+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

For those of us with expiring COPRs, will we be allowed to wait till all travel restrictions are lifted before entering Canada?

ARookie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
Hi everyone,

It seems that the bar for entry and COPR extension is quite high right now - all those proof of settlement plus compelling reasons. So I was just wondering, has anybody asked IRCC if it is OK for us to just wait till all travel restrictions are lifted? If so, what replies did you get? Logically that sounds true but I am a bit worried if that would be considered too long after COPR expiration by IRCC.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ARookie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
?

unable to understand your question.
Do you know we need to provide documentary proof for long-term settlement and compelling reasons for travelling, and that entering Canada just for the purpose of activating PR is prohibited right now? Even though some lucky folks may have gotten in without extensive documentation, I prefer not to take that risk. Hence the question if we will be allowed to just wait till all restrictions are lifted and extend our COPR then.

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
we will be allowed to just wait till all restrictions are lifted and extend our COPR then.
thats the process in place right now. if you cannot travel you are required to inform CiC. however expect the process to be quite lengthy and time consuming once they start reissuing all the expired COPRs.

Do you know we need to provide documentary proof for long-term settlement and compelling reasons for travelling, and that entering Canada just for the purpose of activating PR is prohibited right now?
they aren't asking any additional documentary proof right now different from what was being asked earlier. if you are not impacted by the travel restrictions, you are free to complete your landing with a valid COPR.

ARookie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
thats the process in place right now. if you cannot travel you are required to inform CiC. however expect the process to be quite lengthy and time consuming once they start reissuing all the expired COPRs.

they aren't asking any additional documentary proof right now different from what was being asked earlier. if you are not impacted by the travel restrictions, you are free to complete your landing with a valid COPR.
Thanks a lot!

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020

I think this is slightly incorrect, based on my understanding. The guidelines here say: "[you must be] be coming to Canada to settle permanently (you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary)".

Now, in my experience, they are not asking any questions related to that -- and the worst they'll do is turn you away when you show up at the border if they think that's what's happening. But I'm one person and I only had one experience.

So you are absolutely free to come and land, but be careful - if they think you are just doing a soft landing, they may turn you away. Ultimately, it's up to the border guard's discretion. Once you are a PR, you can come and go as you like, even with COVID, so long as you quarantine upon return.

If you do choose to come, I recommend you be sure you have a truthful and clear answer to the question "Are you coming to Canada to settle permanently, or will you continue living in your country of origin for now?" just in case you are asked.

ARookie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
I think this is slightly incorrect, based on my understanding. The guidelines here say: "[you must be] be coming to Canada to settle permanently (you cannot come to Canada and leave to go live in another country, even if it’s temporary)".

Now, in my experience, they are not asking any questions related to that -- and the worst they'll do is turn you away when you show up at the border if they think that's what's happening. But I'm one person and I only had one experience.

So you are absolutely free to come and land, but be careful - if they think you are just doing a soft landing, they may turn you away. Ultimately, it's up to the border guard's discretion. Once you are a PR, you can come and go as you like, even with COVID, so long as you quarantine upon return.

If you do choose to come, I recommend you be sure you have a truthful and clear answer to the question "Are you coming to Canada to settle permanently, or will you continue living in your country of origin for now?" just in case you are asked.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was worried about. That's why I want to find out if I can just let my COPR expire for now and wait till all travel restrictions are lifted before reactivating it.

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
Yeah, that's exactly what I was worried about. That's why I want to find out if I can just let my COPR expire for now and wait till all travel restrictions are lifted before reactivating it.
I would not wait and let it expire - I would contact IRCC now and tell them you can't travel, and request an extension. That's the safest thing to do. Second safest, in my opinion, would be to land (provided you are honest).

ARookie

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
I would not wait and let it expire - I would contact IRCC now and tell them you can't travel, and request an extension. That's the safest thing to do. Second safest, in my opinion, would be to land (provided you are honest).
I already contacted them to request an extension and got the standard answer - let it expire and do not contact us unless you are ready to travel.

Reactions: computer_leprechaun

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017

oh I think my response was slightly misleading. soft landings are completely restricted as of now. I was only referring to the OPs concern about extra documentation for landing. in respect to which I said that he could complete his landing if he met the exemptions and had valid documentation.

Reactions: computer_leprechaun