+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

For all in good jobs- Please think before landing

can_uk

May 8, 2011
Dear all,

Just a word of caution -

Those who are doing well in U.K. gulf and other countries please do not leave your job PERMANENTLY and land in Canada.If possible come here for a month or so on your annual leave and look for yourself (if it's worth taking a risk).It is a very costly country as compared to London,U.K or gulf and you will see that the amount of money which you will bring will get wiped out before one year.

I am in no way trying to influence your decisions just a word of CAUTION.

Best Wishes

iloveYou!

Star Member
Mar 14, 2011
can_uk said:
Dear all,

Just a word of caution -

Those who are doing well in U.K. gulf and other countries please do not leave your job PERMANENTLY and land in Canada.If possible come here for a month or so on your annual leave and look for yourself (if it's worth taking a risk).It is a very costly country as compared to London,U.K or gulf and you will see that the amount of money which you will bring will get wiped out before one year.

Best Wishes
can you honestly tell us what has happened in your case. what was your job in uk? what you experienced in canada?

thanks

maxo

Star Member
Dec 29, 2008
can_uk said:
Dear all,

Just a word of caution -

Best Wishes

Dear Can_uk

I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
can_uk said:
Dear all,

Just a word of caution -

Best Wishes
What's with the thought that "Immigrating isn't about Jobs -- it's about Change of Lifestyle - making a New Home - Securing the Future of our Kids & the future Generations" ?

Qorax

Ps.:
1. No one said that the start will be a bed of roses;
2. No one suggested that there'd be jobs on a platter;
3. No one denies the fact that u'd be treading the 'unknown';
4. Everyone knows that new land makes u a 'nobody' -- we need fresh 'orientation' & determination to succeed
5. Every first-time immigrant faces [immense] challenges - it's the future generations of his who pray & thank him !
6. It'd do us good to make new friends - and hold-on to them [and always look for an opportunity for 'hugs' - offer one if u don't get it !].
7. BTW: This place is full of ppl from Europe & the Middle East - and no one went back, why?
8. Besides, Canada Calling was our own 'call', wasn't it? And we must have [much] deliberated on it before taking that call, didn't we?

*And 'succeed' we will - if we have it in us -- all of us do !

destinationBC

Champion Member
Jul 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
thats history
Doc's Request.
thats history
AOR Received.
thats history
File Transfer...
thats history
Med's Request
thats history
Med's Done....
thats history
Passport Req..
thats history
VISA ISSUED...
got it
LANDED..........
Long Long ago
Perfect answer

qorax said:
What's with the thought that "Immigrating isn't about Jobs -- it's about Change of Lifestyle - making a New Home - Securing the Future of our Kids & the future Generations" ?

Qorax

Ps.:
1. No one said that the start will be a bed of roses;
2. No one suggested that there'd be jobs on a platter;
3. No one denies the fact that u'd be treading the 'unknown';
4. Everyone knows that new land makes u a 'nobody' -- we need fresh 'orientation' & determination to succeed
5. Every first-time immigrant faces [immense] challenges - it's the future generations of his who pray & thank him!
6. It'd do us good to make new friends - and hold-on to them [and always look for the opportunity for 'hugs' - offer one if u don't get it!].
7. BTW: This place is full of ppl from Europe & the Middle East - and no one went back, why?

*And 'succeed' we will - if we have it in us -- all of us do!

zulkfal

Sep 28, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/10/2009
Doc's Request.
15/12/2009
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06/05/2010
IELTS Request
Submitted with Doc's
File Transfer...
22/12/2009
Med's Request
04/05/2011 (Dated: 24/04/2011)
Med's Done....
09/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
25/07/2011
LANDED..........
07-08-2011
Well I agree that there are issues in Canada for immigrants especially getting the types of job they left back home or in a different country. I have seen lots of people doing surviving jobs or awkward jobs but there are chances for success,

1. Never give up :)
2. Modify your resume with Canadian style resume, normally people in employment centers or canadian government run help centers make your resume worst. So be careful because they don't know your profession well. I have seen lots of example (I help my friends to modify resumes, learned it from U Waterloo consulting club esp finance, business professionals. If you need help contact me at zulkfal@gmail.com but remember I may take some time 2-3 weeks to reply )

3. Upgrade your skills take courses in Canada, there are lots of certificate courses offered in Uniz, I don't prefer community colleges as they can't replace uni. Use provincial and other education fundings or grants in best way. So, choose uni for certificates which are normally for eight months. (I have MA from Waterloo, MSc from LSE, BSc from Queen Mary, 18 months exp in global advisory firm. Lots of interview but due to not having Canadian financial experience trying. I recently applied to York for Certificate in Accounting to go for CA, so try, improve your self and skill set)

4. Use linkedin as much as you can.
5. Work in low paying jobs but don't spend whole time on that, spend 2 hours a day to search for good jobs and 4 on weekend days, never apply on weekend always b/w Monday-Friday as normally lots of candidates apply on weekend and firms skim through weekend apps or some time they go to low in recruiters inbox.

