+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign marriage certificate - any registering necessary in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I know I’m jumping an old thread but really want to know if anyone submitted the semi authentic marriage certificate to immigration and did they consider it valid? I wouldn’t want my file to be returned. I’m looking for anyone who HAS gone through it. Tia
Your marriage certificate is either authentic or not. CIC wants proof of the registered marriage from the country where you got married. You can include any religious registration on top of that.

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Your marriage certificate is either authentic or not. CIC wants proof of the registered marriage from the country where you got married. You can include any religious registration on top of that.
Thank you. The website asks for a valid certificate. That certificate is valid since issued by the Directeur de l’Etat civil. I gave the original so I hope it will be written that it was registered in the country we got married. But as I said was asking to know if someone HAD this experience, not asking what the CIC website says.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you. The website asks for a valid certificate. That certificate is valid since issued by the Directeur de l’Etat civil. I gave the original so I hope it will be written that it was registered in the country we got married. But as I said was asking to know if someone HAD this experience, not asking what the CIC website says.
You asked about submitting a "semi authentic" certificate. As canuck78 said, a certificate is either authentic or not. There is no "semi".

What exactly are you trying to ask?

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
A document from the directeur de l’état civil is a valid document. It says semi-authentic not because it’s not valid but because it was registered in California. I just wanted to know if anyone had registered their foreign marriage in Quebec and given the copy from directeur de l’état civil. That’s why I specify that I was looking for someone who has done it, not opinions about it. The semi authentic certificate is a genuine and valid certificate. I just want to see if someone provided it

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
A document from the directeur de l’état civil is a valid document. It says semi-authentic not because it’s not valid but because it was registered in California. I just wanted to know if anyone had registered their foreign marriage in Quebec and given the copy from directeur de l’état civil. That’s why I specify that I was looking for someone who has done it, not opinions about it. The semi authentic certificate is a genuine and valid certificate. I just want to see if someone provided it
Did you not send a copy of your actual marriage certificate from the US?

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
I haven’t send the application yet. The actual marriage certificate was given to the Directeur de l’état civil. I’m waiting to receive that certificate. I’m assuming it show where the marriage was registered. Anyway if no one submitted the same, I’ll see what I’ll do when I see the certificate.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I haven’t send the application yet. The actual marriage certificate was given to the Directeur de l’état civil. I’m waiting to receive that certificate. I’m assuming it show where the marriage was registered. Anyway if no one submitted the same, I’ll see what I’ll do when I see the certificate.
You need to send the copy of the actual marriage certificate. The Quebec registration is NOT a marriage certificate. IRCC doesn't care if you registered your marriage in Quebec or not.

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Thanks, that’s not what I’m asking nor am I asking you a question directly. Also not asking you what IRCC cares about. I got your point so you can rest.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks, that’s not what I’m asking nor am I asking you a question directly. Also not asking you what IRCC cares about. I got your point so you can rest.
You asked about submitting a document that is not even required and doesn't mean anything for the app. I'm just trying to make sure you submit the correct documents for your app so that it isn't returned. But never mind...

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
I et where you’re coming from but I was just asking if someone have provided this instead. And when I do, I always get someone replying “But why would you even want to do that?” Anyway, I have a copy of the original but it shows a different address (outside of the country) than my current address. I wanted to get the one from the directeur de l’état civil as it doesn’t show spouses addresses but in the end I won’t as I contacted them this morning and they confirm the certificate indicates where the marriage took place but doesn’t mention the county in California where it was registered. They had not process it and agreed to refund the fees.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I et where you’re coming from but I was just asking if someone have provided this instead. And when I do, I always get someone replying “But why would you even want to do that?” Anyway, I have a copy of the original but it shows a different address (outside of the country) than my current address. I wanted to get the one from the directeur de l’état civil as it doesn’t show spouses addresses but in the end I won’t as I contacted them this morning and they confirm the certificate indicates where the marriage took place but doesn’t mention the county in California where it was registered. They had not process it and agreed to refund the fees.
You got that response because you can't provide it instead. It isn't a marriage certificate. You aren't required to continue living at the address listed on your marriage certificate, so that doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
ok thanks. ill provide the original. i thought maybe they think im currently living there and it would delay the application.