+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpole

Akshit verma

Apr 20, 2019
I want to ask If my TRV is expired but I got the approval for the Visitor Record. As I have the Positive LMIA then Can I do flagpole for the work permit or do I need a valid TRV for the flagpole?

Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I want to ask If my TRV is expired but I got the approval for the Visitor Record. As I have the Positive LMIA then Can I do flagpole for the work permit or do I need a valid TRV for the flagpole?

You want a valid TRV. A visitor record Is to remain in Canada. Once you leave, it is no longer required. CBSA will deny you entry into Canada because you don’t have a valid TRV.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What about his work permit ? Is he not gona enter again as a worker on base on his lmia work permit. Trv is required if he is requesting to come as a visitor which he is not. ? As it is mention on his trv visitor on his visa.
He is not entering Canada as a worker because he doesn’t have a work permit on entry. He needs a valid TRV to enter Canada. A work permit lets you work but not enter. OP doesn’t have a valid TRV.

Aadi007

Apr 1, 2019
He is not entering Canada as a worker because he doesn’t have a work permit on entry. He needs a valid TRV to enter Canada. A work permit lets you work but not enter. OP doesn’t have a valid TRV.
Leaving and re-entering Canada while under implied status:

You may be authorized to re-enter Canada:

• As a temporary resident, if your application to extend your stay has not yet been approved (if applicable, it will be important to wait until you receive your new permit before you start to work/study):
    • this applies to you if, among other things:
      • you are temporary resident visa (TRV)exempt,
      • you hold a valid multiple-entry visa, or
      • you have travelled only to the United States (including its Territories and Possessions) and/or St.Pierre and Miquelon,
  • As a worker or student:
    • if the officer determines that your application to extend your permit was approved while you were outside Canada, or
    • if you are eligible to apply for a new work or study permit at your arrival in Canada.
An officer will ask you questions to see if you meet all of the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada.

as they mention above (or u have traveled to america )

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Leaving and re-entering Canada while under implied status:

You may be authorized to re-enter Canada:

• As a temporary resident, if your application to extend your stay has not yet been approved (if applicable, it will be important to wait until you receive your new permit before you start to work/study):
    • this applies to you if, among other things:
      • you are temporary resident visa (TRV)exempt,
      • you hold a valid multiple-entry visa, or
      • you have travelled only to the United States (including its Territories and Possessions) and/or St.Pierre and Miquelon,
  • As a worker or student:
    • if the officer determines that your application to extend your permit was approved while you were outside Canada, or
    • if you are eligible to apply for a new work or study permit at your arrival in Canada.
An officer will ask you questions to see if you meet all of the requirements before allowing you to come back to Canada.

as they mention above (or u have traveled to america )
You are quoting for workers and students. A visitor record says that you have visitor status in Canada and how long you can stay. It doesn’t guarantee that you can leave and then re-enter Canada. A visitor record is cancelled once you leave Canada. If a temporary resident in Canada on implied status leaves the country, he or she may be permitted to re-enter as a temporary resident Canada if:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html

The following foreign nationals are permitted to Flagpole:
  1. Residents of visa-exempt countries with an LMIA-exempt job.
  2. Residents of visa-exempt countries in possession of a positive LMIA.
  3. Residents of the U.S., St. Pierre & Miquelon and Greenland.
  4. Residents of visa-required countries already in possession of a study or work permit (flagpoling for the purposes of renewal).
Again if OP wants to try then go ahead.

Reactions: Akshit verma

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
My wife got her SOWP approved but never received it in the mail (we moved during the process, sent a webform with the new address but apparently they still sent it to the old address). She then sent a request to get a copy of her lost work permit, but it's been 6 weeks and still no news from IRCC. She has a valid Canadian TRV and a valid US visitor visa. Can she cross the border, enter the US, and then enter back to Canada to request her work permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

If you needed a TRV and are currently a visitor you likely don’t qualify to flagpole for a WP and need to apply online. That is the bigger issue.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Akshit verma

Apr 20, 2019
If you needed a TRV and are currently a visitor you likely don’t qualify to flagpole for a WP and need to apply online. That is the bigger issue.
Why I don't qualify for flagpole one who has the positive Lmia can go to the border and 28 feb is the online to apply for the work permit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why I don't qualify for flagpole one who has the positive Lmia can go to the border and 28 feb is the online to apply for the work permit.
You can only flagpole in certain situations and yours isn’t one of them. If you are a visitor and haven’t had a previous work permit or study permit and required a visa to enter Canada you don’t qualify to flagpole. You must apply online. Please do further research. Applying while inside Canada is also different than flagpoling.

Reactions: Akshit verma

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did u call the helpline?

You’d actually want to call the border you plan on attempting to flagpole at to see if you qualify to flagpole and whether they are accepting flagpolers and when/how many per day. Since I can remember there hasn’t been a situation where visitors from non-visa-exempt countries can get a WP via flagpoling. They only would qualify if they were previously in a WP or SP.