+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpoling for Iranians

ppp

Aug 3, 2009
Hi. Has anybody from Iran had a recent flagpoling experience at the US border? I am wondering the the new travel ban for Iranians would cause any trouble at the border while flagpoling. Thanks for the feedback.

Counselr K

Sep 18, 2019
Flagpoling is a term that describes the process of exiting Canada, being refused entry to the USA, and re-entering Canada to validate your new immigration status in Canada. However, with new travel ban for Iranians, is it sill possible to do flagpoling? Anyone know about it?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020
Does anybody know if Iranians can do flagpoling in Canada these days? I am wondering if they will get into trouble.

Last edited:

Kumuluswolken

Feb 14, 2019
Not sure about Iranian nationals.
I am a German national and had an Iranian visa in my passport (so am excluded from the ESTA system and need a US visa from an embassy). I flagpoled about a year ago (April 2019) and didn't have a US visa and it worked out.
They had a lot of questions about my travel to Iran (Why did I travel? Who do I know there? Where did I stay?) and gave me a form where I had to check and sign off on that I was in Iran after 2011 and need a visa from a US embassy if I ever want to enter the US again. So they asked a lot of questions and have a lot of things on record about my history there now, but in the end it wasn't an issue for the flagpoling itself.

From what I understand the administrative refusal you get from the US officers for flagpoling is not equal to an official refusal of entry since you are not seeking to enter the US and when questioned "did you ever get refused entry to another country?" on future visa applications you can check "no" if this administrative refusal is the only refusal you ever got.

But since I am not an Iranian national (and not a lawyer) I don't know if they would go harder on you (or apply other rules), so take this with a major grain of salt.