as a non-accompanying dependent when i applied for a permanent resident visa, and did not receive an immigrant visa. (Note: If you have never applied for a permanent resident visa, answer no.)"

What does this question ask about?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hi all,

I'm working on IMM 5533 (03-2018) and I'm confused if i should pick yes or no in my situation.

Here it states, just above "Part A - Forms Required".
The person I am sponsoring was declared as my spouse or partner and was already examined as a non-accompanying dependent when i applied for a permanent resident visa, and did not receive an immigrant visa. (Note: If you have never applied for a permanent resident visa, answer no.)"

What does this question ask about?
Non-accompanying family members

Family members who are dependent on the principal applicant but who are not immigrating to Canada. They include a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and the children of a dependent child.

These people must be listed on the principal applicant’s application for permanent residence. They should have a medical exam so they can remain eligible for sponsorship at a later date.

If the Principal Applicant excludes a Non-accompanying family member from their PR application, the accompanying dependant cannot be sponsored for PR in Canada in the future…

The PA is required to include their Accompanying and Non-accompanying dependents (only the spouse, children, and grand-children) in their PR application.

Refer Glossary for definition...

When the current Sponsor (i.e., person sponsoring their spouse today) earlier applied for PR in Canada, e.g., Express Entry, Provincial Nominee, etc………..they were the Principal Applicant in the PR in Canada application.........if the PA included their spouse as a dependant but indicated in their PR application that their spouse will be a Non-accompanying family member……..meaning the spouse will not land as a PR in Canada with the PA………and only the PA should be issued PR visa to land as PR in Canada.

This could happen for some reasons like, when some couples decide for some reasons like it’s better for the PA to land first and the spouse will move to join later, or the spouse should stay back outside Canada for family, business, children interest, etc.

Once the PA has landed as a PR to Canada, they could then sponsor their spouse for PR in Canada.
  1. If you have never applied for a PR visa………..answer “NO”.
  2. If you have earlier applied for a PR visa and included your spouse as an Accompanying dependent, certainly that Accompanying spouse would have received PR visa and cannot be the same spouse you are sponsoring today…………answer “NO”.
  3. If you were earlier sponsored by your spouse for PR visa, certainly you could not have indicated your spouse as a dependant since your spouse was the Sponsor in your earlier PR sponsorship application, and if you are sponsoring your new spouse or partner today…………answer “NO”.
  4. If you have earlier applied for a PR visa and included your spouse as a Non-accompanying dependent who did not receive a PR visa…………answer “YES”.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/family-member-declarations.558742/

Last edited:
Reactions: Taytum and iPunjabi

yuezhai

May 7, 2018
@Wakki Thank you. Now I have a better understanding about this.
I was sponsored by my ex years ago. And now I want to sponsor my current wife. In this case do I choose NO? Since my wife is not the same person when I was applying for my PR.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
@Wakki Thank you. Now I have a better understanding about this.
I was sponsored by my ex years ago. And now I want to sponsor my current wife. In this case do I choose NO? Since my wife is not the same person when I was applying for my PR.
Yes.....in your case you should choose "NO".

Since you were earlier sponsored by your spouse for PR visa, certainly you could not have indicated any spouse as a dependant since your spouse was the Sponsor in your earlier PR sponsorship application, and if you are sponsoring your new spouse or partner today, you should answer "NO".

NT2015

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Yes.....in your case you should choose "NO".

Since you were earlier sponsored by your spouse for PR visa, certainly you could not have indicated any spouse as a dependant since your spouse was the Sponsor in your earlier PR sponsorship application, and if you are sponsoring your new spouse or partner today, you should answer "NO".
I will sponsor my girlfriend after I marry her. When I applied for my PR, my status was single. This means my future wife is completely new and my first ever spouse i am going to sponsor. She never exists in my application before so she , of course, is not my accompany/ non-accompany spouse. I am going to put NO. IS that right ?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
I will sponsor my girlfriend after I marry her. When I applied for my PR, my status was single. This means my future wife is completely new and my first ever spouse i am going to sponsor. She never exists in my application before so she , of course, is not my accompany/ non-accompany spouse. I am going to put NO. IS that right ?
Yes, you are right........in your case....you should answer "NO".

