+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flying back from USA without a PR Card. Is it possible?

sshelton

May 30, 2011
Hi all,

My wife just landed yesterday and the one issue we ran into was that my wife had planned two flights to the US before we got the PPR. We didn't find out that this could potentially be a problem until the officer told us AFTER we landed. He said that if we didn't have the PR card before she leaves (which we probably won't), she may have trouble getting on a flight back to Canada from the US. Apparently the airlines aren't officially supposed to let a Canadian permanent resident on without their PR card. He said that if she gets through, then immigration won't care (since they issued her residency), but that we should check with the policy of the airlines. Has anyone had experience with this before? I checked with the airlines and they told me that they don't check for that stuff, but we're a bit worried that she won't be able to get on her flight. We're totally ecstatic to have this complete, but I think he really should have told us before we landed. FYI, apparently this is only an issue with flying across the border. If we were to drive it would be no problem.

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My husband did this and had no problems. The US passport was all he needed.

sshelton

May 30, 2011
scylla said:
My husband did this and had no problems. The US passport was all he needed.
Thanks scylla!! May I ask if you did this more than once? (My wife has two trips coming up)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My husband did have two trips between the time he landed and received his PR card (both to the US). One was a land border crossing and the other was air. No problems either time.

When he landed, he was told (just like your wife) that he shouldn't attempt a flight without his PR card. But the airline certainly didn't care (as soon as they saw the US passport he was good). I should add that he has a Nexus card. So when he returned to Canada via air he didn't actually speak with an immigration officer. Not sure how big a difference that makes...

sshelton

May 30, 2011
scylla said:
My husband did have two trips between the time he landed and received his PR card (both to the US). One was a land border crossing and the other was air. No problems either time.

When he landed, he was told (just like your wife) that he shouldn't attempt a flight without his PR card. But the airline certainly didn't care (as soon as they saw the US passport he was good). I should add that he has a Nexus card. So when he returned to Canada via air he didn't actually speak with an immigration officer. Not sure how big a difference that makes...
Thank you! I was told that it's not the immigration officers who care, only the airlines, so I imagine we should be good there. If anything, I've been told that there might be a slight hold up to confirm her PR.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sshelton said:
Thank you! I was told that it's not the immigration officers who care, only the airlines, so I imagine we should be good there. If anything, I've been told that there might be a slight hold up to confirm her PR.
The airline will see you are visa exempt and let you board. Take your COPR with you and when you enter Canada, let them know you are a PR and have not received your card yet.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, airlines would not let you board if you only have the visa exempted passport and oneway ticket. You need also either one of these documents with you: COPR, landing paper or anything showing your status in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
steaky said:
No, airlines would not let you board if you only have the visa exempted passport. You need also either one of these documents with you: COPR, landing paper or anything showing your status in Canada.
This may be the technical rule - but it definitely wasn't my husband's experience. They didn't ask for or look for anything additional (other than the picture page on his US passport).

sshelton

May 30, 2011
Just contacted the airline that she would be flying. I was told that she technically would need this. They said that when they swipe her passport they will know her status and what documents to check for. This is a pain. I am wondering if she should just change her flight to go to Buffalo and then I can go pick her up.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
No, airlines would not let you board if you only have the visa exempted passport and oneway ticket. You need also either one of these documents with you: COPR, landing paper or anything showing your status in Canada.
This is NOT correct. The airline cares about your ability to legally board the plane, not about whether or not you have a return ticket. They are not immigration officers.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sshelton said:
Just contacted the airline that she would be flying. I was told that she technically would need this. They said that when they swipe her passport they will know her status and what documents to check for. This is a pain. I am wondering if she should just change her flight to go to Buffalo and then I can go pick her up.
Oy vay. This has been posted about again and again for visa exempt individuals. She does NOT need the PR card to board the plane if she is visa exempt. Think about it for a second. When she goes to the ticket agent to get her boarding pass all they will look at is her ability to enter Canada without a visa. The passport reader will indicate biometric information (name, dob, etc.), previous entry and exit dates, will detect fraudulant passports, etc. Depending on the country it may also have information relevant to criminality, etc. If you are a wanted terrorist travelling on your own passport and it is scanned, it will alert the agent to contact their security as they won't want you to board the plane (obviously). There is also a system between several countries that sends inbound information about travellers so they know who is coming. So in your case, if they send the information to Canada and CBSA sees your wife is a PR, what is the problem? A PR is a PR with or without the damn card as long as they meet the eligibility requirements. Sorry if I sound frustrated but this question gets answered at least once a week. I know that there is a lot of confusion about it EVERYWHERE but this is how it works.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm 100% with rjessome.

The airline doesn't care about your PR card if you have a visa exempt passport. Since becoming a PR, my husband has flow in and out of the country (sometimes to the US, sometimes elsewhere) 10-12 times. He has NEVER been asked for his PR card by the airlines (although he always carries it with him) or anything else for that matter regarding his status in Canada. All they care about is his US passport. Period.

He also knows for a fact that they've never flipped through his passport to look at the CORP or anything else like that because he has a 48 page US passport (due to very frequent travel) which has dozens of pieces of paper stapled it in and it literally takes 5 minutes to find any stamp or piece of paper in that mess.

sshelton

May 30, 2011
Many thanks to all of you! Feeling much better about this.
And just to confirm, you don't think there's a chance that CBSA will send my wife back because the airline didn't follow the official rules?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sshelton said:
Many thanks to all of you! Feeling much better about this.
And just to confirm, you don't think there's a chance that CBSA will send my wife back because the airline didn't follow the official rules?
Ok, you know what the airline is concerned about? Financial Liability. If they allow a person to board a plane to enter a country they are not authorized to enter (the passenger is not visa exempt or does not have a visa) the airline is reponsible to return the passenger to the departure country AT THEIR OWN COST. Airlines do not want to eat that money.

CBSA cannot send your wife back. She is a PR so they must allow her entry. Even if she did not meet the eligibility requirements and was issued a report on inadmissibility, they would STILL allow her to enter to attend the hearing.

sshelton

May 30, 2011
rjessome said:
Ok, you know what the airline is concerned about? Financial Liability. If they allow a person to board a plane to enter a country they are not authorized to enter (the passenger is not visa exempt or does not have a visa) the airline is reponsible to return the passenger to the departure country AT THEIR OWN COST. Airlines do not want to eat that money.

CBSA cannot send your wife back. She is a PR so they must allow her entry. Even if she did not meet the eligibility requirements and was issued a report on inadmissibility, they would STILL allow her to enter to attend the hearing.
Got it. Thank you!