+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Form B4 (Goods to Follow/Accompanying List): How to ???

kaisin82

Mar 20, 2011
Singapore
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-11-2011
Nomination.....
20-08-2011
AOR Received.
23-11-2011
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
N\A
Med's Request
06-03-2014
Med's Done....
14-03-2014
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
06-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Passport sent on 28-03-2014, VISA issued 16-06-2014
LANDED..........
Calgary here I come!!
i seriously need help here, hopefully someone here can help me.

I am flying from home country (Singapore) to do landing in Canada in November and will be staying there for a month, after I will be flying back to home country to bring some more stuffs over and to properly settle down

During this one month staying, i plan to visit the states for a week and return back to canada before I head back Singapore. I will return again in few months time.

my intentions as follows:

Week 1: canada
Week 2: canada
week 3: United states to visit
week 4 : canada

return back Singapore for a few months
back to canada to settle down

Is there any restriction on when the goods to follow can take place? it will be my 3rd entry into canada if that is the case, will there be any implications? anyone?

sherdills

Star Member
Oct 26, 2013
Abu Dhabi
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-12-2013
Doc's Request.
Completed
Nomination.....
Completed
AOR Received.
Recieved
IELTS Request
Submitted
File Transfer...
Completed
Med's Request
Completed
Med's Done....
05-08-2014
Interview........
not-required
Passport Req..
13-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2014
LANDED..........
01-04-2015
Very Informative.

rohanferns

Sep 11, 2012
Great post. Thanks So much!

I hope someone can help me with my small query. I got married outside Canada last year to my fiancee who is also a PR and living in Canada since the last 3 years. Now, I have finally got my family sponsorship application thru and will be making my first landing in Jan. I will not really be carrying anything in terms of migrating there other than my clothes, personal effects (tablet, mp3 player, camera etc) and stuff for my wife (clothes, chocolates, perfums etc). I will be in Canada only for 2 weeks before returning back to the Gulf. My plan to settle down in Canada and join my wife will only happen in 2016. Now, do I need to fill the BF forms "goods to follow" since I really have nothing with me while going? Or can that be given in 2016 when I finally make the move there?

kabayan

Apr 28, 2010
CANADA
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-20-2010
Doc's Request.
10-18-2010; 2nd(September 2014)
AOR Received.
1st 10-18-2010; 2nd(London VO) 06-16-2011
IELTS Request
10-29/30-2010
File Transfer...
May 2012
Med's Request
October 2014
Med's Done....
October 2014
Interview........
N/a
Passport Req..
21-Nov-2014 ADVO RCvD on 23-Nov-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
Jan 2015
rohanferns said:
Great post. Thanks So much!

I hope someone can help me with my small query. I got married outside Canada last year to my fiancee who is also a PR and living in Canada since the last 3 years. Now, I have finally got my family sponsorship application thru and will be making my first landing in Jan. I will not really be carrying anything in terms of migrating there other than my clothes, personal effects (tablet, mp3 player, camera etc) and stuff for my wife (clothes, chocolates, perfums etc). I will be in Canada only for 2 weeks before returning back to the Gulf. My plan to settle down in Canada and join my wife will only happen in 2016. Now, do I need to fill the BF forms "goods to follow" since I really have nothing with me while going? Or can that be given in 2016 when I finally make the move there?
From what I understand, if do not provide the Goods to follow form, if and when you bring in goods of value, you will already be taxed. I read this somewhere that a fellow forgot this form so when the stuff did arrived, he did pay taxes.

misag

Star Member
Oct 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24 April 2010
Doc's Request.
30 June 2010
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
17 Feb 2011
IELTS Request
Included with docs sent in Oct 2010
Med's Request
05/06/2014
Med's Done....
11/06/2014
Passport Req..
15/08/2014
VISA ISSUED...
Pending
LANDED..........
Pending
kabayan said:
From what I understand, if do not provide the Goods to follow form, if and when you bring in goods of value, you will already be taxed. I read this somewhere that a fellow forgot this form so when the stuff did arrived, he did pay taxes.
Kabayan, I have just been researching the very same issue and note that there is also an option to import personal effects duty free under the returning resident option. These are the conditions in the CBSA website

FORMER RESIDENT (tariff item No. 9805.00.00)
I hereby declare that I have read and qualify for the provisions of tariff itemNo. 9805.00.00 and that:

I have been a resident of another country for at least one year; or
I have been continuously absent from Canada for at least one year; and
I left Canada on (date); and
I returned to Canada to resume residence on (date).
With the exception of wedding gifts, alcoholic beverages and tobacco products or replacement goods described in theTariff Item No. 9805.00.00 Exemption Order, all household and personal effects imported or to be imported by me under this tariff item have been actually owned, possessed, and used abroad by me for at least six months prior to the date of my return to Canada to resume residence.
All goods imported are my personal or household effects and were not usedabroad for any commercial purpose nor will they be used in Canada for any commercial purpose.
If any item is sold or otherwise disposed of in Canada within 12 months of the date of its importation, I will notify a CBSA Office of such fact and pay al lduties owing at the time.

nilpesh1486

Aug 21, 2014
Thank you guys for all information. It helps a lot!

Here is my situation - Currently I'm residing in States And planning to go to Canada by Car in early next year to complete my landing process. I will be staying for a week in Canada and then come back to USA and then permanently going back to Canada after 6 months. my question is ....First time when I go by Car, Can i take 25% goods with me and later when i will move permanently, i will take remaining 75% goods. I will present both GAL and GFL to border during my first visit.

