+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpoling by foot (no personal car)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
People keep talking about traveling through Canada for the purposes of flagpolling as nonessential travel, but what about traveling *to* Canada for the purpose of activating a work permit? I'm American, and just waiting for my POE letter - I applied online March 19, and processing time estimates 2-3 weeks, however I'm going on 7 weeks now...what difference would it make b/w waiting for the POE letter and traveling to the border to activate the WP, vs. going to the border to activate the WP? I'm about to lose my income and health benefits (last American paycheck is coming soon) because I can't access the job that's waiting for me just across the border.
Are you moving to Canada or just activating your WP?

marrymechrispratt

Apr 27, 2020
Moving to Canada! My job starts tomorrow in Vancouver lol. I'm currently waiting in Detroit with my parents for hell to freeze over. But I've called CBSA and they were like, "yea, we can't guarantee entry at the Peace Arch, and that'd be a shame to go all that way." ...according to IRCC, all I need is a POE letter, or a work permit (should have taken 2 weeks because I have priority processing under Global Skills Strategy and my NOC skill type A). My travel is non-discretionary, and I have a place to quarantine (I've been paying for an apartment in Vancouver since April 1 lmaooooo).

So in my head I'm thinking, "well, if I need a work permit to travel (bc the airline won't let you board without it, or alternatively a POE letter...which at this point, is looking like I'm going to have to wait an eternity for applying online), why not just activate in Windsor (I'm in Detroit right now), and then fly the next day out? I'm not traveling through Canada. I'm not violating the Quarantine Act because I'm currently in the United States. It's this weird limbo land that I'm in, and I can't even call for help because IRCC doesn't provide anyone numbers to call for people outside Canada.

My point is, if I'm eventually traveling to the POE at Peace Arch anyway, what difference does it make that I have a POE letter or not? I'm still doing the exact same travel, with the exact same non-discretionary/essential reason, with the exact same intent to move to and begin my job in Canada. I'm just totally helpless at this point. Sorry for venting.

Last edited: