+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FOIA fees and eligibility?

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
In my interview I presented I-94 and the officer response was that, this is only I-94. I responded that it is what is available to me and yu can verify it yourself by my passport number and DOB. She was not happy.

I applied for FOI in the US and after 20 days waiting, I got this response:

"Your request for Fee Waiver for the FOIA request xxx has been determined to be not applicable as the request is not billable."

What FOIA response means? is it becaue I live in Canada or do I have to pay by card or what it is? :eek: ::)

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
nkam said:
In my interview I presented I-94 and the officer response was that, this is only I-94. I responded that it is what is available to me and yu can verify it yourself by my passport number and DOB. She was not happy.

I applied for FOI in the US and after 20 days waiting, I got this response:

"Your request for Fee Waiver for the FOIA request xxx has been determined to be not applicable as the request is not billable."

What FOIA response means? is it becaue I live in Canada or do I have to pay by card or what it is? :eek: ::)
Looks like there is some misunderstanding between you & FOIA. Few years back, after making few calls, I was re-directed to the concerned FOIA division who provide travel records. They sent me after 6 weeks.

I suggested you call & explain what exactly you need, may be they point you to the appropriate division who can assist you.

In case if you need here is the URL.....http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/i-94-instructions

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nkam said:
I don't understand the problem that CIC has with I-94. It comes from a U.S. Government website and the record can be easily traced by the officer.

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
Diplomatru said:
I don't understand the problem that CIC has with I-94. It comes from a U.S. Government website and the record can be easily traced by the officer.
The problem is that CIC know that there is a probability that this records might have omicions and discrepancies . Lucky you that every date is accurate.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Politren said:
The problem is that CIC know that there is a probability that this records might have omicions and discrepancies . Lucky you that every date is accurate.
Probably I started traveling at the time CBSA was not in a mess (2014).

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
Diplomatru said:
Probably I started traveling at the time CBSA was not in a mess (2014).
Sometimes the US border agent doesn't register an entry and a person end up with only entry Canadian entry proving nothing as to when exactly was the exit date from Canada.
In this scenarios there is no records at the US side and no records at the Canadian side. Really messy and stupid situations might occur at the land border.
This is why CIC doesn't like to see them.

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
I think it means they cannot bill me becaue I am not in the USA and they won't be paid. I don't need to pay and they will not release any report. They closed the request entirely.

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
CIC officer first asked me to get exit-entry from my home country, when I presented this which I had to hand , she siad no I do not want from your home country. I want from Saudi Arabia as you worked before there! I insisted I have never been there anymore from the date I landed and it will be of no use to get you something telling nothing cos all my ties with Saudi ended the day I landed.
Then she said I want the US, I presented I-94, sh was not happy until I encouraged her to check it.
Then, she asked for entry/exit from Norway and France where I declared visiting.

Finally, she said she will think what she wants and write to me and indicated that she may send full rQ and another list of specific documents.
I decided virtually to withdraw my application and apply in future but for the time being I want only to retain my PR status.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Alot of people are reporting withdrawing their applications when they meet the first sign of resistance from CIC. If your application is good, it will probably eventually be approved.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
nkam said:
I think it means they cannot bill me becaue I am not in the USA and they won't be paid. I don't need to pay and they will not release any report. They closed the request entirely.
I don't think that is what it means. There is nothing stopping them from billing someone in Canada.