Only reason I am asking because for Settlers - there wont be any duty or tax for used personal items. but during my first visit i'm planning to stay only for week so not sure 25% good that i will be carrying me, do i need to pay any duty or tax..(there is none brand new item)?

Appreciate your help!

kabayan

Apr 28, 2010
CANADA
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-20-2010
Doc's Request.
10-18-2010; 2nd(September 2014)
AOR Received.
1st 10-18-2010; 2nd(London VO) 06-16-2011
IELTS Request
10-29/30-2010
File Transfer...
May 2012
Med's Request
October 2014
Med's Done....
October 2014
Interview........
N/a
Passport Req..
21-Nov-2014 ADVO RCvD on 23-Nov-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
Jan 2015
misag said:
Kabayan, I have just been researching the very same issue and note that there is also an option to import personal effects duty free under the returning resident option. These are the conditions in the CBSA website

FORMER RESIDENT (tariff item No. 9805.00.00)
I hereby declare that I have read and qualify for the provisions of tariff itemNo. 9805.00.00 and that:

I have been a resident of another country for at least one year; or
I have been continuously absent from Canada for at least one year; and
I left Canada on (date); and
I returned to Canada to resume residence on (date).
With the exception of wedding gifts, alcoholic beverages and tobacco products or replacement goods described in theTariff Item No. 9805.00.00 Exemption Order, all household and personal effects imported or to be imported by me under this tariff item have been actually owned, possessed, and used abroad by me for at least six months prior to the date of my return to Canada to resume residence.
All goods imported are my personal or household effects and were not usedabroad for any commercial purpose nor will they be used in Canada for any commercial purpose.
If any item is sold or otherwise disposed of in Canada within 12 months of the date of its importation, I will notify a CBSA Office of such fact and pay al lduties owing at the time.
I read this somewhere too. but did you see the maximum allowable amount to be imported this time around?

nilpesh1486

Aug 21, 2014
But to qualify for Former Resident.. you have to stay as Resident outside of Canada atleast 1 year....and i am planning to come back in 6 months, so not sure i would be qualify as Former Resident...

what do you think?

jaspal2710

Star Member
Aug 12, 2013
Muscat
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16 June (1st app), 2 Sept (second app)
Med's Request
24 dec (1st app). RPRF sent 28 Jan 2015
Med's Done....
27 Dec 14
Passport Req..
DM: 16.03.2015
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Dear Friends

many thanks for this excellent thread.

do i have to declare the cash i am going to bring from my home country / work country as well ?

i have some fixed deposits which i will keep in India where i get interest, which i intend to use for my initial settlement.

Also, someone told me you can transfer funds from your home country only one time ? is it true ? or i can keep transferring when i need it

many thanks

ashtanga

Dec 30, 2014
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice here, regarding the B4 form. I've read 20-30 pages so far, and have yet to find a definitive answer to my question, so I apologize if it's already been covered.

We are U.S. citizens, and I'll be applying for a 3 year work visa in BC Canada. We'll be flying in on Januay 5th, and will be bringing checked and carry-on luggage.

Around a week later, a shipping company will be bringing the rest of our belongings, including our vehicle.

I've prepared our B4 form as Qorax originally recommended and everything is neat and in order.

However, I'm unsure how the communication shall work between the B4 I've prepared to present to the CBSA at landing, and how the driver delivering our belongings shall present at entry.

Will I be required to meet the driver at his entry point, and show the original stamped B4 form I present to the border agent, or would an additional copy of the form work for his purposes of crossing the border?

Thank you in advance.

Brett

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jaspal2710 said:
Dear Friends

many thanks for this excellent thread.

do i have to declare the cash i am going to bring from my home country / work country as well ?

i have some fixed deposits which i will keep in India where i get interest, which i intend to use for my initial settlement.

Also, someone told me you can transfer funds from your home country only one time ? is it true ? or i can keep transferring when i need it

many thanks
Yes, you will have to declare if bringing $10,000 or more.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ttd-vdd-eng.html

You need to check with your home country whether or not you can export funds to another country once per year. I know some countries have monetary restriction policies.

rohanferns

Sep 11, 2012
Ok....I have another query in regards to the goods to follow lists. Thank you everyone who have helped with my earlier question.

Now, I have a huge collection of books that I will be taking with me to Canada down the line. I collect comic books and would like to take my collection with me when i finally move in 2016. They are not collectables by far, and really haven't appreciated in value thru the years. I also have a lot of work related books to bring. I have about 100 - 150 books related to my line of work. Do I have to list down every book or just jot down "various books" with a guesstimated price value?

Same question with clothes. Do i have to actually list down every individual item or just a lump sum?

Thanks again!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rohanferns said:
Ok....I have another query in regards to the goods to follow lists. Thank you everyone who have helped with my earlier question.

Now, I have a huge collection of books that I will be taking with me to Canada down the line. I collect comic books and would like to take my collection with me when i finally move in 2016. They are not collectables by far, and really haven't appreciated in value thru the years. I also have a lot of work related books to bring. I have about 100 - 150 books related to my line of work. Do I have to list down every book or just jot down "various books" with a guesstimated price value?

Same question with clothes. Do i have to actually list down every individual item or just a lump sum?

Thanks again!
Various books and estimate lump sum price value

shanchu

Jan 17, 2013
Hi All,

I hope someone can give me some advice here regarding the B4 form. I am a Canadian citizen (non-resident) and my husband will be a landed immigrant. When filling in the B4, do we have to fill in separately or together in one form? If we can fill out just one form, which box should be ticked in classification type? a former resident or a settler? Thank you very much for your help!