+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpolling for SOWP (on implied status, adding to PNP PR file, medicals needed?)

annaalpine

Jan 14, 2019
Hi guys,

We have some questions regarding what our laywer told us.

I'm a PR applicant and me and my girlfriend are planning on getting married soon. We are aware that I would need to add her to a file, but my girlfriend is currently on implied status as she applied for her first visitor extension and we were unsure how to maintain her legal status (and when to apply for SOWP). We went to speak to a lawyer to ask for the safest way to add her and who gave us the advice to not wait for an answer on her extension and to go to the border as soon as possible (after we get married) to flagpole to obtain a SOWP for her. The lawyer told us the following is possible:

1. Once we get married and receive the marriage certificate, we should message BC PNP to update my file and add my wife as dependent

2. Once we receive a confirmation, we should use this confirmation to update CIC thru the case specific enquiry web tool (and that we dont have to wait for an answer from them or to wait until it shows in my file)

3. We then should go to the border (point roberts) with all the required documents and a confirmation that my wife applied for an extension, to flagpole to obtain a SOWP, BEFORE she hears anything back on her extension

We are just wondering (if this is possible) if its not too risky to flagpole, especially seeing she is on implied status?
And will it affect my PR application if she's denied at the border? Especially if she would be denied a SOWP and cannot return as a visitor? Will she risk getting flagged and then there is no way for us to go for PR together?

The lawyer said we should not worry about this and she could try to re-enter the country if thats the case (my girlfriend is from a visa exempt country). But we don't think any officer would grant her any visitor status as they would probably not believe her to be a 'genuine visitor' anymore (as she has been in Canada for 6 months already)

Another question is if we decide to flagpole, does my girlfriend (wife by that time) need to show any ties to her home country? And what about medicals? I have a closed work permit and never needed medicals as was not going to work in childcare etc - she is not going to work in any agriculture or childcare either. Does she need them anyways?

Any advice would be of a great help.

Last edited: