+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forgot to mention US tourist visa refusal on Study permit renewal (approved) and new TRV application (processing)

Pri47

Apr 22, 2020
Montréal
Hello,
2 weeks ago, I applied for my study permit renewal and my application got approved within a week. Yesterday night, I applied for my new TRV and right after, started working on my CO-OP work permit when I noticed I completely forgot to mention my US tourist visa refusal in section 2b of both the study permit and TRV forms. However, my first study permit, that I filed outside of Canada clearly had that details on it and I never tried to hide it.

So, without delaying one bit, I used the IRCC webform and created an enquiry under the "Replacement documents/Amendment to Documents" section along with a very detailed explanation in the enquiry section and uploaded an updated IMM 5257 form. I also sent an email to CPS-Ottawa with the same concern.

However, what's really stressing me out is, my study permit actually got approved with that accidental error on it and I don't know how to rectify that one. I informed IRCC of that error using the same webform but didn't upload the relevant form because that application has already been approved and processed.

I honestly don't know how bad I screwed up because there is no reason for me to withhold information and I didn't withhold it on my initial application and rectified in my co-op work permit application. I tried to amend it as soon as possible and even if the TRV turns out fine, what else can I do about the study permit?

I am really stressed and nervous. It's like 3 midterms amidst a pandemic wasn't enough, so I had to do something that could potentially ruin everything for me. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank You.

Jermy

Star Member
Aug 25, 2020
Hello,
2 weeks ago, I applied for my study permit renewal and my application got approved within a week. Yesterday night, I applied for my new TRV and right after, started working on my CO-OP work permit when I noticed I completely forgot to mention my US tourist visa refusal in section 2b of both the study permit and TRV forms. However, my first study permit, that I filed outside of Canada clearly had that details on it and I never tried to hide it.

So, without delaying one bit, I used the IRCC webform and created an enquiry under the "Replacement documents/Amendment to Documents" section along with a very detailed explanation in the enquiry section and uploaded an updated IMM 5257 form. I also sent an email to CPS-Ottawa with the same concern.

However, what's really stressing me out is, my study permit actually got approved with that accidental error on it and I don't know how to rectify that one. I informed IRCC of that error using the same webform but didn't upload the relevant form because that application has already been approved and processed.

I honestly don't know how bad I screwed up because there is no reason for me to withhold information and I didn't withhold it on my initial application and rectified in my co-op work permit application. I tried to amend it as soon as possible and even if the TRV turns out fine, what else can I do about the study permit?

I am really stressed and nervous. It's like 3 midterms amidst a pandemic wasn't enough, so I had to do something that could potentially ruin everything for me. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank You.
My brother got the same problem and after raising a webform for it was refused for withholding information. Fingers crossed it might go well for you because you sent a corrected copy which my brother never did. He only sent a letter of explanation.

Pri47

Apr 22, 2020
Montréal
My brother got the same problem and after raising a webform for it was refused for withholding information. Fingers crossed it might go well for you because you sent a corrected copy which my brother never did. He only sent a letter of explanation.
I am more scared of receiving a ban honestly. And honestly, what's bothering me more is the fact that they actually approved my study permit renewal with this error in it. I just hope they don't issue a ban. I did all I could as soon as I could have.

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
But he did not get approved like OP before the webform

Reactions: Pri47

Pri47

Apr 22, 2020
Montréal
But he did not get approved like OP before the webform
It took me 2 weeks to realize that my renewal application had an issue like that on it. I probably wouldn't have noticed I made that mistake if I weren't filing 2 more applications (one of which, hopefully is going to be sorted as it's only been one day since I applied and raised the webform enquiry).
I just hope they don't revoke the permit or worse, refuse my next SP renewal or PGWP in the future with maybe 4 months left on my degree.

That's why I actually let them know of this using the webform even though my permit was approved. Did I do the right thing or was that a mistake?

ayesha_llk2

Aug 11, 2020
It took me 2 weeks to realize that my renewal application had an issue like that on it. I probably wouldn't have noticed I made that mistake if I weren't filing 2 more applications (one of which, hopefully is going to be sorted as it's only been one day since I applied and raised the webform enquiry).
I just hope they don't revoke the permit or worse, refuse my next SP renewal or PGWP in the future with maybe 4 months left on my degree.

That's why I actually let them know of this using the webform even though my permit was approved. Did I do the right thing or was that a mistake?
I am not qualified to answer. But I do think that its impossible to hide information from IRCC. Even if u didnt mention the refusal they already knew about it. If it was an issue they would have refused your application. Maybe because your refusal was before your initial study permit and you did mention refusal then, maybe they let this pass under a typo/error ?

@jigzyy

Reactions: Pri47

Pri47

Apr 22, 2020
Montréal
I am not qualified to answer. But I do think that its impossible to hide information from IRCC. Even if u didnt mention the refusal they already knew about it. If it was an issue they would have refused your application. Maybe because your refusal was before your initial study permit and you did mention refusal then, maybe they let this pass under a typo/error ?

