App. Filed.......
Sept. 13, 2011
AOR Received.
Nov. 23, 2011
Med's Done....
June 14, 2011
Passport Req..
May 1, 2012
I've received my PPR, but haven't yet received my COPR. I'm getting ready to fill out my B4 and am wondering how exhaustive my list should be. For my clothes, do I just write "clothes" and then "no value"? Or should I write down every article of clothing I own and an estimate of how much they would cost for resale?

I plan to bring my tequila collection to Toronto. Does anyone have any experience with importing more than the maximum duty-free amount?

Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are no maximum duty-free amount for first time settlers to Canada.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
While that's true for most items, alcohol is one of the exceptions.

oreidapennsyltucky - take a look at the regulations at http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.pdf
"Alcoholic Beverages
49. Alcohol may qualify under tariff item No. 9807.00.00 as settler’s effects only if, the settler meets the minimum age requirements, these goods accompany the settler on arrival in Canada, and the quantity limits are not exceeded.
50. Settlers can include in their personal exemption, up to either 1.14 litres of alcohol or, 1.5 litres of wine or, a total of 1.14 litres of alcohol and wine.
51. The minimum legal ages for the importation of alcoholic beverages under the laws of the province or territory are:
(a) 18 years for Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec; and
(b) 19 years for Yukon, the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward"

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
While that's true for most items, alcohol is one of the exceptions.

oreidapennsyltucky said:
I plan to bring my tequila collection to Toronto. Does anyone have any experience with importing more than the maximum duty-free amount?
oreidapennsyltucky - take a look at the regulations at http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.pdf
"Alcoholic Beverages
49. Alcohol may qualify under tariff item No. 9807.00.00 as settler's effects only if, the settler meets the minimum age requirements, these goods accompany the settler on arrival in Canada, and the quantity limits are not exceeded.
50. Settlers can include in their personal exemption, up to either 1.14 litres of alcohol or, 1.5 litres of wine or, a total of 1.14 litres of alcohol and wine.
51. The minimum legal ages for the importation of alcoholic beverages under the laws of the province or territory are:
(a) 18 years for Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec; and
(b) 19 years for Yukon, the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward"

[quote author=oreidapennsyltucky]
I've received my PPR, but haven't yet received my COPR. I'm getting ready to fill out my B4 and am wondering how exhaustive my list should be. For my clothes, do I just write "clothes" and then "no value"? Or should I write down every article of clothing I own and an estimate of how much they would cost for resale? m[/quote]
For clothes, just estimate the value if you were to replace the goods today - say from a garage sale or something. You can group it all together to make your life easier if you're bringing it all in at once. Don't group it all together if you are bringing it in in different trips (group it by trip/shipment) or if the value is very large, then split it up into reasonable components.