+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Flagpoling" from Vancouver

philgoodhusband

Star Member
Feb 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My PR application is mercifully nearing the final stages (I hope, at least) now that my passport has been requested. I applied outland but I am currently in Vancouver using my TRV, so I submitted my passport to Ottawa. While I wait for it to be returned with my COPR, I'm trying to find how best to go about exiting and re-entering Canada.

Has anyone here gone through this process from Vancouver before? Any tips about how best to do it (drive? walk? fly? train?), where to go exactly, what to expect at the border, any specific time when I can/cannot do it, how to make sure the PR card isn't delayed, etc? Any advice at all is welcome. I read somewhere that driving to the Peace Arch and walking to the border is one way to do it. Would that make sense? Since my wife walks to work, we don't have a car here, but we can rent one if necessary. We are thinking we might also make a vacation out of it, but only if we find a good deal on flights.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I suggest you flagpole at the Boundary Bay (AKA Point Roberts) border crossing. The lineups are usually much shorter than the other 4 land crossings that are within an hour of each other (Peace Arch, Pacific Highway, Aldergrove, Huntington-Sumas). Besides...Pt. Bob is a geographic oddity that you should see. ;)

You can actually take transit the entire way. The bus stop is about a 3 minute walk from the border.

Good luck!

Reactions: PG-BColumbia

philgoodhusband

Star Member
Feb 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the tip! I'm looking into Point Roberts now. Would you know if I should go there at specific days/times only, or are there border agents 24/7 ready to process any new PRs "landing" there?

MexiJen

Mar 26, 2015
Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Ottawa and Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
App. Filed 24/10/2016, CIC Received 26/10/2016
Doc's Request.
03/03/2016
File Transfer...
SA by E-Mail 08/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04/05/2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10/05/2016
We are also looking for information on Point Roberts in order to flagpole. Please let us know how it goes.

We are flying into Vancouver and plan on going to Point Roberts the next day to "land" so we can get our lives started. The only thing we are worried about is that my spouse still has belongings in Seattle he wants to bring up and not sure how we need to list all the items and do we have to have them listed before we flagpole?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
philgoodhusband said:
Thanks for the tip! I'm looking into Point Roberts now. Would you know if I should go there at specific days/times only, or are there border agents 24/7 ready to process any new PRs "landing" there?
Since it's a 24/7 crossing, you would think that would include immigration services, but...I suggest you simply call CBSA.

Have fun!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MexiJen said:
We are also looking for information on Point Roberts in order to flagpole. Please let us know how it goes.

We are flying into Vancouver and plan on going to Point Roberts the next day to "land" so we can get our lives started. The only thing we are worried about is that my spouse still has belongings in Seattle he wants to bring up and not sure how we need to list all the items and do we have to have them listed before we flagpole?
If you are arriving at the International terminal at YVR, why not land at the airport?

Your spouse will need to have a B4 Goods to Follow form completed prior to landing, to avoid having to pay duties and taxes on those items.

MexiJen

Mar 26, 2015
Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
03/03/2016
File Transfer...
SA by E-Mail 08/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04/05/2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10/05/2016
Well we land after midnight. We weren't sure how long it will take and if they would even do it at that time of night. He is American so he can just come in on his passport.
Do you think they would do it at this time at YVR?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
MexiJen said:
Well we land after midnight. We weren't sure how long it will take and if they would even do it at that time of night. He is American so he can just come in on his passport.
i am under the assumption that all international airports do landing anytime of day. i've never heard of landing restrictions at airports. is that not correct for YVR?

MexiJen

Mar 26, 2015
Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
03/03/2016
File Transfer...
SA by E-Mail 08/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04/05/2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10/05/2016
CDNPR2014 said:
i am under the assumption that all international airports do landing anytime of day. i've never heard of landing restrictions at airports. is that not correct for YVR?
Any idea how long it takes and what all we need to bring?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
MexiJen said:
Any idea how long it takes and what all we need to bring?
there is no way to determine how long a landing will take to complete. it depends on how long the wait is. the process of landing itself takes about 15 minutes, declaring your goods can take the same amount of time or longer.

i don't understand what you mean by "what all we need to bring". in order to land, the pr applicant neds their passport, copr and declaration of goods form, if anything is being declared on or after landing. what you bring in and declare is your own choice.

MexiJen

Mar 26, 2015
Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
03/03/2016
File Transfer...
SA by E-Mail 08/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04/05/2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10/05/2016
CDNPR2014 said:
there is no way to determine how long a landing will take to complete. it depends on how long the wait is. the process of landing itself takes 15 minutes, declaring your goods can take the same amount of time or longer.

i don't understand what you mean by "what all we need to bring". in order to land, the pr applicant neds their passport, copr and declaration of goods form, if anything is being declared on or after landing. what you bring in and declare is your own choice.
Just that information. COPR, Declaration of goods form and passport. Do you have to list the Goods to follow?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
MexiJen said:
Just that information. COPR, Declaration of goods form and passport. Do you have to list the Goods to follow?
yes, if you don't want to be taxed on items that are brought in after landing, it is always best to fill out a form of things you know you will be bringing over later. if you have goods you are landing with AND goods to follow, then you need to fill out 2 separate forms.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
MexiJen said:
Immigration for travellers at YVR is 24/7: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/offices-bureaux/394-eng.html

There will likely be no one in line if you land after midnight, unless there's the chance everyone else in your flight is a landing PR too. :D It will take 15-20 minutes on average, including the customs declaration if you have your lists of incoming and following goods prepared.

MexiJen

Mar 26, 2015
Mexico
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
03/03/2016
File Transfer...
SA by E-Mail 08/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04/05/2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
10/05/2016
bellaluna said:
Immigration for travellers at YVR is 24/7: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/offices-bureaux/394-eng.html

There will likely be no one in line if you land after midnight, unless there's the chance everyone else in your flight is a landing PR too. :D It will take 15-20 minutes on average, including the customs declaration if you have your lists of incoming and following goods prepared.
Thanks very much. Right now, all our things are packed together. I guess I should pack things separately since they will be going through it I am sure.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
MexiJen said:
Thanks very much. Right now, all our things are packed together. I guess I should pack things separately since they will be going through it I am sure.
No one even looked at our belongings.. the whole procedure was 15 minutes, 9pm at night at YVR.