+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign driver experience invalid with Ontario photo card?

dinneratjoes

Dec 17, 2020
So I just took my G1 knowledge test and provided my Indian license and drivers extract. However the agent said that because I held an Ontario Photo ID, I could not add my foreign experience to the G1. Has anyone else been in a situation like this? It makes zero sense that just because I have a photo ID my driving experience can't be accounted for.

Really appreciate any help or advice.

Reactions: Idrissrafd

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
So I just took my G1 knowledge test and provided my Indian license and drivers extract. However the agent said that because I held an Ontario Photo ID, I could not add my foreign experience to the G1. Has anyone else been in a situation like this? It makes zero sense that just because I have a photo ID my driving experience can't be accounted for.

Really appreciate any help or advice.
Wth ‍! are you serious ?!! I just got an Ontario photo card and it’s just supposed to replace a driver’s license not to cancel all past experience. He’s talking nonsense. When we get a driver’s licence, the Ontario photo card is cancelled, that’s it.

I am pretty sure he’s talking nonsense.

If you have an Ontario Photo Card and apply for a driver’s licence, you must turn in your Ontario Photo Card as part of the application process and it will be cancelled. If you wish to re-apply for your Ontario driver’s licence, you may be subject to all tests and wait periods.
I don’t understand this part.
EDIT : ok, my wife explained me this weird system if someone doesn’t renew his driver’s license.

Last edited:

dinneratjoes

Dec 17, 2020
Wth ‍! are you serious ?!! I just got an Ontario photo card and it’s just supposed to replace a driver’s license not to cancel all past experience. He’s talking nonsense. When we get a driver’s licence, the Ontario photo card is cancelled, that’s it.

EDIT : ok, my wife explained me this weird system if someone doesn’t renew his driver’s license.
Yes i was under the assumption that the cancellation was of an Ontario driver's license. Not a foreign one. :(

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes i was under the assumption that the cancellation was of an Ontario driver's license. Not a foreign one. :(
I do not know how this relates to your foreign experience and adding it.

But it's right in the instructions that you cannot hold a foreign drivers license at the same time.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-photo-card

"An Ontario Photo Card and a driver’s licence or a photo ID card from Ontario or another province, state or country cannot be held at the same time. If you have a driver’s licence or a photo ID card from Ontario or any other province, state or country, you must turn in your existing licence or ID when applying for an Ontario Photo Card. "

Now obviously they can't force you to turn that other card in. But they can consider you holding the other to be invalid within Ontario.

How long did you have the Ontario photo card?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I just got mine today. Should I cancel it immediately ?
I honestly don't know in your case - if you just got it perhaps there's something can be done, don't know.

The other poster seems to have got it some time ago though and would guess (repeat, only a guess) that it will be a bigger problem.

Note, I don't have an opinion on this beyond the fact the policy is pretty clear when applying for an Ontario Photo Card, you can't keep another driver's license. (Members of my family applied for and got and were asked more than once each if they had driver's licenses - and it's on the forms I believe.)

dinneratjoes

Dec 17, 2020
Note, I don't have an opinion on this beyond the fact the policy is pretty clear when applying for an Ontario Photo Card, you can't keep another driver's license. (Members of my family applied for and got and were asked more than once each if they had driver's licenses - and it's on the forms I believe.)
That's right, I was asked if I had an Ontario driver's license. I mentioned I had a foreign one but was not told the experience would not be added in. My mistake I guess. No choice but to wait it out. TTC here I come :D

In reply to your previous question: I had my photo ID for 6 months as I needed it urgently for my PR application.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That's right, I was asked if I had an Ontario driver's license. I mentioned I had a foreign one but was not told the experience would not be added in. My mistake I guess. No choice but to wait it out. TTC here I come :D
Yes, unfortunately Ontario is quite strict both about what types of foreign experience it accepts, and that it requires anyone becoming resident in the province too basically transfer/become licensed drivers locally within a limited period of time.

So there's very little leeway to delay becoming a licensed driver (and by extension the photo card, which is a whole other historical mess, like why does a photo card have to be linked to the concept of a driver's license anyway?). Granted the primary 'stick' there is making you do extra tests (which used to be less of a big deal, too), and to a lesser extent the insurance issues (bad enough for those coming from abroad, wno mostly are treated like they're new drivers).

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020

In reply to your previous question: I had my photo ID for 6 months as I needed it urgently for my PR application.
Exactly. They asked me if I have a Canadian driver’s licence.

But now I understand why the lady indirectly told me not to get the Ontario photo ID. She told me « why don’t you take the driver’s license test ? » like don’t apply for this Ontario photo ID lool

Reactions: dinneratjoes

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

But now I understand why the lady indirectly told me not to get the Ontario photo ID. She told me « why don’t you take the driver’s license test ? » like don’t apply for this Ontario photo ID lool
Yes, it should be clear: it really is meant ONLY as a form of ID for adults who do not have a driver's license - at all.

(It used to be known as the age of majority card - meaning you could drink - back when it was assumed that every adult could of course drive. And of course when drinking was considered a major danger to public morals in a very puritanical province, and must therefore be guarded carefully.)

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022

So what did you end up doing ?

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022

Hey so in the form to get photo card of Ontario you must have signed you don’t have any other form of license , is it not misrepresentation from a PR standpoint ?

Ketobaby

Star Member
Feb 2, 2022
Late to this but no the Ontario photo card does not cancel foreign license experience. My mom got photo card application on/about Dec 15th and took the G1 on/about Dec 22nd and she was able to get credit for her foreign experience. We told the person that attended to us for her G1 at the office that we also applied for Ontario photo card and she confirmed she could see the application is in progress. Since we did not yet receive the physical card and there was no way to stop the application we had to sign a form that states we never turned it in and we are aware that we cannot hold both (DL and photo card) and we are acknowledging to destroy the photo card as soon as we get it.
My mom got her G on Jan 17th. So I recommend you do ask another location or customer care if available.

Ketobaby

Star Member
Feb 2, 2022

It silly to apply for the photo ID if you intend driving. It's a waste of money and I think that's why she advice you just take the damn test instead. Not because the photo ID cancels foreign experience, that sounds like BS and I recommend you don't accept it, go to a different location.