+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign passport renewal issue

oldfriend

Star Member
Mar 26, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello dear members ,
I have a question regarding passport renewal.
If the passport of a citizenship applicant was expired a while before starting the application for citizenship and the applicant (for any reason)didn't renew his passport? How does this issue affect the application, and is there any chance of refusing it? Notice that this passport is the only one which the applicant have and which he used to enter Canada as an Immigrant.
Please advise and share any experience in this regard. Thanks

annoying001

Jun 21, 2015
oldfriend said:
Hello dear members ,
If the passport of a citizenship applicant was expired a while before starting the application for citizenship and the applicant (for any reason)didn't renew his passport? How does this issue affect the application, and is there any chance of refusing it? Notice that this passport is the only one which the applicant have and which he used to enter Canada as an Immigrant.
I don't think it will affect your application. You get it renewed and bring both old and new passport to your oath, just in case of if anyone wants to look at your old passport which is highly unlikely (CIC has already identified you in multiple ways, you may be asked to show your landing paper and you have to surrender your PR card which doesn't matter it's still valid or expired--- this is your main ID relate to your application).

Valhalla

Star Member
May 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May/12/2011
LANDED..........
AUG/23/2012
oldfriend said:
Hello dear members ,

Hello oldfriend

My passport expired way before i sent my citizenship application in and as of today i have not renewed it yet.
I sent application in March 2015 and eCAS shows "Decision Made" since a week ago.

Now, i dont think its such a big deal but that will be so up to the officer holding your application at the time of interview right after the test, in my case, buddy DID ask me "WHY IS IT BEEN EXPIRED??" and my answer was "Because i dont need it" (simple yet truthful) and for the stories i've heard around here, some officer are just a**holes, but not this guy, he was chill and cool, laughing and such a great guy.

What im saying is, it is NOT a big deal having an expired passport, but they will definitely ask the reason (they might believe you have another passport with more stamps and you dont wanna show it up) but it all depends on the officer is interviewing you.

oldfriend

Star Member
Mar 26, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you annoying001 for the reply.
The concern is about that they require the passport to cover all the 6 years period before the application and renewing the passport will take a long time in this case.

oldfriend

Star Member
Mar 26, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Valhalla and congratulation for your Citizenship granting.

Yes as you said , it all depend on the officer who will take the file. Lets hope for smooth processing.
In this case the renewal of the passport will take a long time since it should be made in the home country through the embassy.

Valhalla

Star Member
May 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May/12/2011
LANDED..........
AUG/23/2012
oldfriend said:
Thank you Valhalla and congratulation for your Citizenship granting.

Yes as you said , it all depend on the officer who will take the file. Lets hope for smooth processing.
In this case the renewal of the passport will take a long time since it should be made in the home country through the embassy.

Wow! not so fast my friend, im standing only with Decision Made right now, not a Canadian citizen yet, just wrote the test and waiting for oath...

Good luck with the passport thing, hopefully it all goes smooth for you.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A passport is a travel document, so if you don't travel, you don't need it.

It's not CIC business why your Passport is expired and more over, the fact of not having a valid passport helps you to demonstrate that you stayed in Canada.

Valhalla

Star Member
May 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May/12/2011
LANDED..........
AUG/23/2012
neutral said:
A passport is a travel document, so if you don't travel, you don't need it.

It's not CIC business why your Passport is expired and more over, the fact of not having a valid passport helps you to demonstrate that you stayed in Canada.
Not necessarily, many people hides the fact that they have a new passport with a few stamps from the times they left the country in order to be able to apply for citizenship earlier than when they're supposed to, it is also CIC business to make sure the applicant is not lying in their application (like some have done so) and to make sure we all meet the residency requirements and we are not cheating the system (like some have done so too).

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Valhalla said:
Not necessarily, many people hides the fact that they have a new passport with a few stamps from the times they left the country in order to be able to apply for citizenship earlier than when they're supposed to, it is also CIC business to make sure the applicant is not lying in their application (like some have done so) and to make sure we all meet the residency requirements and we are not cheating the system (like some have done so too).
I don't get it at all. If you get a new passport and left the country ... someday you are coming back so your entry will be registered , then I don't see how hiding your new passport could help cheating. If you don't want to show it you can just say that you lost it anyway.

