+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign Internship for CRS score

raisingsun

Jul 9, 2020
I'm a little bit confused about the foreign work experience. Here is my information:
  1. I have been working in Canada for 1.5 years. (So I have reach the requirements of CEC)
  2. I had two fulltime internship experiences outside of Canada in 2017.
    • I have gained these experiences during my full-time study in master-degree (but irelevant with any school programs).
    • Both of them are paid software engineer (Match the A type of work)
    • Summing them up will get a 15 months experiences(37.5 hours per week, one is 3 months and another is almost 12 months).
Could I use these internship experiences as "foreign work experience" in CRS to gain my score?

Thanks!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
That's weird that internship experience in Canada can not be counted, but overseas can
The point of a study permit is for the holder to study, not work. Work is allowed so the student can support their studies and get their toe in the door of the Canadian labour market, but it's not meant to be a way around getting a normal work permit if someone's primary objective in Canada is to work.

If student work experience could be counted for PR, there would be no incentive against bogus "students" coming to work illegally with no intention of studying, which is already enough of an issue.

raisingsun

Jul 9, 2020
The point of a study permit is for the holder to study, not work. Work is allowed so the student can support their studies and get their toe in the door of the Canadian labour market, but it's not meant to be a way around getting a normal work permit if someone's primary objective in Canada is to work.

If student work experience could be counted for PR, there would be no incentive against bogus "students" coming to work illegally with no intention of studying, which is already enough of an issue.
Make perfect sense. Thanks a lot for your explaination! So the experiences is not neccessary to be continuous, right? Can be in different employers and different time periods?

ValGonzal

Star Member
May 29, 2021
Assuming you were paid, yes.
Prima, in this case, if the internship of our friend , Raisingsun here , was not continuous and ws broken down in lets say chunks of 4 to 5 months of internship (all during schooling and not part of shooling), would it still provide additional crs points? Please do give insights

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Prima, in this case, if the internship of our friend , Raisingsun here , was not continuous and ws broken down in lets say chunks of 4 to 5 months of internship (all during schooling and not part of shooling), would it still provide additional crs points? Please do give insights
So do you have one year continuous skilled experience in one NOC. If you do, after that you can include the work experience as long as paid and you have proof of employment. Assume this is for FSW.

ValGonzal

Star Member
May 29, 2021
S
So do you have one year continuous skilled experience in one NOC. If you do, after that you can include the work experience as long as paid and you have proof of employment. Assume this is for FSW.
So raisingsun could still get additional crs points for his internship which was non continuous and paid?