+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flying from the US to Canada, Can I claim refugee status?

KARAM AHMED

Oct 19, 2016
Hello all,
What happens if I land in the US on a US visitor visa and spend a couple of days there, then fly to Canada on a Canadian business visitor visa and apply for refugee status in Canada? Would the Safe Third Country Agreement apply? meaning the Canadian authorities will reject my refugee claim?

Best,

key78

Star Member
Aug 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yes you will be arrested and they fly you back to where you came from.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
KARAM AHMED said:
Hello all,
What happens if I land in the US on a US visitor visa and spend a couple of days there, then fly to Canada on a Canadian business visitor visa and apply for refugee status in Canada? Would the Safe Third Country Agreement apply? meaning the Canadian authorities will reject my refugee claim?

Best,
Yes - your claim will be refused and you'll be sent home unless you fall under one of the exceptions to the safe third country agreement.

ghonghadze

Star Member
Nov 15, 2014
If you have two visas US and Canadian, First issue is that which one is taken first, iF you took US visa first and then Canadian even if you claim Refugee status in Canada you will have to explain why you did you leave the Country as soon as you had US visa.
if you land in US and then take a fly to Canada and you make a claim Refugee Status at the port of Entry, CBSA will allow you to make a claim and you will have a hearing in two months BUT you will have to answer the questions why you failed to make a claim in US. Even if you fall under third safe country agreement, it will be very difficult for you to win the case. So do not spoil the visas.

KARAM AHMED

Oct 19, 2016
key78 said:
yes you will be arrested and they fly you back to where you came from.
Why? my understanding is that the safe third country agreement applies only to land crossing border, not to airports.

KARAM AHMED

Oct 19, 2016
ghonghadze said:
If you have two visas US and Canadian, First issue is that which one is taken first, iF you took US visa first and then Canadian even if you claim Refugee status in Canada you will have to explain why you did you leave the Country as soon as you had US visa.
if you land in US and then take a fly to Canada and you make a claim Refugee Status at the port of Entry, CBSA will allow you to make a claim and you will have a hearing in two months BUT you will have to answer the questions why you failed to make a claim in US. Even if you fall under third safe country agreement, it will be very difficult for you to win the case. So do not spoil the visas.
Thanks for your explanation. The only reason why I am landing in the US is because my wife has a US visa only. So I will accompany her to the US then fly alone to Canada, so when I claim refugee status in Canada, she can enter Canada legally from a land crossing border (exception to STCA). What do you think? would that be a sufficient reason why I was in the US?

KARAM AHMED

Oct 19, 2016
scylla said:
Yes - your claim will be refused and you'll be sent home unless you fall under one of the exceptions to the safe third country agreement.
Isn't traveling by air excluded from this agreement?

CSED

Sep 19, 2016
It's stated on the CIC website ( check it yourself) that you can claim asylum as long as you have a valid Canadian visa (other than transit visa),

"Refugee claimants may qualify under this category of exceptions if they:

hold a valid Canadian visa (other than a transit visa)
hold a valid work permit
hold a valid study permit
hold a travel document (for permanent residents or refugees) or other valid admission document issued by Canada, or
are not required (exempt) to get a temporary resident visa to enter Canada but require a U.S.–issued visa to enter the U.S.
"

Cheers!

LuckyGirl88

Oct 21, 2016
KARAM AHMED said:
Hello all,

Best,
Many people do that to get asylum in Canada. you are not the first one to do this. Apply for asylum as soon as possible.

amin shinwari

Aug 11, 2015
KARAM AHMED said:
Thanks for your explanation. The only reason why I am landing in the US is because my wife has a US visa only. So I will accompany her to the US then fly alone to Canada, so when I claim refugee status in Canada, she can enter Canada legally from a land crossing border (exception to STCA). What do you think? would that be a sufficient reason why I was in the US?