+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flying within Canada whilst out of status?

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
Brief background, have an inland spousal sponsorship in progress (mailed in last month) for my Wife who is currently out of status, so were crossing fingers this will all go through ok.

Family have invited us over to Toronto in October which would mean flying withing Canada, wife holds a valid Australian passport.

Would love to go on the trip, but obviously being here with lack of status it seems a bad idea to me consider going even if we are staying within Canada and risk rubbing the noses in of the powers that be.

Thoughts?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No issues flying within Canada.

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
No issues flying within Canada.
Ok great thanks!. So her passport is her only ID she has which is all she needs as obviously has no Canadian ID, I guess our biggest fear is security could alert CBSA somehow and her lack of status would be revealed though they may all ready know by now given our application. I know we shouldn't encounter them as we're not leaving Canada but paranoia is always there. We should take along things like a copy of the receipt for the sponsorship fees just in case?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
We should take along things like a copy of the receipt for the sponsorship fees just in case?
No that would be pointless. There is no immigration checks when flying domestic, so they couldn't care less about anyones immigration status.

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
No that would be pointless. There is no immigration checks when flying domestic, so they couldn't care less about anyones immigration status.
Makes sense what you're saying. I guess just a bit of paranoia with the out of status thing and being at an airport!

C

Classic Chucks

Our flights are booked, still slightly apprehensive despite the reassuring posts, but thanks!
It'll be fine. Just make sure that passport's biopage matches the ticket, that's all they care about. Keep us posted. Safe travels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
It'll be fine. Just make sure that passport's biopage match the ticket, that's all they care about. Keep us posted. Safe travels.
I will thanks! The passport is still valid for 4 years so shouldn't be any problems I read an old post from member Violetblue who said she took a domestic flight whilst out of status and a few days later the CBSA came knocking (she was allowed to stay and got an inland pr app successfully processed), just gets you thinking the worst!

C

Classic Chucks

I will thanks! The passport is still valid for 4 years so shouldn't be any problems I read an old post from member Violetblue who said she took a domestic flight whilst out of status and a few days later the CBSA came knocking (she was allowed to stay and got an inland pr app successfully processed), just gets you thinking the worst!
Tell your wife to act like she has a PR status! Play the part. Be natural. :cool: Good luck!

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Brief background, have an inland spousal sponsorship in progress (mailed in last month) for my Wife who is currently out of status, so were crossing fingers this will all go through ok.

Family have invited us over to Toronto in October which would mean flying withing Canada, wife holds a valid Australian passport.

Would love to go on the trip, but obviously being here with lack of status it seems a bad idea to me consider going even if we are staying within Canada and risk rubbing the noses in of the powers that be.

Thoughts?
apply for a restoration of temporary resident status
Note: apply within 90 days of having lost their status;
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/restoration.asp

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
Tell your wife to act like she has a PR status! Play the part. Be natural. :cool: Good luck!
I guess though traveling with only a foreign passport as ID isn't it kind of obvious you have no residency status? That's why was wondering if travelers in situation like this trigger any kind of referal by security to the CBSA for further investigation (even if nothing happens at the airports, in the following days as in Violetblues case)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I guess though traveling with only a foreign passport as ID isn't it kind of obvious you have no residency status? That's why was wondering if travelers in situation like this trigger any kind of referal by security to the CBSA for further investigation (even if nothing happens at the airports, in the following days as in Violetblues case)
Why would this be a problem given all security are looking at is the name on a passport bio page if using that matches the boarding pass.

A passport is the only ID a visitor for example has to show for a domestic flight so I doubt for a domestic flight anybody is going to spend any time at all validating anyones status in the country looking at for example passport entry/exit stamps, why would they even be interested.

Not everybody for whatever reason keeps their PR card valid, often as they have no intention of leaving the country, so for domestic travel they will use whatever ID they have that is acceptable , foreign passport included. Doesnt mean they are out of status though.

As for Violetblue although a lot of posts there seems was a long overstayer (years) so not surprising CBsA caught up with her, especially as had an H& C application in let alone the many years overstay, 7 was it ?

Try not to over think things and enjoy your trip.

Last edited:

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
Why would this be a problem given all security are looking at is the name on a passport bio page if using that matches the boarding pass.

A passport is the only ID a visitor for example has to show for a domestic flight so I doubt for a domestic flight anybody is going to spend any time at all validating anyones status in the country looking at for example passport entry/exit stamps, why would they even be interested.

As for Violetblue although a lot of posts there seems was a long overstayer (years) so not surprising CBsA caught up with her, especially as had an H& C application in et alone the many years overstay, 7 was it ?

Try not to over think things and enjoy your trip.
Thanks! Yes a tendency to over think everything in a situation like this for sure we both must of read hundreds of pages about this trying to decide what to do lol, when were trying to "lay low" with the out of status thing and getting an inland app processed we'd hate to do anything that could make things difficult for us. Violetblues case did seem a very long overstay (9 years I think) but with a happy ending, hopefully can be the same happy ending in a year or so so we can really move forward without the constant fear!

Oldmacwright

Aug 18, 2017
Just to say thanks again to the advice here, we flew there and back last weekend without any issues. Only the airline took a quick look at the passport on check in and on boarding, security no problems just scanned boarding pass and dont check IDs, let alone have time to figure someone is here without status!