Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
foodie69 said:
No one even looked at our belongings.. the whole procedure was 15 minutes, 9pm at night at YVR.
agreed. they don't look at the belongings unless they have reason/suspicion to (declaring certain food, firearms, etc). they may ask you multiple times to confirm everything on the list is what you have with you (i was asked 3 times), that's about it.

philgoodhusband

Star Member
Feb 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Writing an update here in case anyone is thinking of flagpoling soon...

I just came back from the Boundary Bay Border Crossing a.k.a. Point Roberts where I officially landed as a PR. I got there purely using public transportation, and it was very convenient indeed - I was back at our South Vancouver apartment a little over 3 hours after I left. It would obviously be even faster driving, but then you'd have to think about parking and traffic.

I got off the bus on the corner of 1st and 56th, and I made the short walk down 56th to the border on foot. If you stay to the left of vehicular traffic entering the US, you should eventually see a footpath to the US border office. There are painted footprints to direct you as well. Once inside, there would be officers there attending to anyone crossing the border, and they are very familiar with flagpolers. If you mention that, they'll know what to do. I showed them my passport with my US VISA, and got it back after a minute or two along with a piece of paper indicating I flagpoled there.

Next step is to head back to the Canadian side. Just go back in the direction you came, except this time turn right before the Canadian border office and go in the direction of vehicles entering Canada. You should again see painted footprints to guide you. An officer will call any "walkers" over and ask what your business is, which in my case is landing as a PR. He will give you a slip of paper and direct you into the office. Once in, when your turn is up, hand over your passport, COPR, that slip of paper from the Canada border officer and the one from the US border officer and they should begin to process your landing. After that, it's a matter of waiting for any other instructions. I actually did not list down any goods to bring in. Since I have been staying here with my wife, I have everything I need here. I brought this up with the officer, and he said I can make a list of goods to follow if there are any, but anything I have here already, I don't have to bother with since it's moot. After a few more questions, answers and signatures, he handed me back my passport and a copy of my COPR, now stamped and signed, gave a few notes and reminders, and that was that. I had brought a few other documents with me (birth/marriage certificate, bank statements, medical records, et al), but they weren't necessary apparently.

allthebest90

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Canada
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Like phil. I would also like to share my experience for anyone wishing to Flagpoling from Vancouver. I chose the similar route he did. Here's my story.

I don't live anywhere near Vancouver but it's the closest border I can get to. I had a 1-hour plane ride to Vancouver from where I live. So I planned a whole day just for the landing itself in case I encountered some hiccups. I decided to go on a Saturday (July 14, 2018) and got the earliest flight I could. I arrived at YVR at 7AM. I immediately rushed to the YVR Train Station and bought a Compass Day Pass for around 21CAD (Incuding Tax and a $6 deposit). I rode the first train available and got off the Bridgeport station. On train stations, you will need to tap-out your card when exiting. You will need to do it here as the Buses are outside (below) the Train Station. After that, I went to the Bridgeport Station Bay 6 for the 601:South Delta bus. Simply tap your Compass Card on the terminal near the entrance and enter the bus. I rode the bus for roughly 45minutes (refer to the Vancouver Bus Transit guide for schedules) and you'll reach the "SB 54 St NS 2 Ave" stop. Even if you miss this, this stop is the last stop before the bus turns around and heads back to Bridgeport station so it will stop (for you?). I got off here and walked my way across Diefenbaker Park (it's nice). Then, I continued walking south following the pedestrian lane and ended up in the CBSA Office. Don't be worried if there's no "clear" pedestrian walkway once you're almost there, I just followed the pedestrian lane I was in and crossed the CBSA office and went to the USA Border Office and an officer told me to follow the white footprints on the pavement heading to their office entrance. Once I was in, the officer simply asked for my passport and stamped it with "...Flagpole..." and told me to walk back the way I came and cross over to my right before the CBSA office. Once there, there was a sign saying "wait for a CBSA officer.." or something to call so I waited there. The Canadian side didn't have a dedicated pedestrian lane so I waited in line with the vehicle beside me. Once I got called, the officer asked me a couple of questions regarding why I didn't "land" in the standard way and I told him I would end up missing my medical expiry date (completely untrue :p). He gave me a yellow slip and told me to go inside the office. In there, the officer asked for my CoPR and Passport...nothing else. Asked me 2 questions - if I was ever convicted and if I was bringing any goods...No. Then he asked me to place my initials in some sections of the CoPR and sign it. Told me "Good job and welcome to Canada" :)

I walked back to the same bus stop I got off of and waited for the same (601:South Delta) bus and rode it back to Bridgeport Station, went up the station and rode the Train on the opposite side of the other train I got off earlier that day.

Reactions: gisalala

Roro75

Aug 21, 2018
Hi!
I'm in a similar case and I would like some help.
I'm waiting for my study permit (which will be approved any day now) but my flight is for 2nd Sept and my classes start 4th Sept. I need to be in Canada to rent an apartment and stuff like that. .y agent has suggested me to enter with a ETA (tourist visa) and if asked tell the officer at the border that I'm waiting for my study permit and I nees to find a place to live etc. Then I have to go to a border and ask for a "flagpole".
I'm flying to Vancouver so both your cases are very helpful. I just want to know, since I'm from Spain and I need an ESTA to enter the US, would I need to ask for one when I'm crossing the border?

mimitu

Sep 22, 2018
Hi Guys, do you know if someone with the PR can come with us when flag-polling, or we need to be alone? Also, any ideas if the immigration officers speak any other languages other than French and English?

ryanvik

Star Member
Jul 6, 2019
Guys, if anyone, who has done flagpolling@Vancouver can confirm, if there is parking available if you are doing flagpolling @the borader.