Valhalla

Star Member
May 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May/12/2011
LANDED..........
AUG/23/2012
neutral said:
I don't get it at all. If you get a new passport and left the country ... someday you are coming back so your entry will be registered , then I don't see how hiding your new passport could help cheating. If you don't want to show it you can just say that you lost it anyway.

Well you dont have to get it, you just need to know that some people used and maybe still do to cheat the system, thats one of the reasons the rest of us have to wait long periods of time in order for immigration officers make sure we are legit...

And sorry for breaking your pink-color bubble and open your eyes into the real world, but yes, some people have cheated the system that way (or at least tried, they get cough someday somehow like you said)

amissa

Star Member
Aug 28, 2010
Valhalla said:
Hello oldfriend

My passport expired way before i sent my citizenship application in and as of today i have not renewed it yet.
I sent application in March 2015 and eCAS shows "Decision Made" since a week ago.

Now, i dont think its such a big deal but that will be so up to the officer holding your application at the time of interview right after the test, in my case, buddy DID ask me "WHY IS IT BEEN EXPIRED??" and my answer was "Because i dont need it" (simple yet truthful) and for the stories i've heard around here, some officer are just a**holes, but not this guy, he was chill and cool, laughing and such a great guy.

What im saying is, it is NOT a big deal having an expired passport, but they will definitely ask the reason (they might believe you have another passport with more stamps and you dont wanna show it up) but it all depends on the officer is interviewing you.
I second this point as it was exactly my case and I gave the same reply. I have now my canadian passport.
In another hand my friend was not able to show her passport during the interview ( it was lost by Montreal US consulate) and had receive her oath invite
The important thing with CIC or any administration office is to be honest and don't try to hide anything ( of course you don't have to divulgue something which could hurt you if you are not asked).
Good luck on your application !

plus

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Expired passport should not matter as long as you have the passports that cover the period that you are claiming your presence in Canada. Passport is needed to verify stamps of entry and exits, so IMO expired or active does not matter.
Hope this helps
Plus
oldfriend said:
Hello dear members ,

oldfriend

Star Member
Mar 26, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks to all who shared his/her experience about this issue.
My concern is that the application could be returned if the citizenship officer found that the expired passport doesn't cover the entire stated period of time. I will be eligible to apply for citizenship and send my application to CPC Sydney after about 6 months of my passport expiration date. I read here in this forum about cases where the application was returned back to the applicant because the passport was expired and didn't cover the whole period of residency. Some members suggested to write a letter explaining the reason why the passport was not renewed, declaring that the applicant doesn't posses any other passport or travel document and attach the letter along with the application with a hope that this can prevent the application from being returned.
I and my family (all adults) have our passports issued and expired in the same date and I need to know whether each of us should write the explanation letter or one letter for all of us will be sufficient if we intend to send a family application. Should this letter be signed or not

annoying001

Jun 21, 2015
oldfriend said:
Thanks to all who shared his/her experience about this issue.
My concern is that the application could be returned if the citizenship officer found that the expired passport doesn't cover the entire stated period of time. I will be eligible to apply for citizenship and send my application to CPC Sydney after about 6 months of my passport expiration date. I read here in this forum about cases where the application was returned back to the applicant because the passport was expired and didn't cover the whole period of residency. Some members suggested to write a letter explaining the reason why the passport was not renewed, declaring that the applicant doesn't posses any other passport or travel document and attach the letter along with the application with a hope that this can prevent the application from being returned.
I and my family (all adults) have our passports issued and expired in the same date and I need to know whether each of us should write the explanation letter or one letter for all of us will be sufficient if we intend to send a family application. Should this letter be signed or not
Frankly, let's cut the crap, just go to renew your passports no matter they are expired or not. Why bother? Why not?

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
You don't need to renew your passport. My wife's passport had expired so she no valid travel document for part of the residency period and it didn't cause any problems. The only time you have a problem is if CIC think you are hiding a passport.