@jigzyy
I really hope that was the case. Because I never tried to hide it. It was clearly stated in my first form and my latest form. I am still really pissed at myself for overlooking something like this.

mom12

Mar 24, 2021
hi, plese need help. please help me i am very stressed right now,.
here is my timeline:
approval in principle on September 2020
received medical request on October 2020
Passport request on March 2021
Passport submitted for stamp on March 2021
and I received a message stating that i was not truthfully about my previous visa refusals, here below is the message which i received from them.
i had UK and US previous study visa refusal but i didn't mention on my Canada visa application form because my friend filled the application form for me.
This is in reference to your application for a Study permit to Canada (Student).

I have reviewed your application and documents you submitted in its support. Subsection 11(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act provides that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or any other document required by the Regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act.
I have reasonable grounds to believe that you have not fulfilled the requirement put upon you by section 16(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, which states:

16(1) a person who makes an application must answer truthfully all questions put to them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.
Specifically, you indicated “No” to:
Question 2 (b) of the application form (IMM 5257) which states; ‘Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?
However, it has been found that you have undeclared a previous refusal.
Please note that if it is found that you have engaged in misrepresentation in submitting your application for a temporary resident visa, you may be found to be inadmissible under section 40(1)(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. A finding of such inadmissibility would render you inadmissible to Canada for a period of five years according to section 40(2)(a):
40(1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation
(a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act
40(2) The following provisions govern subsection (1):
(a) the permanent resident or the foreign national continues to be inadmissible for misrepresentation for a period of five years following, in the case of a determination outside Canada, a final determination of inadmissibility under

I would like to give you an opportunity to respond to this information. I will afford you 15 days from the date of this letter to make any representations in this regard. If you do not respond to this request within the time outlined above, your application will be refused.
Please note: All documents must be accompanied by English or French translations. When original documents are requested, notarised documents are not acceptable.
Please note that we do not acknowledge the receipt of correspondence.
We will resume the processing of your application on receipt of the required documents or information.

vede

Feb 3, 2021
here is my timeline:
and I received a message stating that i was not truthfully about my previous visa refusals, here below is the message which i received from them.
i had UK and US previous study visa refusal but i didn't mention on my Canada visa application form because my friend filled the application form for me.
This is in reference to your application for a Study permit to Canada (Student).

I have reviewed your application and documents you submitted in its support. Subsection 11(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act provides that a foreign national must, before entering Canada, apply to an officer for a visa or any other document required by the Regulations. The visa or document shall be issued if, following an examination, the officer is satisfied that the foreign national is not inadmissible and meets the requirements of this Act.
I have reasonable grounds to believe that you have not fulfilled the requirement put upon you by section 16(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, which states:

16(1) a person who makes an application must answer truthfully all questions put to them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.
Question 2 (b) of the application form (IMM 5257) which states; ‘Have you ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?
Please note that if it is found that you have engaged in misrepresentation in submitting your application for a temporary resident visa, you may be found to be inadmissible under section 40(1)(a) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. A finding of such inadmissibility would render you inadmissible to Canada for a period of five years according to section 40(2)(a):
40(1) A permanent resident or a foreign national is inadmissible for misrepresentation
(a) for directly or indirectly misrepresenting or withholding material facts relating to a relevant matter that induces or could induce an error in the administration of this Act
(a) the permanent resident or the foreign national continues to be inadmissible for misrepresentation for a period of five years following, in the case of a determination outside Canada, a final determination of inadmissibility under

I would like to give you an opportunity to respond to this information. I will afford you 15 days from the date of this letter to make any representations in this regard. If you do not respond to this request within the time outlined above, your application will be refused.
Please note: All documents must be accompanied by English or French translations. When original documents are requested, notarised documents are not acceptable.
We will resume the processing of your application on receipt of the required documents or information.
I think you should consult a lawyer

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
here is my timeline:

What year was your UK visa refusal?
What year your US visa refusal?

Anyone applying for a visa/permit in Canada knows (or at least should know) how seriously Canada views withholding information like past visa refusals. How come your friend completed your forms without asking you for such important information? I personally find this hard to believe. And the VO will not accept your excuse under any circumstance.

Hire a lawyer if you like, but I don't see how you can avoid the 5 year ban. This is such an unfortunate situation for you?

Pri47

Apr 22, 2020
Montréal
here is my timeline:

It doesn't matter who filled your application, you are held responsible for your submitted applications.

I honestly don't see how you can avoid the refusal and potential ban because not mentioning two whole study permit refusals from 2 countries is an obvious act of witholding information. Write a letter stating why you forgot to mention the refusals ("I forgot/friend did it" doesn't really work and you need to show a valid cause). See if you can convince the officer to atleast not issue you a 5 years ban.

Ris411

Star Member
Jul 12, 2018
here is my timeline:

Let me know what happened with your application Is it approved or denied

itspossible9

Feb 17, 2021
It was just refused or he was banned?

hhhh2022

Jan 6, 2022
Hello,

Hi I wonder did you get the reply from the webform for your approved application?