I have seen lots of people who are working in good jobs, but they upgraded their skills started from low level jobs (not very low but have seen VP's starting as Analyst) but rapidly promoted to better positions some time as little as in six months.

Any question esp finance related profession am happy to answer. Good luck

schwarzeradler

Mar 10, 2010
can_uk said:
Dear all,

Just a word of caution -

Best Wishes
Thanks Mate for the insight. Those who are saying it's about change in Life style and the security of their families, Well, they need to know that to have a life style change you need money, job satisfaction, affordability plus various other factors, and of course, again, it depends on your present situation and age. However, on the other hand, this may well be true for people coming from those regions of the world where even to get the basics is like a having to go through a brawl, fight..............................etc. For such people, I would say, make every effort to get in there. For you/them, it is indeed a win-win situation in any case.
However, for those who are well settled in a European country and may be hoping for a better life than that in a European country, what change will they get apart from disappointment if they don't meet the standards they left back.

Anyway, it's each and everyone's own take and everyone is in a better position to analyze his or her present state.

Good Luck and thank you for the precautionary advise.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
If it was about 'jobs' - then why immigrate?
We already had 'jobs' in our homeland/current nation of residence, didn't we? Career progression had other choices/options/strategies, hadn't it? And if the $$$ were calling - there were other methods of getting an overseas assignment - Work Permit & 'temporarily' move, with an insight to return to homeland/comfort zone, once the contract was over - we all did that... many do... I did.

But alas, we sat down, raked our brains - discussed with our family & friends - AND thought of moving 'permanently' to a hitherto 'unknown' nation... w/out a "pre-arranged employment"... surely that didn't come-out for 'jobs'... there were 'other' factors that played a decisive role... and to an extent our quest for 'adventure' !

So, when we come here - where does that brainwave vanish? We did know what we were treading into - then why couldn't we stick to the plan? Which did involve taking our teething-troubles to our stride & look@the bigger picture - and make deliberate efforts to succeed. Why does the 'not a good job' thing break our heart - so soon - abruptly? We knew what we had to do - before 'landing' -- then what happened after?

Couldn't we hold-on a bit more? Couldn't we realize that it was coming? And we pre-knew what we were onto? What we were supposed to do? Couldn't we go all-out? We did so - while we were applying & waiting, didn't we? What changed? -- Nothing... other than our 'disorientation' - an imminent desperation to make $$$ ! Which, in the first case wasn't a consideration at all !

It'd do us good to realize that 'coming to Canada' wasn't about making $$$ - for that we'd have stuck to our [earlier] career path... coming to Canada was to "change everything" - our life, our neighborhood, our associates, our outlook, our destiny... we came here to "stay"... there is no hurry... we aren't going anywhere from here... this is going to be our [new] homeland... and we better get accustomed to it's environs... make amends... CHANGE !

Over a time everyone gets going... smoothly... things start falling into place... doors do open... it's just that we need to remain 'grounded' - believe in ourselves... and look for that door !

Besides, make friends...
There's immense power in friendship !
All the way !
And yes - then those $$$ WILL start pouring-in too !!!

'Jobs' was never a consideration - have a 'life' & that 'job' will come-by...

Qorax

Ps.: Once again - there r Europeans & M/Easterners here, who haven't gone back... and they aren't a handful - r actually 'plentiful' ! I'm sure they were doing well@their homeland -- r doing well here as well !

charninder

Jul 2, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Very welldone qorax,

it is just like reading a text book, perfect and flawless. That's why you are 'qorax'.

Thanks for advising and encouraging in a new manner.

ap_123

Star Member
Apr 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07 June 2012
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
AOR Received.
01 August 2012
File Transfer...
14 August 2012
Med's Done....
30 March 2012
Passport Req..
11 September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
In Process 08 October 2012.....address change 30 Nov. 2012
LANDED..........
Landed Jan 25th 2013
@ QORAX

Very well said and explained as always !

Huge Cheers for cheering and encouraging many waiting applicants !

Thanks,

PS : I have sent you a PM, awaiting your reply soon.

ap

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ap_123 said:
@ QORAX

Very well said and explained as always !

Huge Cheers for cheering and encouraging many waiting applicants !

Thanks,

PS : I have sent you a PM, awaiting your reply soon.

ap
Replied the same day as well Bro.