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
If you have earlier applied for a PR visa and included your spouse as a Non-accompanying dependent who did not receive a PR visa…………answer “YES”.

In all other cases, you should answer "NO".

yonghwa

Jun 12, 2018
Non-accompanying family members

Family members who are dependent on the principal applicant but who are not immigrating to Canada. They include a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and the children of a dependent child.

These people must be listed on the principal applicant’s application for permanent residence. They should have a medical exam so they can remain eligible for sponsorship at a later date.

If the Principal Applicant excludes a Non-accompanying family member from their PR application, the accompanying dependant cannot be sponsored for PR in Canada in the future…

The PA is required to include their Accompanying and Non-accompanying dependents (only the spouse, children, and grand-children) in their PR application.

Refer Glossary for definition...

When the current Sponsor (i.e., person sponsoring their spouse today) earlier applied for PR in Canada, e.g., Express Entry, Provincial Nominee, etc………..they were the Principal Applicant in the PR in Canada application.........if the PA included their spouse as a dependant but indicated in their PR application that their spouse will be a Non-accompanying family member……..meaning the spouse will not land as a PR in Canada with the PA………and only the PA should be issued PR visa to land as PR in Canada.

This could happen for some reasons like, when some couples decide for some reasons like it’s better for the PA to land first and the spouse will move to join later, or the spouse should stay back outside Canada for family, business, children interest, etc.

Once the PA has landed as a PR to Canada, they could then sponsor their spouse for PR in Canada.
  1. If you have never applied for a PR visa………..answer “NO”.
  2. If you have earlier applied for a PR visa and included your spouse as an Accompanying dependent, certainly that Accompanying spouse would have received PR visa and cannot be the same spouse you are sponsoring today…………answer “NO”.
  3. If you were earlier sponsored by your spouse for PR visa, certainly you could not have indicated your spouse as a dependant since your spouse was the Sponsor in your earlier PR sponsorship application, and if you are sponsoring your new spouse or partner today…………answer “NO”.
  4. If you have earlier applied for a PR visa and included your spouse as a Non-accompanying dependent who did not receive a PR visa…………answer “YES”.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/family-member-declarations.558742/
hi! I still have confused on this question.in my case, I will sponsor my husband When This is my first time sponsor my spouse .But when he was young he have immigrant to Canada before with his family . they stay five years in Canada. but they back to Hong Kong and stay until now.
So I am going to put Yes ?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
hi! I still have confused on this question.in my case, I will sponsor my husband When This is my first time sponsor my spouse .But when he was young he have immigrant to Canada before with his family . they stay five years in Canada. but they back to Hong Kong and stay until now.
So I am going to put Yes ?

When your current spouse immigrated to Canada with his family........you were not included in the family application and neither did you sponsor your current spouse when the family came to Canada......and you did not include your spouse in any application when the family came to Canada.

If you (Sponsor) is a PR in Canada.......or a PR who is now a Citizen......you must have earlier applied to become a Permanent Resident (PR) in Canada and when you applied for PR............the Question....ask.....the person you are sponsoring (your current spouse or partner) in this your current sponsorship application, was the person you are sponsoring in this application declared as your non-accompanying dependent spouse or partner in your previous application for PR.

If you have never applied for a permanent resident visa OR never sponsored a spouse or partner OR previously sponsored but not this your current spouse or partner......answer "NO".

If you have earlier applied for a permanent resident visa and included your current spouse or partner and your current spouse or partner was already examined as a non-accompanying dependent.......answer "YES".

Mar 2, 2020
Sorry to bring this up again, but I have the following question:

Is PR Visa really just PR? Or does that refer to the visa you receive for landing?

I received PR as a protected person and I included my husband as a non-accompanying dependent at the time of my application. I want to sponsor him now and I'm wondering if I should answer Yes or No.

zhroc

Nov 14, 2021
Could someone please help - I married after being a PR, how do I answer this question? I've read through the posts above but didn't find the situation that fits me. Thanks!

GloryAlemseged

Star Member
Jun 16, 2023
my spouse applied for spousal PR application and withdrawn by ircc. and now we are applying for the second time. she did not include my name when she become PR. So,should we select yes or no?