+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

foreign worker on closed W1 .

Dec 2, 2019
Hi ,

I am an Indian resident working on a closed work permit in Canada . My Indian employer sent me to Canada to work temporarily on a project and now i have been asked to return to India as the project is over.

I have valid closed work permit and a valid Canadian working visa till august 2021 . Problem is that i do not want to leave the country now but not sure how do i tackle this. i mean what should be my next step so that i can remain here or come back soon ... is it possible if i apply for some Canadian jobs on my existing visa and get another open work permit from the new employer and come back here?? or any other way out . Kindly advise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi ,

I am an Indian resident working on a closed work permit in Canada . My Indian employer sent me to Canada to work temporarily on a project and now i have been asked to return to India as the project is over.

I have valid closed work permit and a valid Canadian working visa till august 2021 . Problem is that i do not want to leave the country now but not sure how do i tackle this. i mean what should be my next step so that i can remain here or come back soon ... is it possible if i apply for some Canadian jobs on my existing visa and get another open work permit from the new employer and come back here?? or any other way out . Kindly advise.
You can remain in Canada legally as a visitor until your closed work permit expires. You do not qualify for an open work permit. And no - it is not possible to work for a different employer on your existing visa. If you want to work for another employer - you need a new closed work permit. To obtain a new closed work permit, you need a job offer and approved LMIA from your new employers.

Dec 2, 2019
You can remain in Canada legally as a visitor until your closed work permit expires. You do not qualify for an open work permit. And no - it is not possible to work for a different employer on your existing visa. If you want to work for another employer - you need a new closed work permit. To obtain a new closed work permit, you need a job offer and approved LMIA from your new employers.
Thanks for the response . On that note i have another question... can i go back home and re-enter Canada on this work permit as a visitor ?