Deeaar

Oct 27, 2010
ABU DHABI , UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
Case Processing Pilot - Ottawa
NOC Code......
(1241-B) Oct 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG 2007
Doc's Request.
AUG 2007
AOR Received.
OCT 2007
IELTS Request
FEB 2008 ( Total Band 8 )
File Transfer...
MARCH 2010
Med's Request
15/10/2010
Med's Done....
26/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
04/03/2011. Sent on 08/03/2011
VISA ISSUED...
30/03/2011
LANDED..........
25 July 2011
Completely agree with you Qorax!!!

The one thing I fail to understand is how can one decide to immigrate to a new land without doing a thorough study of the place, +ve aspects, -ve aspects, what difficulties we would face after ‘landing” there, etc. If we go there expecting a life with no hardships, no troubles, a bed of roses….then there is no one but ourselves to blame.

ap_123

Star Member
Apr 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07 June 2012
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
AOR Received.
01 August 2012
File Transfer...
14 August 2012
Med's Done....
30 March 2012
Passport Req..
11 September 2012
VISA ISSUED...
In Process 08 October 2012.....address change 30 Nov. 2012
LANDED..........
Landed Jan 25th 2013
Hi Qorax,

Thanks for your first reply to my first PM.

I sent you a reply with few more questions by second PM, I am referring to the second one dude !!

Still waiting, please reply whenever you can !!

Thanks,

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ap_123 said:
Hi Qorax,

Thanks for your first reply to my first PM.

I sent you a reply with few more questions by second PM, I am referring to the second one dude !!

Still waiting, please reply whenever you can !!

Thanks,
Brother,

I just checked my inbox again... there don't seem to be a 2nd PM anywhere from ap_123... could u pls rePost it?

Deep regards,
Qorax

smiling_face

Champion Member
Apr 20, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2012
LANDED..........
Landed
Dear zulkfal,

Thank you so much for posting such an impressive and inspirational note for us. Although my case is in under process and I'm not sure at all about the tentative timeline for the final decision, I feel keen interest to contact you for as you are from Finance track.

There is no hurry to answer me, please! I'm working in a Financial Reporting/Management Accounting position in a Petroleum/Energy company. Although I'm a Finance Graduate, my concentration has been diverted into Accounting area (Financial Reporting/Management Accounting) for last couple of years. I mean, I'm out of Investment Banking/Capital Market/Mutual Fund working area from long since. It would be really nice if you can address my following questions at your convenience.

1. My first intention is to pursue Canadian CA Degree (from CICA). How feasible will it be for a sustainable career in Finance/Accounting area?

2. What are the major hardship to pursue Canadian CA Degree, i.e. getting registration in an approved employer/CATO?

3. Is there is any benefit to take a Masters Program (Accounting/Finance) before going for CA qualification?

4. Which field is more open in Canada between Accounting (AR, AP, Reporting, GL, Budgeting, etc.) and Finance (Investment Banks/Mutual Funds/Hedge Funds/Derivatives, etc)?

5. Is it very difficult to continue full time education (i.e. Masters Program/Graduate Diploma) along with any job?

6. Since you have taken a Masters from Waterloo, do u have any detail knowledge on their MS in Taxation Program? How feasible this program will be for pursuing CA Qualification as well as for Canadian job market?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Regards,

smiling_face :)

zulkfal said:
Well I agree that there are issues in Canada for immigrants especially getting the types of job they left back home or in a different country. I have seen lots of people doing surviving jobs or awkward jobs but there are chances for success,

1. Never give up :)
2. Modify your resume with Canadian style resume, normally people in employment centers or canadian government run help centers make your resume worst. So be careful because they don't know your profession well. I have seen lots of example (I help my friends to modify resumes, learned it from U Waterloo consulting club esp finance, business professionals. If you need help contact me at zulkfal @ gmail.com but remember I may take some time 2-3 weeks to reply )

3. Upgrade your skills take courses in Canada, there are lots of certificate courses offered in Uniz, I don't prefer community colleges as they can't replace uni. Use provincial and other education fundings or grants in best way. So, choose uni for certificates which are normally for eight months. (I have MA from Waterloo, MSc from LSE, BSc from Queen Mary, 18 months exp in global advisory firm. Lots of interview but due to not having Canadian financial experience trying. I recently applied to York for Certificate in Accounting to go for CA, so try, improve your self and skill set)

4. Use linkedin as much as you can.
5. Work in low paying jobs but don't spend whole time on that, spend 2 hours a day to search for good jobs and 4 on weekend days, never apply on weekend always b/w Monday-Friday as normally lots of candidates apply on weekend and firms skim through weekend apps or some time they go to low in recruiters inbox.

I have seen lots of people who are working in good jobs, but they upgraded their skills started from low level jobs (not very low but have seen VP's starting as Analyst) but rapidly promoted to better positions some time as little as in six months.

Any question esp finance related profession am happy to answer. Good luck