+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpoling.... Any border?

marpou

Star Member
Mar 12, 2018
Northern Manitoba
They are protecting vulnerable people like children and the sick. All that is required to be issued a work permit without that condition is to complete a medical before applying.

OP is being sponsored by their Canadian partner.
That is absolutely fair! And I have gotten a medical since acquiring the work permit to be able to have the restrictions removed, of course. I just wish it would have been clear that I should have done an upfront medical before applying if I wanted a job in that field, as there was information saying that I couldn’t do an upfront medical when applying for the PR - they issue requests, so I have been under the impression that I couldn’t even do the medical until I got the request.

As soon as I got the OWP and looked into how to remove the restriction, I went and got the medical done. And guess what? I didn’t even have to wait for a medical request for the PR or upload any documents to my account. One day, under status for my PR, I could see that my medical was passed. Just like that.

So it’s rather frustrating having to go through the process of having to reapply for an OWP to have those restrictions removed - especially after having the medical passed and everything, as that seems like a rather minor administrative matter. But it is what it is, I guess.

If you are not aware, your option now is to apply to IRCC to change the conditions on your work permit. It will unfortunately take at least a few weeks and you will have to pay the fees again.
Oh, I’m aware! I was just hoping of a quicker way, as the school year starts right away and I was planning on getting a job in a school setting.

marpou

Star Member
Mar 12, 2018
Northern Manitoba
Out of curiosity, and if you do not mind sharing, why did you leave the US?
Well, I just went there for the flagpoling. And decided to make it an overnight shopping trip out of it, haha :) I am a Danish citizen currently residing in Canada as I wait for my PR.

And while it does suck that I currently can’t work in the field that I want, I am very grateful to just have the OWP and be fortunate enough to actually have a full time job. I was just really hopeful about this trip, as it did seem like a lot of people did have success with flagpoling.

Reactions: unlucky_chaser

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That is absolutely fair! And I have gotten a medical since acquiring the work permit to be able to have the restrictions removed, of course. I just wish it would have been clear that I should have done an upfront medical before applying if I wanted a job in that field, as there was information saying that I couldn’t do an upfront medical when applying for the PR - they issue requests, so I have been under the impression that I couldn’t even do the medical until I got the request.

As soon as I got the OWP and looked into how to remove the restriction, I went and got the medical done. And guess what? I didn’t even have to wait for a medical request for the PR or upload any documents to my account. One day, under status for my PR, I could see that my medical was passed. Just like that.

So it’s rather frustrating having to go through the process of having to reapply for an OWP to have those restrictions removed - especially after having the medical passed and everything, as that seems like a rather minor administrative matter. But it is what it is, I guess.

Oh, I’m aware! I was just hoping of a quicker way, as the school year starts right away and I was planning on getting a job in a school setting.
Yeah, it is frustrating and IRCC definitely could be clearer about the requirement.

marpou

Star Member
Mar 12, 2018
Northern Manitoba
Yeah, it is frustrating and IRCC definitely could be clearer about the requirement.
Oh well.. at least everything went smoothly in terms of re-entry (I was a little nervous as people seem to advice PR applicants to not leave the country). And to be fair, everyone I’v talked to has been nice and friendly.... so, overall it definitely could be worse, haha

Jfwool

Dec 10, 2018
Oh well.. at least everything went smoothly in terms of re-entry (I was a little nervous as people seem to advice PR applicants to not leave the country). And to be fair, everyone I’v talked to has been nice and friendly.... so, overall it definitely could be worse, haha
Hi there I am in a very similar situation to you. I'm curious how it all turned out?

marpou

Star Member
Mar 12, 2018
Northern Manitoba
Hi there I am in a very similar situation to you. I'm curious how it all turned out?
Well, I ended up applying to change my conditions on paper in early September. Never heard back on that, but ended up becoming a PR on Dec. 3rd, so I don’t really need to remove that restriction anymore anyways:)