+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign Lawyer wanting to immigrate to Canada - Question related to what to put in my EE application

Mark Anton

Nov 10, 2021
Hello all users,

I'm a lawyer in Brazil with more than 5 years of experience. I have a good EE profile, counting 472 points (already mastered IELTS, education assessments, I have the proper age, etc.).

Anyway, I know I can describe my work history as a lawyer, but in the beginning of the Work History section in the Express Entry profile I must tell the officers what is my intended job to base my application on. Well, I choose to put "lawyer and Quebec notaries" (NOC 4112) to base my whole application on.

My question is: I know I can't be a lawyer in Canada yet, since there are other requirements, but can I base my immigration profile on this, or should I put something else, like a paralegal? Something that I can actually land in Canada and work. I really don't know exactly what they want to know... I'm afraid of leaving as a "Lawyer" they will deny me because I can't be a lawyer yet. I don't know how it works...

Can someone enlighten me?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello all users,

I'm a lawyer in Brazil with more than 5 years of experience. I have a good EE profile, counting 472 points (already mastered IELTS, education assessments, I have the proper age, etc.).

Anyway, I know I can describe my work history as a lawyer, but in the beginning of the Work History section in the Express Entry profile I must tell the officers what is my intended job to base my application on. Well, I choose to put "lawyer and Quebec notaries" (NOC 4112) to base my whole application on.

My question is: I know I can't be a lawyer in Canada yet, since there are other requirements, but can I base my immigration profile on this, or should I put something else, like a paralegal? Something that I can actually land in Canada and work. I really don't know exactly what they want to know... I'm afraid of leaving as a "Lawyer" they will deny me because I can't be a lawyer yet. I don't know how it works...

Can someone enlighten me?
You use the NOC that matches your work experience/employment letter. So you use 4112 and it will not stop you from getting an invitation to immigrate. You can do whatever job you want when you immigrate to Canada.

Mark Anton

Nov 10, 2021
You use the NOC that matches your work experience/employment letter. So you use 4112 and it will not stop you from getting an invitation to immigrate. You can do whatever job you want when you immigrate to Canada.
Hmm, so there's no problem at all with the fact that I can't be a lawyer when I land in Canada (kuz I would have to go after other requirements). I can simply point the job I'm most related to, in that case, will be a lawyer (since in Brazil I'm a lawyer). Right?

DogNotTheHot

Oct 14, 2021
Hi Mark. Yes, it does not matter. I did the same for my lawyer profile and my consultant said that's something very usual. They're analysing your experience and work background only.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hmm, so there's no problem at all with the fact that I can't be a lawyer when I land in Canada (kuz I would have to go after other requirements). I can simply point the job I'm most related to, in that case, will be a lawyer (since in Brazil I'm a lawyer). Right?
No Issue at all. Your job must match the NOC even if it is a licensed profession.