+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpole with children

simls0404

Jul 7, 2019
Hi, I am going to study in Manitoba. I intended to apply Study Permit (SP) and Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) for my wife with my 6 month-old children. Yet, after searching for certain information, it would be deemed as the vast intention of immigration so there will be high opportunity refused by Canada. Consequently, I believe that Flagpole would be a better solution.

Appreciating this forum, there are tones of useful information regarding this issue. I have inquired a lot from here. Yet, I could not find any method about flagpole with children.

Could anyone provide me details about this? Thank you so much.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Maybe clarify what you mean high opportunity to be refused by Canada ? Have you submitted an application to IRCC for a study permit together with your offer letter and SOWP plus are you already in Canada ? Are you and your family visa exempt passport holders ?

Reactions: andy.keeling

simls0404

Jul 7, 2019
Maybe clarify what you mean high opportunity to be refused by Canada ? Have you submitted an application to IRCC for a study permit together with your offer letter and SOWP plus are you already in Canada ? Are you and your family visa exempt passport holders ?
Hi, thank you for your attention.
"Maybe clarify what you mean high opportunity to be refused by Canada?"
Ans: Since my whole family (My wife, children and me) will come to Canada, the application of my Study Permit will be probably rejected because Canada government would think that we won't return my country after finish the course.

Have you submitted an application to IRCC for a study permit together with your offer letter and SOWP plus are you already in Canada?
Ans: Not yet. I am planning to apply for a Study Permit. I am not in Canada.

I planned to apply for both Study Permit and SOWP offshore. Nonetheless, I have found that flagpole would be the better method for the application since the rate of refusal is lower. So I would like to ask how can I do flagpole with my 18 months children. Thank you.

Last edited:

Prateek1193

Star Member
Jun 15, 2014
Hi, thank you for your attention.
"Maybe clarify what you mean high opportunity to be refused by Canada?"
Ans: Since my whole family (My wife, children and me) will come to Canada, the application of my Study Permit will be probably rejected because Canada government would think that we won't return my country after finish the course.

Have you submitted an application to IRCC for a study permit together with your offer letter and SOWP plus are you already in Canada?
Ans: Not yet. I am planning to apply for a Study Permit. I am not in Canada.

I planned to apply for both Study Permit and SOWP offshore. Nonetheless, I have found that flagpole would be the better method for the application since the rate of refusal is lower. So I would like to ask how can I do flagpole with my 18 months children. Thank you.
Study permits are not issued via flagpoling. You would have to submit your study permit application from your country of residence. Once approved, you can apply for the visitor visa for your wife and child. When they are in Canada, your wife can apply for SWOP via flagpoling and change her status from visitor to worker. There are some conditions you need to fulfill before she is eligible to apply.

Reactions: Bitema

simls0404

Jul 7, 2019
Study permits are not issued via flagpoling. You would have to submit your study permit application from your country of residence. Once approved, you can apply for the visitor visa for your wife and child. When they are in Canada, your wife can apply for SWOP via flagpoling and change her status from visitor to worker. There are some conditions you need to fulfill before she is eligible to apply.
Thank you so much. It is my fault that did not illustrate properly. I understand that I need the Study permits first, and then my wife and my children entry Canada via Vistor visa. After than, my wife can apply SOWP onshore.

Here are some questions:
What visa should my children apply for?
Do my wife need " no criminal record and get a police certificate" ?

Thank you so much!

Prateek1193

Star Member
Jun 15, 2014
Thank you so much. It is my fault that did not illustrate properly. I understand that I need the Study permits first, and then my wife and my children entry Canada via Vistor visa. After than, my wife can apply SOWP onshore.

Here are some questions:
What visa should my children apply for?
Do my wife need " no criminal record and get a police certificate" ?

Thank you so much!
I am not sure for the child, but no police certificate required for the visitor visa and for SWOP after.
For the child, I believe there is a accompanying family section in the visa application.

simls0404

Jul 7, 2019
I am not sure for the child, but no police certificate required for the visitor visa and for SWOP after.

For the child, I believe there is a accompanying family section in the visa application.
Thank you for your time. Is the "no criminal record" not required as well?
Also, why the no criminal record or police certificate is necessary for online application for SOWP in accordance with my friend's experience?

Thanks a lot.

Prateek1193

Star Member
Jun 15, 2014
Thank you for your time. Is the "no criminal record" not required as well?
Also, why the no criminal record or police certificate is necessary for online application for SOWP in accordance with my friend's experience?

Thanks a lot.
It’s just not required by immigration for SOWP. You can on their website for required documents.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Children should get TRV if in elementary/secondary school or younger. Wife should apply for SOWP. You should be applying for your study permit in your home country.

simls0404

Jul 7, 2019
It’s just not required by immigration for SOWP. You can on their website for required documents.
Thank you again. I have checked the website (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/eligibility.html)
and there are certain requirements confusing me:

There are specific requirements you need to meet depending on where you are when you apply for your work permit.
But regardless of where you apply or which type of work permit you apply for, you must:

In accordance with the website, do my wife need it? Thank you again.