+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flying out without PR card

Jan 29, 2020
My wallet incl my permanent resident card got stolen a few weeks ago right before a booked vacation. I have a trip booked to Mexico on Feb 10th leaving Vancouver and returning to Vancouver. I have a dutch passport and now no PRC right now (I reapplied but still waiting).
If I keep my flights as is I prob need my PRC right? So that wont work.
But would Vancouver let me board a flight out with just my dutch passport and then return to Seattle, USA instead and then cross border by car?

Please help!! So stressed about this!

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
You can return to US using Visa waiver/ETA (for US) first and then take a rental/personal car to the land border. If you have your COPR, keep it with you, but that is not mandatory.

Reactions: scylla

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If you have a US ESTA and therefore assume you have a passport subject to the US visa waiver program that will allow you to fly from Mexico to the US and cross over a US/Canada land border. As said above if you have your COPR with you that might help cross the border but not mandatory.

You do not need a valid PR card to leave Canada only a valid passport, there is no PR card check to leave only to board a flight back to Canada.

Without a PR card the only other option is a PRTD from outside of Canada but that does not have any published processing time so is impractical for a vacation.

This always seems to be a major issue when someone either loses or has their card stolen when outside of the country, especially the latter when not an individuals fault versus loss or simply not having a valid card. For sure a process seemingly not thought through along lines of an emergency travel document given a PRTD could take weeks depending which country applied in.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020
If you have a US ESTA and therefore assume you have a passport subject to the US visa waiver program that will allow you to fly from Mexico to the US and cross over a US/Canada land border. As said above if you have your COPR with you that might help cross the border but not mandatory.

You do not need a valid PR card to leave Canada only a valid passport, there is no PR card check to leave only to board a flight back to Canada.

Without a PR card the only other option is a PRTD from outside of Canada but that does not have any published processing time so is impractical for a vacation.

This always seems to be a major issue when someone either loses or has their card stolen when outside of the country, especially the latter when not an individuals fault versus loss or simply not having a valid card. For sure a process seemingly not thought through along lines of an emergency travel document given a PRTD could take weeks depending which country applied in.

Thanks for your reply! I think the same but why would 2 people I know with dutch passports have had to show their PR card when leaving Canada at the check in? Is it because their ticket showed their returning to Canada by plane?

Please advice!